Page 215 of 721 FirstFirst ... 115165205213214215216217225265315715 ... LastLast
Results 3,211 to 3,225 of 10810

Thread: What's Playing Now

earlier...

The Doors - Waiting For The Sun

(1968, Elektra) brown label original pressing

now...

The Doors - 13
    (1970, Elektra) original pressing butterfly label

a compilation release of 13 songs, the Doors first compilation and the only one released before Jim Morrison's death. I have a couple of copies of this record, both butterfly label with the coverl/abel text the same on both, however the one of the cover photos has a blue tint and a grainy-er higher contrast photo, and the other one is more neutral. Not sure if the differences show up in the photo here - higher contrast cover is on the right.
    Fosgate Signature Tube Phono Pre/Rega P9/Benz Wood/McIntosh MC 2205/JBL 4430

David Bowie - Space Oddity
    (1969/72, RCA)

First released in 1969 on Mercury as Man of Words/Man of Music. with Terry Cox of The Pentangle, Rick Wakeman.

Flamin' Groovies - Jumpin' in the Night
    [1979, Sire]

Name:  flamin' groovies 1.jpg
Views: 1261
Size:  201.5 KBName:  flamin' groovies 2.jpg
Views: 1090
Size:  205.2 KB

Grrreat rock'n'roll in the vein of Stones, Beatles and Byrds. Cool cover of Zevon's "Werewolves of London" . Many great tracks. This is a classic record.

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    Dexter Gordon, One Flight Up. Recorded in Paris, 1964. If this isn't his best recording, I am not sure what is. Thanks, Krunchy.
    I always benefit from your knowledge of Jazz, even if your crank orientation is 90-degrees out!
    Name:  a_bmw.gif
Views: 813
Size:  65.6 KB

Your contribution reminds me that I think there is a need for a similar thread that doesn't so much document everything anyone is listening to at the moment but suggestions for the best of what you've listened to that others might want to know about. For many of us (well, I'll speak for myself) that might be just great recordings regardless of genre. Something you'd want to turn others on to instead of what happens to be on the table at the moment. Maybe something like "Best-recordings recommendations, new or old".

I've come across some great recordings from mention on this site as well as offerings from friends. I'd love to share them but quite frankly I don't think those who might also benefit from exposure to them are interested in this thread enough to follow it for those infrequent nuggets.

BTW, Dexter Gordon's One Flight Up is in my Amazon cart as we speak. Thanks.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Bob Gibson - self titled
    (1970, Capitol)

an influential 60s folk singer-songwriter, his career was sidetracked by drugs and alcohol. He co-wrote a lot of songs with Shel Silverstein, several included here along with covers of Gordon Lightfoot, John Prine and Bob Dylan songs. Recorded in LA, includes uncredited electric rock arrangements; includes a note of thanks for gracious cooperation to Roger McGuinn, Chris Hillman, David Crosby, Denny Doherty, Cyrus Faryar, Rick Roberts, Bud Shank.

Kate Bush - The Kick Inside
    (1977, EMI) MASTERED BY CAPITOL in the deadwax; mastered by Wally Traugott at Capitol Records.

includes thanks to David Gilmour for "rolling the ball" in the beginning; he helped her get into the studio. A recent $1 find, the cover is rough but the record is excellent and cleaned up well on the VPI 16.5.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I always benefit from your knowledge of Jazz, even if your crank orientation is 90-degrees out!

Your contribution reminds me that I think there is a need for a similar thread that doesn't so much document everything anyone is listening to at the moment but suggestions for the best of what you've listened to that others might want to know about. For many of us (well, I'll speak for myself) that might be just great recordings regardless of genre. Something you'd want to turn others on to instead of what happens to be on the table at the moment. Maybe something like "Best-recordings recommendations, new or old".

I've come across some great recordings from mention on this site as well as offerings from friends. I'd love to share them but quite frankly I don't think those who might also benefit from exposure to them are interested in this thread enough to follow it for those infrequent nuggets.

BTW, Dexter Gordon's One Flight Up is in my Amazon cart as we speak. Thanks.
    That is a wonderful graphic. I guess you are not a K bike fan.

Pretty early in this thread someone did lament that they thought its intent was as you suggest. I say no matter, it now exposes us to a whole bunch of music we might not otherwise ever hear of. No matter, that is, as long as there is another thread like you suggest. I say start it now! It will be like the two movie music threads we have, one being about soundtracks and the other about music. Room for both, and both valuable.

Another possible thread title might be "Favorite Recordings" or "Favorite Music." The latter would separate it, semantically, from recording quality and put it squarely in the music category. I feel that recording quality is, while a major high fidelity issue, a minor or irrelevant issue in reference to music. I sometimes listen to an old low rez mp3 of an old 1930s recording. It is the only way I have found it, and I enjoy it very much. Speaking for myself, it is all about the music. I think music can enrich our lives and our inner consciousness, but hifi can only facilitate experiencing music.

The word "favorite" is probably not good, now that I think about it. "Great" or "Superior" Music would eliminate the nostalgia factor. Music is not great just because it figures prominently in the soundtrack of our lives. What was playing when we had our first date with our wives may or may not be superior music.

It is nice that you trust my taste in Jazz, but sooner or later you will be burned, of course. I would say that if both Krunchy and I like a recording, go for it. Krunchy has great taste in music and equipment. He is a really great guy as well. I am proud to call him a friend. And he is the reason I ever heard One Flight Up, and a bunch of other now favorite discs. I expect that he would be a contributor to the new thread, as well as you and I.

Anyway, great idea.

Clark
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

The Byrds - Byrdmaniax
    (1971, Columbia)

not one of the better efforts in the Byrds catalog, with post-production horns and strings added to some songs without the band's knowledge or wishes. Includes a couple of songs originally recorded a year earlier for the (Untitled) record, and a cover of Jackson Browne's "Jamaica Say You Will".

John Stewart - The Lonesome Picker Rides Again
    (1971, Warner Bros) Artisan symbol in the deadwax; White label promo

I really enjoy Stewart's solo records, especially California Bloodlines. This is his 4th release and includes Stewart's version of Daydream Believer, which he wrote for The Monkees (and was a #1 hit single for them).

The Howard Roberts Quartet - H.R. Is A Dirty Guitar Player
    (1963, Capitol)

Inspired by Michael Fremer's review[/URL] of the $18.98 180g Sundazed reissue of this classic Jazz guitar record, review title: "Do you like it warm and three dimensional?" Yes I'm a fan of the mellow-sounding hollow-bodied electric guitar sound. This is the only HR record cover that I've seen without a bikini clad babe on it.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakerLabFan View Post

Inspired by Michael Fremer
    MF ? we could have a big thread on him ....he and AD are 2 of the reasons that I'm letting my Stereophile subscription lapse.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

The Paul Butterfield Blues Band - self titled
    (1965, Elektra) EKL-294 Mono pressing

debut record with the guitars from Mike Bloomfield and Elvin Bishop. side 2 leads off with Screamin' - a 4:30 instrumental written by Bloomfield.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    MF ? we could have a big thread on him ....he and AD are 2 of the reasons that I'm letting my Stereophile subscription lapse.
    No controversy here. I just check out his musicangle blog once in awhile, and enjoy reading his appreciation for the LP format.

The Bobby Fuller Four - I Fought The Law
    [1966, Mustang]

Name:  bobby fuller.jpg
Views: 992
Size:  244.4 KB

Power pop, great!!!

The Doors - self titled
    (1967, Elektra)

Recorded August 1966 at Sunset Sound Recorders, Hollywood, CA; released January 1967.

Neil Young & Crazy Horse - American Stars 'n Bars
    (1977, Reprise)

with Linda Ronstadt, Nicolette Larson, EmmyLou Harris on backing vocals on several songs. Hard to pick a favorite, but this is one of the the post-On The Beach Neil Young records that I like a lot.

Thread Information