Page 718 of 721 FirstFirst ... 218618668708716717718719720 ... LastLast
Results 10,756 to 10,770 of 10808

Thread: What's Playing Now

Mandrill, Mandrilland, 1974, Polydor USA, PD2-9002, 2LP

More than one hour of sleeve repairing and vinyl washing was needed for this one. Worn out gilt is not suitable to be refreshed.
    US-sleeves of the 70ies generally were not made for eternity as vinyl is (if you care much!). Germany is leader of making reliable sleeves as i realize after all these 50 years! Assumed they are stored in transparent plastic sleeves. This one was not mistreated by me. I bought it last week on a flea market in Winterthur Switzerland for only 5 SFR. Vinyl is in mint condition!!
    More than one hour of hypnotic African Funk-Jazz. Listen to D1 "Mini-Suite For Duke": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOFO...IceBO&index=46

Attached Images Attached Images    
    -= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

Otis Taylor

Hey Joe / Red Meat Opus

At nearly 8 minutes the title track "Hey Joe(a)" is one of the most surrealistic songs I've heard recently. The album includes guest musicians Warren Haynes, Langhorne Slim, and Bill Nersh. It sounds almost spooky in places on the M2 speakers. Although he is listed as a blues man his music often uses Jazz and early Americana overtones.

Shadows, Hurrah!, 1963, Columbia France, FPX 240

Sound storage medium for forever?
    Incredible 60 years old French vinyl: Hurrah! What great sound and top condition out of the dark past and early vinyl period. Found on a flea market last week. Vinyl is a sure and durable medium, but their sleeves are not. Be careful with the sleeves! It's a "must" to put them into the transparent plastic sleeves and to store them in a dry room. (By the way: that's another (expensive) problem if you own 30'000 LPs and singles.) Sometimes the sleeves stick together, especially those poor CBS Holland sleeves, if they are compressed too tight.
    Look at the flip side of this one with the mould stains. You can also smell it if the sleeve was not stored well. Anybody knows how to get rid of this nasty mould smell within the sleeves without using deodorant?
    -= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

Barney Kessel, Swinging Easy!, 1971, Intercord Germany, 28 412 5U

Recorded at Polydor Studios London October 1968. Kenny Napper b, JohncMarshall dr. 55 years since then. Still so funky, so groovy: B4 "Watch The Birds Go By". Great one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxcOxvEsE_Y

Inside Looking Out, Grand Funk.

Damn, this here three piece tore it up! Dig this entire thing, Mel was a hell of a bassist, really underated.. Back when music was played, not engineered. Is there even a mainstream band that can even come close to touching that performance? Also, might anyone know where I can get this live performance on CD or Blu-Ray?

There's the Live Album of 1970, a double LP containing this tune. It clocks in at 12:22, hence it's not exactly the same as the YT video, but wot´rth listening to anyway.

And yes, nowadays' mainstream sadly hasn't got too much to do with artistry and musicality anymore. Were GFR mainstream then??

Best regards!

Grand Funk Railroad, Live Album, 1970, Capitol USA, SWBB 633, 2LP

Quote Originally Posted by Kay Pirinha View Post
    There's the Live Album of 1970, a double LP containing this tune. It clocks in at 12:22, hence it's not exactly the same as the YT video, but wot´rth listening to anyway.

And yes, nowadays' mainstream sadly hasn't got too much to do with artistry and musicality anymore. Were GFR mainstream then??

Best regards!
    They were loud! And yes, at least since about 1972 they were classified as "mainstream" and mediocrity, as I can faintly remember. That was not the time to purchase their LPs. At least here in Switzerland. But later on in the 80ies/90ies there was another viewpoint - after all that synthesizer-crap and nice haircuts...
    But after all these years: was it a Hype?

Hmm, tasty! Thanks fellas, I'll look into getting a digital copy.

Tasty?

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    Hmm, tasty! Thanks fellas, I'll look into getting a digital copy.
    Bitte, gern geschehen!

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz The Cat View Post
    They were loud! And yes, at least since about 1972 they were classified as "mainstream" and mediocrity, as I can faintly remember. That was not the time to purchase their LPs. At least here in Switzerland. But later on in the 80ies/90ies there was another viewpoint - after all that synthesizer-crap and nice haircuts...
    But after all these years: was it a Hype?
    Definitely not hype, those dudes were layin' it down! I am not familiar with their material post 1974.. But Foot Stompin' Music, I'm Your Captain, Some Kind of Wonderful and We're an American Band were in still in regular rotation when I was a kid in the '90's. Could be because they were a "local" band to us Michiganders, however, Wikipedia has this to say about Grand Funk, "..Grand Funk released six platinum and seven gold-certified albums between their recording debut in 1969 and their first disbandment in 1976." I'm only just now hearing Inside Looking Out, sadly. Further sadness is the state of local radio around here. It's all just filled with what I call, "80's Cock Rock." That cringy hair band crap that I never really cared for and have even less tolerance for it today. I can never keep any of those bands straight, Cinderella, Poison, Ratt, Bon Jovi, Deaf Leopard, Motley Crue, ect ect. Meh, much of it sounds the same to me and drives me away with all that shrill guitar squeal. But even those acts had songs I can tolerate. Just not Bon Jovi. If I hear Livin' On a Prayer one more time...

Grand Funk Railroad, All The Girls In The World Beware!!!, 1974, Capitol US, SO11356

Superbly incorrect and humorous. Evil and good.
    Listen to B3 "Good & Evil": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJY4DNqqRhU

Grand Funk Railroad, Born To Die, 1976, Capitol US, ST 11482

To die with great style. A Dance Macabre?
    Underrated. Listen to B2 "Genevieve": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMYZHbKk860

Grand Funk Railroad, What's Funk?, 1983, Full Moon Germany, 99 251

They grew stronger and stronger IMHO, especially the vocals of Mark Farner matured expressively in variation.
    Listen to B2 James Brown's "It's a mans world"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m4sXtvDeiE

Grand Funk Railroad, Good Singin' Good Playin', 1976, MCA US, 2216

Produced and engineered by Frank Zappa!
    Zappa said, "All I did was, in a documentary way, make a record which tells you exactly what they really sound like. For the first time on record you can hear Grand Funk Railroad ... and they're fantastic, fan-tastic with an F three times taller than you!" (cit. Wikipedia)
    Rogue...
    Listen to FZ's guitar playing on B2 "Out to get you": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cPJxtWDGZI

Grand Funk Railroad, Phoenix, 1972, Capitol EU, RE, 1C 038 81 269

And then they were four. Inside fold cover missed in action: the great Hammond wizard Craig Frost.
    Listen to A1 "Flight to the Phoenix", here's a fantastic live version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQoV9kch_0k

Thread Information