Page 464 of 721 FirstFirst ... 364414454462463464465466474514564 ... LastLast
Results 6,946 to 6,960 of 10810

Thread: What's Playing Now

Emmylou Harris - Gliding Bird
    (1969, Jubilee) 1979 reissue on Emus

nice. debut record before her time with Gram Parsons.
    Fosgate Signature Tube Phono Pre/Rega P9/Benz Wood/McIntosh MC 2205/JBL 4430

Jimi Hendrix, The Singles Album, 1983, Polydor UK, 2LP, PODV 6

A & B sides. 2 Lp English pressing. Fold Cover with singles sleeves shown. Listen to track D4: "Gloria" (Van Morrison) from a 1978 one-sided single, originally available in the Hendrx Box Set(2612-034). It came in a special bag and played at 33 1/3. Does anybody own this Box?
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    -= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz The Cat View Post
    I like the music of Aretha Franklin. But the the cover sleeves often don't convince me. Art director was in holiday? This one falls into the category of "dumb Covers". Most covers are compatible with the music. Like a fancy paper. Does anybody know why some covers are that nasty? Which is the one you digust the most? There are record companies who cultivate cover art effectively and timelessly: Blue Note, CTI, ECM, Vertigo, Harvest, Virgin, Island etc. Which label is your favorite with accurate/classic/timeless covers? The music on this one? Rather uncompassionate. Would i appreciate the songs more, if there was a fancy cover picture?
    I agree, a lot of Aretha's cover art was hideous. Bonnie Raitt is another with weak cover art.

Bonnie Raitt, The Glow, 1979, WB US, HS 3369

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakerLabFan View Post
    I agree, a lot of Aretha's cover art was hideous. Bonnie Raitt is another with weak cover art.
    Hey, this is a nice cover. Prod: Peter Asher. Cover art by "Kosh". No further words necessary.
    -= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

Jimi Hendrix & Little Richard, 1974, Everest US, FS 296

Recorded 1964-65.This one is for historical purposes. Or hysterical purposes (voice of Little Richard)? This one is very interesting. Exercises for JH. A little bit of Hendrix' guitar is audible on instrumental track A3 "Tutti Frutti"
    ( the Wah Wah effect solo is interesting) . Wah wah in 1965? In which year was a Wah Wah pedal used for the first time? Is it a Dunlop "CRY BABY"?? Does anybody know? A5 shows his "fillings" and a good solo. Instrumental B2 shows his wah wah technique in the fillings. And a superb sax. Who played the saxophone on this one? B3: superb fillings and solos. Was this a Stratocaster guitar? Notice: This Everest record is "compatible for stereo and 4 channel quadraphonic equipment".........

Dusty Springfield, Cameo, 1973 ABC US, DSX 50128

She was a member of the so called LA studio "wrecking crew". No, not Dusty Springfield. But: Carole Kaye on bass! What a superb studio bass player. I love her bass technique. Simple and impressive. A Fender Jazz Precision? Unique. She still lives. Look at youtube! Larry Carlton guitar. US pressing. Good one. FC. I like "Dusty in Memphis" more. But this is also a gem. Superb studio crew. Handcrafted. No wrecking at all........Which one do you prefer: this one or "In Memphis"??

Warren Zevon - s/t
    (1976, Asylum) WLP Promo; Artisan symbol in the deadwax

w/ Jackson Browne, Bonnie Raitt, Stevie Nicks, David Lindley, Glenn Frey, Carl Wilson, Lindsey Buckingham

Hey, this is a nice cover. Prod: Peter Asher. Cover art by "Kosh". No further words necessary.
    and back a bit further - see the Homeplate and Green Light titles.

Frank Zappa - Zoot Allures
    (1976, Warner Bros)

listening upstairs while going through unsorted records.

Frank Zappa, Zoot Allures, 1976, WB D, WB 56 298

I must confess: It's very difficult for german speaking people to understand the humour of Frank Zappa. And also the music is only made for fans. I'm not a fan of FZ. FZ frustrates me.There are so many slang words and meanings. I stopped willing to understand this music many many years ago. Did i miss something important? For me it is kind of a musical terror like free jazz. Since so many years he tortures my ears. Zappa was a music terrorist, because he didn't care of the german speaking listeners. And If i would work in such a chaotic way as he did, i wouldn't have many customers anymore today. I cannot understand the music of FZ. And this LP is totally annoying. There is so much fascinating music on this earth....(except free jazz and FZ). Can anybody tell me why i should listen to this music here? P.S.: I own many FZ LP's. I alwas try them again and again....

Farmers Boys, With These Hands, 1985, EMI UK, EJ 24 0290 1

Simple catchy songs. But not slick or superficial. Ringing guitars. Listen to track A1: a beautiful remake of Cliff Richards's "In the country". Party music. Is this a ray of hope of the eighties? B1: a happy hit for my heart & soul. P.S.:
    i listened to this one after Frank Zappas "Zoot Allures".....

Fleshtones, Speed Connection, 1985, I.R.S. NE, ILP 26412

Live in Paris '85. Notice the "Small warning: use only under strict adult supervison. Light fuse. Lay on ground. Get away." Remember the "Troggs". Or the "Pretty Things". Or Ian Dury.

Chas Sandford, Parallax View, 1982, Elektra D, ELK K 52 393

Ugly duckling this one. But you have to listen concentrated and not superficially. The cover picture is bland. But hey, this one's a big surprise: this man has a superb voice! He wrote songs for John Waite, Stevie Nicks, Chicago. The man can definitely write hit songs. He produced Rod Stewart, Roger Daltrey, Willie Nelson, Ron Wood, Bonnie Raitt, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Jimmy Barnes, Billy Ray Cyrus, etc. He was everywhere in music business. At the right time. He calls himself the "Forest Gump of music business". Love at second sight. The ugly duckling is going to be a beautiful swan.

Hot Tuna - America's Choice
    (1975, Grunt) KENDUN A/B in the deadwax, For Diane & Devin in the deadwax, side 1

Smoking Hot.

I must confess: It's very difficult for german speaking people to understand the humour of Frank Zappa. And also the music is only made for fans. I'm not a fan of FZ. FZ frustrates me.There are so many slang words and meanings. I stopped willing to understand this music many many years ago. Did i miss something important? For me it is kind of a musical terror like free jazz. Since so many years he tortures my ears. Zappa was a music terrorist, because he didn't care of the german speaking listeners. And If i would work in such a chaotic way as he did, i wouldn't have many customers anymore today. I cannot understand the music of FZ. And this LP is totally annoying. There is so much fascinating music on this earth....(except free jazz and FZ). Can anybody tell me why i should listen to this music here? P.S.: I own many FZ LP's. I alwas try them again and again....
    I'm not a Zappa fan either. The music is always interesting and technical playing with great sound quality. but even overlooking the insipid, juvenile lyrics - the music just doesn't click for me. On the other hand, I really like the music of his pal Captain Beefheart.

Thread Information