Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Best JBL EVER?

Quote Originally Posted by Maron Horonzakz View Post
    Loyed Smith was quite the gentilman,, he used to snack on a stick of butter with a touch of honey... His audio setup was always the grandest,,Lp records in shelves stacked to the ceiling,,,Yes those Marantz Mod 9,s looked great I dont know if you knew John Marshall flew Jet fighters,,He also had quite a history,Loved his restraunt under the Audio store,That special beef sandwich and the cleopatra ice cream for dessert,, With the McIntosh audio system & JBL,s in the background ,, Judge Cahill used to hang out there,,The last time I was in the new Thomas Eagleton Federal building,, There was Cahill,s portrate on the wall,,He also had a great audio system,, OOOOOhh those were the days..
    I knew John Marshall quite well . He had excellent resturants. Judge Cahill , used Klipschorns as his main speaker system.
    Lloyd Smith and my wife were also friends. . I met
    Lloyd in 1958 while shopping in Aeolian. Lloyd was sort of a mentor.

I had purchased Stephens for my first speaker system at Aeolian. Stephens were excellent speakers. At that time audiophiles were making the change from mono to stereo. Stereo records than were not very good. I bought only a few stereo records , mostly mono records,
    which are now very valuable. Example Miles Davis " Kind of Blue " in mono.
    That Lp in mono now sells for several hundred dollars. stereo much less.

Times were different, component Audio was new, Eisenhower was President. An ice cream cone was still a nickle and a coke a dime.
    And men really respected women , oh yes and Hollywood had a " code of
    decency " A male actor when he got in bed with a women had to keep one foot on the floor. Living together without marriage was unacceptable.
    Those were the days !

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post

one of Frank's original engineers who now at 83 has high tech hearing aides that allow him to hear as well as he did at 18. Apparently these hearing aides are connected to a computer and can be electronically equalized to give you correct hearing once again.

I am sure they are horrifically expensive, but at least there is hope that we'll still be able to enjoy our systems and the high frequencies well into our '80s... if we have the means.

Widget
    It was about 5 years ago that I heard Sony had a patent for an audio/video device which would bypass your ears and eyes and enable your brain to experience sound and vision like you were young or even better. It's yet to be invented. But if it were, it would kinda take the fun out of it, wouldn't it. This is why I don't post more often. I don't wanna bring everybody down.

Listening to (or rather reading) Maron and Wolf brings back many memories for me. I too (like BMW) grew up in St. Louis and bought my first JBL kits from HiFi Showroom (and from Hi-Fi-Fo-Fum). And in early 1974, Bob Shaw once took me to a house next door to his store -- with big old Bozaks in the corner -- to show off Pink Floyd playing through Audio Research magnaplanar speakers. Yes, the good old days!

Maron Horonzakz
    Hi Fi Fo Fum is still standing,,,, Hi Fi Showroom,,Hi Fi West, Bob Shaws place, Napper Radio ,Aeolian,Van Sickle are long gone,,

Quote Originally Posted by jerry_rig View Post
    Listening to (or rather reading) Maron and Wolf brings back many memories for me. I too (like BMW) grew up in St. Louis and bought my first JBL kits from HiFi Showroom (and from Hi-Fi-Fo-Fum).
    I most likely already mentioned this but my Fisher SA-1000 and my Mac C-20 (which I still have) came from Best Sound which I believe was near where Hi-Fi Fo Fum is now, on Brentwood Blvd. Was the owner's name Les Marcus or something like that?

One of my Dad's regular nights out was with the whole family at the Lotus Room restaurant down the block from Best Sound. #7, shrimp in lobster sauce was the favorite for both of us.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I most likely already mentioned this but my Fisher SA-1000 and my Mac C-20 (which I still have) came from Best Sound which I believe was near where Hi-Fi Fo Fum is now, on Brentwood Blvd. Was the owner's name Les Marcus or something like that?

One of my Dad's regular nights out was with the whole family at the Lotus Room restaurant down the block from Best Sound. #7, shrimp in lobster sauce was the favorite for both of us.
    Les Marcus worked for Harvey Bender at HIFI West as a salesman and later opened his own store on Brentwood Blvd.

Hi-Fi Fo Fum first open on Big Bend near Hwy 1-40. The Fisher SA-1000
    was an outstanding tuner. Goes for a very nice price on Ebay today.
    I owned a Fisher 200B , not as good as the SA-1000.

Fisher produced excellent audio equipment before it was sold to Superscope. Avery Fisher was an excellent founder of that company
    a man who loved music , Avery Fisher hall is an example of Mr.Fisher's
    love for the arts.

Quote Originally Posted by jerry_rig View Post
    Listening to (or rather reading) Maron and Wolf brings back many memories for me. I too (like BMW) grew up in St. Louis and bought my first JBL kits from HiFi Showroom (and from Hi-Fi-Fo-Fum). And in early 1974, Bob Shaw once took me to a house next door to his store -- with big old Bozaks in the corner -- to show off Pink Floyd playing through Audio Research magnaplanar speakers. Yes, the good old days!
    If you had gone to Bob Shaw's home it would have blew your mine.
    He used his garage for his speaker enclosure. The bass was unbelivable !
    Bob was using 6 audio Research mono power amps.

I built a Bozak speaker system from kits. The Symphonys.
    We had a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfshead View Post
    Les Marcus worked for Harvey Bender at HIFI West as a salesman and later opened his own store on Brentwood Blvd.

Hi-Fi Fo Fum first open on Big Bend near Hwy 1-40. The Fisher SA-1000
    was an outstanding tuner. Goes for a very nice price on Ebay today.
    I owned a Fisher 200B , not as good as the SA-1000.

Fisher produced excellent audio equipment before it was sold to Superscope. Avery Fisher was an excellent founder of that company
    a man who loved music , Avery Fisher hall is an example of Mr.Fisher's
    love for the arts.
    Didn't Marantz become Superscope?
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by spkrman57 View Post
    I heard a pair of Hartsfields once playing Pink Floyd and I thought there was very much that sounded wonderful even if there were faults I could also hear.

I would love to have a modern version of that system today!!!

Regards, Ron
    There was a company , Classic Audio Reproductions offered Hartsfields for sale in 1998. I don't think they are still in business. They had a price list which I can't find.

Not only are they expensive to build , one must have two corners walls. A problem for most homes. They weight 280 pounds each.
    Sound Reproductions Hartsfeilds had a cutoff point at 800 cps. The older Hartsfield cutoff point was 500 cps.

If the source material is not excellent the Hartsfields will expose it.
    Big speaker systems simply did not survive stereo. Especially front loaded horns. When used as mono speakers they were great.

The Electro-Voice Patrician was also an outstanding front loaded horn.
    The Klps less because of poor drivers. Tannoy and Jenson built excellent rear loaded horns. They did not need corners.

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    Didn't Marantz become Superscope?
    Yes. Saul Marantz worked for Superscope as a consulant. Their 3800 pre-amp , 150 tuner and 510M power amp was quite good , but expensive for the times. All transistors.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfshead View Post
    Yes. Saul Marantz worked for Superscope as a consulant. Their 3800 pre-amp , 150 tuner and 510M power amp was quite good , but expensive for the times. All transistors.
    I have seen 70,s Marantz recievers that had the Superscope name engraved on the front panel as well as the Marantz name.
    scottyj

Cs3115 for $300

Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 1810
Size:  87.0 KB

Thumbs up Cs3115 for $300

Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 1810
Size:  87.0 KB

can wait to see what these sound like. Just got them 2 days ago.

Nice pickup

Quote Originally Posted by srm51555 View Post
    Nice pickup
    And thanks for reviving this old thread that had me walking down the St. Louis Memory Lane, again!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Thread Information