Thread: JBL 4673 (4647 with 2380 horns)

JBL 4673 (4647 with 2380 horns)

After like 3 years, I finally had the time, energy, ambition, and money to get my JBL 4673 clones that I acquired working mostly properly. They sound friggin AWESOME, and you'll be amazed at what I have powering them; It is just a Sony bookshelf stereo system that has a mere 100 watts/channel. I can't WAIT to see what these babies will sound like with a real amp...actually, I can wait, I can wait till I have the money. Anyway, I'm wanting some new advice now...I was wondering what anyone recommends for a decent amp for these in an HT setup. Eventually, I want to run a Harman/Kardon AVR-254 preamp outputs into some Crown amps, kinda thinking the CE-1000 or 2000 (or both, in a bi amp setup 1000 for the 2380/2445 horns and 2000 for the 2226 drivers) But as for now, would the H/K be a decent power source for now...decent as in kinda significantly better than the Sony I am using now? Or does anyone have any other ideas that would be inexpensive for now, that would make it sound better, and would fit into my eventual upgrade plans

I found a pretty good deal on ebay for some crown XLS series amps that I think would be a good match to my setup as well as my eventual plans to upgrade to a bi or tri amp setup. I'm thinking the XLS 202 will power the 2380/2445 horns; the 402 power the 2226 drivers, and the 602 for the TCB I plan to build a clone of.

Those plans are down the road, but I'd like to buy stuff now that will fit in with the plans, so I don't lose money on the equipment per se, and so I don't have to spend as much for the upgrades later, since I'd already have half the equipment needed. Anyway, will these amps (or any other similar amps) be good in a HT setup without a preamp output...What I mean is, I don't have the money to go all out right now, but I want a better amp than the Sony bookshelf that I have right now...and I'm questioning if it'd be wise to go with one of the amps mentioned (or similar) or if I should go with an HT receiver such as a Harman Kardon or similar...until I have the money for the much nicer amps and can use the preamp from the H/K

Thread Information