Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY "4345" Project

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Triumph Don View Post
    I received some better than stock bi-amp switches this past week. The bi-amp switches from Japan didn't cut it

Why?

My final configuration ended up being 2245H, 2123H, 2445J (aquaplased)/H93/L94, 2405H, and charge coupled final revision 3155 equivalent networks.

How does that sound compared IYO to the 3145, or the fabled 3144?
    The contacts were too small.

The 3155 is a 4 dB hotter network than the 3145. I like that extra efficiency. Plus it works better with the 2441 or 2445 than the 3145 does. I'm still tweaking the 3155 for the 2123H. It's alot easier than tweaking the 3145 for the 2441 or 2445.

The 3144 Mk II sounds real nice but I think I prefer the older more dynamic networks.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Woofer View Post
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...5-quot-Project

Post #3

I just gotta ask ol' chum, in your original pics of the finished 4345, the L94 lens, looks quite small.
    Is that just an optical illusion because everything else is bigger?
    The L94 is the same as the 2310 isn't it, as I have a pair of those, and they aren't small at all!

Cheers all.....
    The L94 is the mini-serpentine only used in the JBL Model L220/L222. I used it instead of the usual L91/2308 lens because, as Greg agrees, "It looks so much cooler." It functions the same as the other lenses but it also cost more to manufacture back then. The 2310 is the full sized serpentine lens.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    The L94 is the mini-serpentine only used in the JBL Model L220/L222. I used it instead of the usual L91/2308 lens because, as Greg agrees, "It looks so much cooler." It functions the same as the other lenses but it also cost more to manufacture back then. The 2310 is the full sized serpentine lens.
    Thank you, thank you, thank you....
    I can sleep now.
    I might be deaf, but I can still hear da bells! (Quasimodo)
    .... Oh, and the Kick Drum.

The 3144 Mk II sounds real nice but I think I prefer the older more dynamic networks.
    Yea boy, I think I know how you feel!

Here is the parts list you need to order:

Also needed are some terminal strips or blocks. Two 8-ohm 50W L-Pads and two 16-ohm 50W L-Pads. Ten 2.0 to 5.0 K ohm resistors and two 9 V batteries and holders.
    4313B,

I just received confirmation that the parts from Solen arrived today!!!!!!!!!!! I was also able to source L-Pads from Parts Express and 3.0K ohm Resistors from DigiKey.

I haven't posted either of the final network schematics. I was going to post them yesterday and started to but realized that I would have to clean them up .....I'm considering posting the network build as I do it.
    I just wanted to follow up and see if you had the opportunity to finalize the crossovers. I'm so excited that I can't even hold a thought in my head. I've been constructing these beasts for almost a year now. Hopefully it was worth the effort since everyone keeps telling me that I am in for a pleasant surprise. This is going to be my first JBL speaker!

Once again - I cannot thank you (4313B) enough for all your efforts and many things to everyone else on this forum.

Cheers,
    D

Express and 3.0K ohm Resistors from DigiKey.
    If those are the CC resistors you want Megaohms not K's. 10X6 not 10x3

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    If those are the CC resistors you want Megaohms not K's. 10X6 not 10x3

Rob
    I believe I did get the Mega ohms and not K ohms.

I got these: LINK

Will these work?

Thanks,
    D

Those are them. All peaches and cream!

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Those are them. All peaches and cream!

Rob
    Thanks Rob (I wish I knew more about this stuff - but I'm learning slowly but surely).

Quote Originally Posted by dkalsi View Post
    (I wish I knew more about this stuff - but I'm learning slowly but surely).
    Me Too !! We Love pictures and more Pictures
    "James B. Lansing" = Lansing Manufacturing ~ Altec Lansing ~ JBL

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by dkalsi
    Hi 4313B,

I received all the parts you listed in your DIY 4345 Thread and I am ready to build the networks - just need the schematic now.
    Here's what I am building. I haven't tweaked the low pass for the 2123H instead of the 2202H yet though.

16 ohm L-Pad in front of the 376/2441/2445J (instead of the R13, R14, R15 sim)
    8 ohm L-Pad in front of the 077/2405 (instead of the R10, R11, R12 sim)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Obsolete
    I've sold these 4345-type clones and have no plans to finish this thread due to lack of time and interest. The thread just didn't work out how I envisioned. These loudspeakers were a real success and I'll absolutely miss them, especially in light of recent events at JBL. I very nearly kept them but their shear size was the deciding factor. The smaller 4344 is really nice but it just doesn't do what the eighteen does so that was never a compromise I was personally willing to deal with.

I've sold these 4345-type clones and have no plans to finish this thread due to lack of time and interest. The thread just didn't work out how I envisioned. These loudspeakers were a real success and I'll absolutely miss them, especially in light of recent events at JBL. I very nearly kept them but their shear size was the deciding factor. The smaller 4344 is really nice but it just doesn't do what the eighteen does so that was never a compromise I was personally willing to deal with.
    Oh noooooo!
    I personally checked up on this thread ever minute I had and the two days I missed it (due to work) - it ended.

Giskard - I personally can't thank you enough for your efforts (and patients with my PMs). If I can ever be of any assistance - please do let me know. This section of the forums (DIY section) was my favorite section. I loved watching and learning from fellow forum members. I hope, if at all possible, that you continue to provide your opinion/guidance even if you don't pursue anything at the person level. It's just that not that many people know JBL like some of you guys do (i.e., Giskard, Mr. Widget, Woody, JohnW, Scott, Robh, Seawolf, and others).

Yeh, and thanks from me too Big G.

Cheers M8.
    I might be deaf, but I can still hear da bells! (Quasimodo)
    .... Oh, and the Kick Drum.

Obsolete

Final Photos

4344Mk II network on the left, 4355 (equivalent) network on the right. Both are bi-amp only. These aren't fancy at all, just built as quickly as possible to get the job done.

There are only four outputs on the boards since the rest of the 4344MK II network components come after the L-Pads. The second photo shows the L-Pad board with the 3.5 mH 7.5 ohm and 1.0 mH 7.5 ohm inductors.

Name:  networks.jpg
Views: 8717
Size:  97.2 KBName:  l-pads unmounted.jpg
Views: 9381
Size:  58.3 KBName:  l-pads mounted.jpg
Views: 3907
Size:  61.0 KB

Thread Information