more pics
    Attached Images Attached Images    

last pics

last pics

Cool thanks!
    I enjoy this kind of stuff

Thank you very much for the pics, they are great,

I built a some Electro Voice folded horns back in the day. They didn't go too low but they would knock you over @ 50HZ on the dance floor.
    4406, 4412A, L100, L100t3 (3 pair), L1, L7, 4645C, 4660A, 4695B, SR4735 and various DIY JBL Pro loaded systems.

hi reudiger,
    I like your practical-building-knowledge for "horns", and smell the dust-wood with a (high-end) cloodlet glue-perfume ....
    good job to for the lowbas (look-a-like : la scala) and the consolidation for the side walls .....
    nice work,
    did you built recently "other" concept horns!
    allé, salukes and vriendelijke muzikale groeten,
    karel

not so much done since then

Hi Karel,

I designed several horns when I was a student, and I once owned a self-designed pair of k-horns. I did two rearloading designs with the speaker in the middle of the cabinet and the horn split into two paths. One was published in Elrad magazine. I still have a copy and could scan that.

Currently I don't have the space for "real" horns, I have some 4430 clones. I am collecting horns and drivers for the "ultimate" 7.1 system. But that will take some time.

Regards Ruediger

Quote Originally Posted by Ruediger View Post
    ....published in Elrad magazine ....
    abend ruediger,
    You walk a "long-horn-way" ... chappeau bas,
    Fmy, can i have a scan from yours self designed K-horns (just for my audio-horn-info),
    Btw, since '68 ... i listen and built (my) K-horn (Pat IV) and others horns (for fam & friends),
    What you mean by "ultimate 7.1", it's take you (every second), but: it's coming,
    Allez, salukes and welcome,
    karel

Could you scan that copy?

Hi Karel,

I designed several horns when I was a student, and I once owned a self-designed pair of k-horns. I did two rearloading designs with the speaker in the middle of the cabinet and the horn split into two paths. One was published in Elrad magazine. I still have a copy and could scan that.

Currently I don't have the space for "real" horns, I have some 4430 clones. I am collecting horns and drivers for the "ultimate" 7.1 system. But that will take some time.

Regards Ruediger
    I have built a pair of JBL C40 rear loading horns and a pair of "K" horns.
    Many years ago I was a theater that Klipsch speakers, the bass K horn looked very similar to the one made.

Picture of my K-horn

I do not have the drawings of the k-horns any more. I have a picture, that is all.

The design was simple, a 40 Hz (I think) exponential flare and reflectors in the horn bends (where Klipsch doesn't have them).

Klipsch uses a mix of flares (100 Hz in the 1st part) and calls that a "rubber throat". Olson in his book "Acoustical Engineering" on page 114 calculates "a horn consisting of manifold exponential sections" and plots it's throat radiation impedance.

D.B.Keele has written a paper about how to predict a loudspeaker's behaviour in a horn from it's Thiele Small parameters. The Klipsch drivers are crap and require a horn where the throat radiation resistance rises with frequency. If You use a non-crappy driver then You don't need that "rubber throat".

I used RCF L15P100A which were K130 clones. The midrange horn was a copy of EV SM120A (the Sentry III horn), the driver was a RCF TW 101. The tweeter was an HH bullet tweeter.

My amp was a small SONY receiver with 2 x 18 watts (You can see it on the picture). Because of the high efficiency of the horn system I could not listen to music in the evening without either disturbing my neigbours or turning the volume so low that only one wiper of the stereo poti was on the carbon track. But the receiver had a switchable connection between preamp and power amp. So I soldered myself a voltage divider to lower the preamp's output voltage.

Ruediger

Nice!!!!!

I do not have the drawings of the k-horns any more. I have a picture, that is all.

The design was simple, a 40 Hz (I think) exponential flare and reflectors in the horn bends (where Klipsch doesn't have them).

Klipsch uses a mix of flares (100 Hz in the 1st part) and calls that a "rubber throat". Olson in his book "Acoustical Engineering" on page 114 calculates "a horn consisting of manifold exponential sections" and plots it's throat radiation impedance.

D.B.Keele has written a paper about how to predict a loudspeaker's behaviour in a horn from it's Thiele Small parameters. The Klipsch drivers are crap and require a horn where the throat radiation resistance rises with frequency. If You use a non-crappy driver then You don't need that "rubber throat".

I used RCF L15P100A which were K130 clones. The midrange horn was a copy of EV SM120A (the Sentry III horn), the driver was a RCF TW 101. The tweeter was an HH bullet tweeter.

My amp was a small SONY receiver with 2 x 18 watts (You can see it on the picture). Because of the high efficiency of the horn system I could not listen to music in the evening without either disturbing my neigbours or turning the volume so low that only one wiper of the stereo poti was on the carbon track. But the receiver had a switchable connection between preamp and power amp. So I soldered myself a voltage divider to lower the preamp's output voltage.

Ruediger
    My friend and used a set of plans we bought from Speakerlab back in the early 1980s.

And now for something completely different ...

The submarine series of bass horns!

After some time the Jara discotheque needed to be renovated. For live concerts a stage was needed, and that was also used as the dance floor.

The midrange horns should go into the two corners of the dance floor, and the bass horns should go below. Just the horn mouth should be visible. So into both corners two bass horns were built, at both sides of the midrange horns.

The sketch shows how "access to the driver chamber" was solved. On the 2nd pic the driver chambers are open, on the 3rd pic they are closed. As You can see the 2390 have been replaced by 2395.

Ruediger

Rearloading Horns

Here are two very similar rearloading horns. They work like the scoop 4530 but have a horn split into two halfs. The horn is narrower at the bends which results in a much more precise bass. A scoop may be good for reggae but it does not really give punch. These horns do.

The pictures are awful. Without the help of Gimp they would even look worse.

The 1st two pics show horn number one. It measures 135 cm x 80 cm x 60 cm. The second pic shows horn number two. It measures 102 cm x 80 cm x 60 cm.

The drawings belong to horn number two.

Ruediger

Drawings for rearloading horns

Here come the drawings.

A scoop may be good for reggae but it does not really give punch. These horns do.
    Strange, I was always under the impression that the exact opposite was true.
    Rear loaded horns scoops like the 4530 and 4520 were punchy when front loaded horns bass bins were more sloppy and boomy.

These horns ***are*** rear loaded

Hi Eaulife,

these horns are rearloaded, not frontloaded. They are very similar to the scoops, just the horn is split to get the bends narrower. Also the chamber between driver and horn is precisely defined.

Regards Ruediger

Thread Information