Thread: Replace Altec 15's with JBL L890's?

Replace Altec 15's with JBL L890's?

I have an old set of Altec 15's which I have replaced the 12" drivers, rebuilt the crossovers and repaired the horns on. they still sound good but I am thinking of replacing them with JBL L890's. What does everybody think? I listen to Rock ( Blue Oyster Cult, Dragonforce, Iron Maiden) as well as other less head banging stuff (Chase). I'm driving them with an HK 3475.

Quote Originally Posted by lumberjackjack View Post
    I have an old set of Altec 15's which I have replaced the 12" drivers, rebuilt the crossovers and repaired the horns on. they still sound good but I am thinking of replacing them with JBL L890's. What does everybody think? I listen to Rock ( Blue Oyster Cult, Dragonforce, Iron Maiden) as well as other less head banging stuff (Chase). I'm driving them with an HK 3475.
    The model 15 is a studio monitor, just like the 19. to my ears the 15 doesn't lack in the bass department at all, it may be a cheaper stamped basket, 12" driver but it does its job well. Besides, when you go mixing and matching, the speakers lose their value quick, the 802-8G is a very nice performer also. If you are lackin bass, play with placement. The closer they are to the floor, the more bass you will get out of them. I would keep them original, those are getting very hard to find.

Thread Information