Page 719 of 721 FirstFirst ... 219619669709717718719720721 LastLast
Results 10,771 to 10,785 of 10810

Thread: What's Playing Now

Grand Funk Railroad, Survival, 1971, Capitol France, C 064 80783

Survival of the strongest.
    Listen to B3 "Gimme Shelter": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M9E7BsbHd0 and A4 Mason's "Feeling Alright": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOcrRt8p2J4

Attached Images Attached Images   
    -= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

Wow, thanks Fritz! You've got quite the collection of G.F! I'll give those tunes a spin and report back...

GFR

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    Wow, thanks Fritz! You've got quite the collection of G.F! I'll give those tunes a spin and report back...
    Bitte sehr, gern geschehen! What else?
    -= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

Led Zeppelin, Hots on for Nowhere:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqGHk-9HdyE

Discovered this tune the other day while sifting through my library. Page & Bonham doing what they do best, can't believe I've only just now discovered it.

P.S.

Just realized I never listened to Fritz's suggestions.

James Montgomery Band, Same, 1976, Island USA, ILPS 9419

A lost gem: one of the most perfect combinations of New Orleans Funk and Bluesrock. Fat horns!
    Hardly surprising: produced by Allen Toussaint at Sea-Saint Recording New Orleans! Remember the great heritage of The Meters...
    Listen to "Hotcha Mama" A4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w53FIgDrrBU

I finally got to those links..

Grand FUNK:

I did not know "Gimmie Shelter" would be the very same tune by the Stones. Cool. Love that they've got Mel's bass mastered loud & proud. If only he got a little more funky with it. Inversely, there is a guitar interlude by Mark that is all but muted.. This would make my garage play list, but the Stone's version has a little something going on that puts it a cut above Funk's.

Didn't know they covered this tune either (Feelin' Alright). Mel's bass in this and spots of the instrumentals remind me of "I'm Your Captain." Diggin' on this one, prefer this version over Cocker's.

Listened to Hotcha Mama.. Fat horns indeed, just not front row center enough. Something was missing, could've used a jam interlude with some funky basslines intertwined with those horns..

Ted Atking Orchestra, Rhythm'n Blues for Dancing, 1972, Varieton Switzerland, SPS1312

Um Himmels Willen - was ist denn das für eine Wahnsinnsplatte???

Found in a second-hand shop for 1 SFr. (we pay 4-5 SFr. for an Espresso!)
    A very interesting and astonishing discovery.
    Different delusions by the cover art/sleeve/designation:
    1. It wasn't "for dancing"
    2. It's not an orchestra in the style of Ted Heath, Count Basie or so
    3. It not just R'n'B, its multifaceted
    4. It's not "Easy Listening"

It's a driving kind of instrumental Brass-Jazz-Bluesrock with strong psychedelic influences. I remember the similar style of albums by Alexis Korner with CCS!
    Discogs says: French trumpeter under pseudonym (???)
    Anybody has further explanations?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dM_-bUBiq0s&t=29s

Hmm, I can almost see the bellbottoms and taste the cigarette smoke while listening to that one.

Strawbs, From The Witchwood, 1971, AM Canada, SP 4304

Beautiful sounds from the strawberry wizards. The wizard on Keyboards and clarinet(!): Rick Wakeman.
    Produced by Tony Visconti (the wizard of T.Rex, Bowie and many others)
    Discogs says: He was married to Siegrid Visconti. After divorcing her, he married Mary Hopkin from 1971 until they divorced in 1981; the pair has two children, Jessica Lee Morgan and Morgan Visconti. In 1989, he married his third wife, May Pang; they had two children before they divorced in 2000. Currently living together with his girlfriend Kristeen Young.

Three Dog Night, Seven Separate Fools, 1972, Dunhill USA, DSD 50118

Found this one in a second hand store for 2 SFr. Sleeve was in lousy condition. After repair/restoration now in good shape again.
    Beach Boys founder Brian Wilson placed the LP at No. 3 among his all-time Top Ten favorite records in a 2016 conversation with Esquire's Middle East branch. Wilson succinctly stated, "Danny Hutton’s vocals are truly on point."
    https://www.esquireme.com/culture/mu...ourite-records

"Going in Circles", I know that one. Funny what other artists covet as their favorite albums. Having listened to that one, "Going in Circles" was the only memorable tune for me. Cover restoration? How did you restore it? I always thought if they were pooched, that was it, no bringing them back.

Tony Visconti got around! Planted seeds everywhere he went, too. Mary Hopkin was a cutie. I thought May Pang was a familiar name, also from Discogs:
    "
    May Pang (b. 1950) is a production coordinator, best known as John Lennon's ex-girlfriend during Lennon-Ono temporary breakup in 1970s. This time was later described by Lennon as his "Lost Weekend", but May Pang disagrees, saying that "during this period, John was actually the most productive and successful in his post-Beatles career", releasing his first and last #1 single "Whatever Gets You Thru The Night" and his first #1 album Walls And Bridges, and also actively collaborating with Elton John, David Bowie, Harry Nilsson and Ringo Starr. This period also marks the only collaboration Lennon and McCartney ever had after The Beatles break-up, and this jam is documented on famous A Toot And A Snore In '74 bootleg (Pang is even credited for "Sympathy" on the back cover).
    "

Restoration of Album-Sleeves

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    "Going in Circles", I know that one. Funny what other artists covet as their favorite albums. Having listened to that one, "Going in Circles" was the only memorable tune for me. Cover restoration? How did you restore it? I always thought if they were pooched, that was it, no bringing them back.

Tony Visconti got around! Planted seeds everywhere he went, too. Mary Hopkin was a cutie. I thought May Pang was a familiar name, also from Discogs:
    "
    May Pang (b. 1950) is a production coordinator, best known as John Lennon's ex-girlfriend during Lennon-Ono temporary breakup in 1970s. This time was later described by Lennon as his "Lost Weekend", but May Pang disagrees, saying that "during this period, John was actually the most productive and successful in his post-Beatles career", releasing his first and last #1 single "Whatever Gets You Thru The Night" and his first #1 album Walls And Bridges, and also actively collaborating with Elton John, David Bowie, Harry Nilsson and Ringo Starr. This period also marks the only collaboration Lennon and McCartney ever had after The Beatles break-up, and this jam is documented on famous A Toot And A Snore In '74 bootleg (Pang is even credited for "Sympathy" on the back cover).
    "

Restoration/Repair of the sleeves: you need colored pencils, permanent markers, a scalpel, universal adhesive, pieces of cardboard and paper, adhesive foil for protection of front and back side (the same as used for school-books) and sometimes plenty of imagination ...
    Attention: do not use cellotapes on front an back sides of the sleeve!
    Sometimes i have to replace a missing or irreparable sleeve with a fancy self made one. (See this example. You know the original sleeve!)

Repair/Restoration/Replacement

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz The Cat View Post
    Restoration/Repair of the sleeves: you need colored pencils, permanent markers, a scalpel, universal adhesive, pieces of cardboard and paper, adhesive foil for protection of front and back side (the same as used for school-books) and sometimes plenty of imagination ...
    Attention: do not use cellotapes on front an back sides of the sleeve!
    Sometimes i have to replace a missing or irreparable sleeve with a fancy self made one. (See this example. You know the original sleeve!)

Here another example of a fancy repair: https://www.audioheritage.org/vbulle...l=1#post382209

Rolling Stones, Hackney Diamonds, 2023, Polydor EU, 554645 5

Happy Birthday Mr. Richards!
    Listen to "Driving me too hard" B3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AToCnrHDFE0
    Great Guitars!

From your link, "..Keith Richards, the best worst guitar player ever!" I agree, think he gets too much credit. I like him, but Ronnie Wood does a better job IMO. Although I gotta say, the opening to "Honky Tonk Women" is great. That riff is great, especially when Charlie Watts' percussion comes splashing in.

Hey Fritz, you got any Steve Miller in your collection? Lookin' to hear "Behind the Barn."

Thread Information