Thread: Transducers for hybrid electric cars

Transducers for hybrid electric cars

I saw something recently about GM's new electric car - the Volt. Apparently, the car is so quiet on the road that they need to develop a sound warning system so, as a safety concern, pedestrians and pets can hear the cars comming.

Is this something Harman is developing?

Quote Originally Posted by robertbartsch View Post
    I saw something recently about GM's new electric car - the Volt. Apparently, the car is so quiet on the road that they need to develop a sound warning system so, as a safety concern, pedestrians and pets can hear the cars comming.

Back in the days we use to stick hockey cards in the wheel spikes, held with a clothepin
    Then again, 15' of rope and a couple of empty cans of beef-a-roni should do the trick.

It's a problem with any electric or hybrid that's getting some coverage in the press. Rather than Harman, they should be looking to license the technology from Harley. For decades we've been hearing about how loud pipes save lives. Might as well put that popping and farting to good use.

Disclosure: as a motorcyclist for almost forty years, my pet peeve is law enforcement not enforcing laws governing loud motorcycle exhausts. As a BMW rider I suffer the disdain the public has for all motorcycles because of the "loud pipe" lobby. In Virginia you will be ticketed for operating a radar detector but I never see anyone stopped for operating a Harley with straight pipes, a Corvette without a front license plate, or a pickup jacked-up beyond height limits.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Obsolete
    Ninja autos culling the overpopulated herd for the win...

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    It's a problem with any electric or hybrid that's getting some coverage in the press. Rather than Harman, they should be looking to license the technology from Harley. For decades we've been hearing about how loud pipes save lives. Might as well put that popping and farting to good use.

Disclosure: as a motorcyclist for almost forty years, my pet peeve is law enforcement not enforcing laws governing loud motorcycle exhausts. As a BMW rider I suffer the disdain the public has for all motorcycles because of the "loud pipe" lobby. In Virginia you will be ticketed for operating a radar detector but I never see anyone stopped for operating a Harley with straight pipes, a Corvette without a front license plate, or a pickup jacked-up beyond height limits.
    Without a combustion engine, you'll need to eat a LOT of chili.

Quote Originally Posted by badman View Post
    Without a combustion engine, you'll need to eat a LOT of chili.
    Well, at least you won't have to pay for the rights since Harley dropped the patent application for their sound in 2000.

Funny take on it here in an audio link to an NPR story: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=1075832
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    that's awesome! you are too in touch with today's youth 4313B

Hmm

Death Race 2000?? Oh look a bunch of doctors and nurses!

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Maybe a proximity detector that would trigger an alarm

They could use the robot voice from Lost in Space. Danger, danger Volt approaching or not!

I would have to recommend an updated version of a 2405 screaming 800Hz test tones at high SPLs from the front and rear of each Volt vehicle.

These things were installed at traffic corners to assist the blind in White Plains NY which is about 2 miles from my house. The systems worked so well that you could hear the warning tones clearly from a 1/2 mile distance. In fact they worked so well, that the town was flooded with complants from folks who were not able to sleep at night.

Therefore, the system was modified with some cheapie non-JBL units and the the restless nights were no more.

Or maybe drop the hybrid altogether. There are plenty of normal IC cars on the road that return better fuel figures. Maybe in 10 years when battery technology has moved up from what we have today.

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    Quote Originally Posted by Allanvh5150 View Post
    Or maybe drop the hybrid altogether. There are plenty of normal IC cars on the road that return better fuel figures. Maybe in 10 years when battery technology has moved up from what we have today.

yep, not to even mention the coal that gets burned to create the electricity that is put into the grid, that is used to power the cars' batteries...

i knwo some hippies up here that have converted old benz diesel's into
    bio fuel vehicles; they get the used oil they need for fuel from a few local restaurants.

Thread Information