Page 83 of 721 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593133183583 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,245 of 10810

Thread: What's Playing Now

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    I had forgotten how good BOTW is... .4 disks...total $3
    See if you can find a copy of S&G Live in Ohio, USA - Nov 11, 1969. Its an underground release of the audio from a never aired AT&T sponsored TV show, recorded at Miami University in Ohio. Features " a song off our new album" that apparently hadn't been heard yet. No one responds to the opening notes of the song Bridge over Troubled water (and Artie's voice is still young and sweet). Its amazing. Plus a nice version of "So Long, Frank Loyd Wright". And the song that got the show canned by the sponsors "Cuba Si, Nixon No".

Its hard to find album but its actually quite nice.
    A compilation release from later in the year is due out at some point -
    http://www.kink.fm/pages/1560496.php?

The tracks are a bit different than the show I have - but I'd imagine anything from that period is very fine -
    the guys were at their peak, the musicians from the BOTW album were touring with them ...

Here's what they say about the coming (authorized) release - Live 1969":

"Homeward Bound" (11/15/69, Long Beach, Calif.)
    "At the Zoo" (11/27/69, New York)
    "The 59th Street Bridge Song (Feelin' Groovy)" (11/8/69, Carbondale, Ill.)
    "Song for the Asking" (11/15/69, Long Beach, Calif.)
    "Scarborough Fair/Canticle" (11/28/69, New York)
    "Mrs. Robinson" (11/8/69, Carbondale, Ill.)
    "The Boxer" (11/15/69, Long Beach, Calif.)
    "Why Don't You Write Me" (11/15/69, Long Beach, Calif.)
    "So Long, Frank Lloyd Wright" (11/8/69, Carbondale, Ill.)
    "That Silver-Haired Daddy of Mine" (11/15/69, Long Beach, Calif.)
    "Bridge Over Troubled Water" (11/28/69, New York)
    "The Sound of Silence" (11/8/69, Carbondale, Ill.)
    "I Am a Rock" (11/8/69, Carbondale, Ill.)
    "Old Friends/Bookends Theme" (11/1/69, Toledo, Ohio)
    "Leaves That Are Green" (11/31/69, Detroit)
    "Kathy's Song" (date unknown, St. Louis)
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

It must be "Rescue Ronstadt" week ,,,did the #1 - 10 mile bike loop and bought second and third ones in 2 days....after so long with just crappy, beat up LP's, suddenly there are bunches in like new condition..$1 for 2.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

PDX weather still holding up ...did #4 bike circuit (16 miles) and I'm 'bout worn out,,these old legs dont like hills ....grabbed these nine...I know...2nds on IABD, but cant have too many of those,,the BST actually has their GH album inside .... all nice condition ...9 for $4.41

The Control 250's sure do like vinyl...

took the truck out for the LAST , I swear, LAST load of firewood. Stopped by the thrift on the way back and........you guessed it...more vinyl , gonna have a fun winter...."old tunes by the woodstove"

One of my two original copies of Electric Ladyland

This one is still sealed

Fourplay, their first and eponymous CD.

Bob James, keyboards
    Lee Ritenour, guitars
    Nathan East, bass
    Harvey Mason, drums

Track #5, "Man-O-Man" is a candidate for source material i the L300—L7 shootout.

I try to play a variety of stuff in an attempt to expose my kids (three girls) to some really good music they, otherwise, may never hear.

For instance, last night, I held my 4-month old in my arms for a 45-minute session with Steely Dan. Moderately-low levels of course. She was really into it; just stared at the speakers with contentment all over. Might try a little Dave Brubeck tonight.

I think Aja is my favorite all-time album, but have always wished it was higher-def. I have the old 24-karat coated CD, which does actually sound a little better than a standard CD IMHO, but there's probably a better version out there somewhere.

Not to linger, but I kind of like John Mayer's Continuum. For some reason, some of the high frequencies sound a little distorted, but the general mix is sort of a sweet spot for me. They seemed to have nailed the HF on "Gravity", though.
    Sony N55ES (2), E1000ESD, C85ES - JBL 120Ti | Onkyo TX-SR605 - JBL L830 (4), LC1 (1) | Dell - Pioneer SX-750 - JBL 4406

Just in case anyone is interested, here's the 24k gold CD mentioned in the previous post.

Anyone else have one of these gold CDs? I can hear a difference between a standard CD and this one, though I suppose it wasn't the greatest things since slided bread as they didn't make them very long.
    Last edited by Vintage Nut; 10-08-2008 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Learning Curve On Image Attachments
    Sony N55ES (2), E1000ESD, C85ES - JBL 120Ti | Onkyo TX-SR605 - JBL L830 (4), LC1 (1) | Dell - Pioneer SX-750 - JBL 4406

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage Nut View Post
    Anyone else have one of these gold CDs? I can hear a difference between a standard CD and this one, though I suppose it wasn't the greatest things since slided bread as they didn't make them very long.
    This is the only one that I thot was worth the extra money ....it MAY sound better, but after making hi-bitrate MP3's, still had to mod the files to my prefs.

Not to linger, but I kind of like John Mayer's Continuum. For some reason, some of the high frequencies sound a little distorted, but the general mix is sort of a sweet spot for me. They seemed to have nailed the HF on "Gravity", though.
    Yeah, that bothers me, too. The distortion seems to be on purpose and keyed to the kick-drum. More noticeable on a good system than it is in my car, so I play it more there than at home. Seems to be an engineering trick to make it sound like a distorted car system played too loud even if you play it soft. A different generation of listeners? I've mentioned it before on these forums with no answer. Maybe someone on the board side of the biz can answer the why.

I find Mayer's live DVD "Where the Light is" covers much of that material in far better quality, to my ears. It's truly a great combination of sets showing Mayer actually does have talent beyond Top-40 radio. I've seen it on sale for about $10 quite recently and highly recommend it but I can't speak to the quality of the CD since I didn't buy that. Might have to though, unless someone can show me an easy way to convert the DVD audio to a direct digital transfer to a CD. It's also available on a vinyl LP. I'd also recommend Clapton's Crossroads Guitar Festival DVD, particularly the first one, to see and hear Mayer at his best.

United Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Amurica, Inc.

I have several MoFi CD's:

~ Blind Faith
    ~ Cream - Live Cream; Wheels of Fire; Disreali Gears
    ~ ELP - Tarkus
    ~ Iron Butterfly - In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida
    ~ Joe Jackson - Night and Day
    ~ Tull - Stand Up, Thick As A Brick; Songs From The Wood
    ~ B.B. King - Live at the Regal
    ~ Dave Mason - Alone Together
    ~ Joni Mitchell - Wild Things Run Fast
    ~ Moody Blues - On the Threshold of a Dream; Days of Future Passed
    ~ Pink Floyd - DSOTM
    ~ Keith Richards - Talk is Cheap
    ~ Santana - Abraxas
    ~ The Who - Tommy
    ~ Howlin' Wolf - The Real Folk Blues

...and several of the vinyls as well. I would say that most of them are sonically better than the 'standard' versions.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Yeah, that bothers me, too. The distortion seems to be on purpose and keyed to the kick-drum. More noticeable on a good system than it is in my car, so I play it more there than at home. Seems to be an engineering trick to make it sound like a distorted car system played too loud even if you play it soft. A different generation of listeners? I've mentioned it before on these forums with no answer. Maybe someone on the board side of the biz can answer the why.
    I haven't heard it, but from your description it could be this- I've heard it used to fatten up a kick to the point where it squashes & distorts (much like saturating analog tape did):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aphex_Systems

I'm sure there are also modern plug-ins that are similar.

je

I find Mayer's live DVD "Where the Light is" covers much of that material in far better quality, to my ears. It's truly a great combination of sets showing Mayer actually does have talent beyond Top-40 radio. I've seen it on sale for about $10 quite recently and highly recommend it but I can't speak to the quality of the CD since I didn't buy that. Might have to though, unless someone can show me an easy way to convert the DVD audio to a direct digital transfer to a CD.
    I play DVDs on my Pioneer DVL-90 player, and send the PCM output to either my Panasonic DAT (which can then transfer to CD) or Alesis MasterLink (which can then burn a CD internally). I have occasionally had some kind of copyguard issues, but I think that's only been with the Alesis. Works every time from a LaserDisc, though...

I'm sure there are ways to do the same with a PC, I just haven't investigated that. My methods are hardly worth it if the CD is available for $10...unless the mix is different for some reason.

je

Yeah, that bothers me, too. The distortion seems to be on purpose and keyed to the kick-drum.
    Yeah, I kind of thought it may have been done that way intentionally as well. Not sure why they would want to do it, but it just seems too obvious to have been a mistake or oversight.

I find Mayer's live DVD "Where the Light is" covers much of that material in far better quality, to my ears. It's truly a great combination of sets showing Mayer actually does have talent beyond Top-40 radio.
    I still need to pick that one up. I've heard good things about it. Hopefully, Mayer will be around for a long time as I think it will be interesting to see what he does over the years.

Oh, and while we're on the topic of live albums, check out The New York Rock and Soul Revue: Live At The Beacon. Very nice.

Thread Information