Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mac SS vintage amps?

Mac SS vintage amps?

Are Mcintosh solid state amps good performers? I know alot of "hifiers" wanting or needing tube amps will go with Macs, but do their solid state amps also have that coveted status?

Absolutely. They are over built! Most sell for more now than they did originaly!

Mine is absolutely the best sounding amp I've ever owned. That being said, I made kind of a big jump from mid-fi (at best) integrateds and receivers to the McIntosh without much in between, so depending on what you're used to, YMMV.

I'm auditioning a Mac MC2200, 200wpc vintage solid state. So far so good, but it has an input sensitivity switch on the back, one position 2.50 the other .75. I will have to assume this has to do with the preamps main output. I have it at the 2.50 setting as I believe I read in the Crown (SL2 preamp) online vintage spec sheets that this is what the SL2 expects to see. Any thoughts from those who know? I'd flip it between the two but its hard to get at the way I got the stuff stacked.

Quote Originally Posted by midlife View Post
    I'm auditioning a Mac MC2200, 200wpc vintage solid state. So far so good, but it has an input sensitivity switch on the back, one position 2.50 the other .75. I will have to assume this has to do with the preamps main output. I have it at the 2.50 setting as I believe I read in the Crown (SL2 preamp) online vintage spec sheets that this is what the SL2 expects to see. Any thoughts from those who know? I'd flip it between the two but its hard to get at the way I got the stuff stacked.
    WELL, interesting audition results: I'm hearing very slight short duration "pops", almost to where I think its my imagination or maybe something on a shelf rattling. And a little later it seems like the output is diminishing, but I'm playing at a pretty low level, so again I dismiss it. So when I want to change cd and approach the stereo (my temporary setup has the spkrs close to the rack) I now realize the left channel is very weak. I turn the preamp balance to left only and apply more volume and the speaker cuts in and out while only playing when I pour too much volume. Switched the speaker hook ups and the problem stays on the left channel. The preamp has a stereo reverse so I use it and the problem stays left. Put the tuner on and do the same routine to have the left channel still screwed up. Whats goin' on (or off)

You won't be able to sat one way or the other until you swap out the preamp. I have a Mcintosh amp that I just got. I hooked it up to a preamp I had sitting around a C2 Yamaha. I had a similiar situation. I then put in the Adcom and no problem. You'll just have to try another preamp unless you know that preamp had no problems. Also set your sensitivity to the lowest setting. Shoot some contact cleaner on both pots and rotate it back and forth briskly then give it a go.

Is the preamp known to be good?

If you're trying to isolate whether the problem is the amp and or the preamp, and the issue is limited to a single channel, the quickest test is to simply swap left and right output cables (though the "Reverse" position on the stereo mode essentially does the same thing.) If the problem moves to the opposite channel, the preamp is the issue; otherwise, it's the amp.

You can also dial the gain all the way down on the amp, and hook your CD player's output directly to it. Slowly bring up the gain, and see if the problem with intermittent sound continues.

Whether it's the amp or the preamp that winds up being the problem, 1st attempt at a solution would be a few shots of Deoxit.

Best of luck

Yep the preamp is known to be good, but I will plug the cd player directly to the amp (I think thats what the sensitivity switch is for) for some temporary diagnosis. Will also test twice with the patch cords conventional and then reversed. I've fixed a few motorcycle problems with WD40, I hope this can be handled with deoxit

Not vintage but.....the McIntosh MC402 amp & C46 pre amp sound darn good on my JBL S2600's.....the best sound I have ever heard-not that that is saying alot, however, if you get the chance to hear the newer McIntosh then you will understand.

Quote Originally Posted by tom1040 View Post
    Not vintage but.....the McIntosh MC402 amp & C46 pre amp sound darn good on my JBL S2600's.....the best sound I have ever heard-not that that is saying alot, however, if you get the chance to hear the newer McIntosh then you will understand.
    Although not directly familiar with the equip you listed I have no doubt its very fine stuff. I just have a glitch in the mc2200, probably a pretty decent amp, time will tell.

I wouldn't operate that amp any more with that symptomology. It sounds to (non-expert) me like you might have some capacitors dying fast. If something blows up and takes out some output devices you have real problems because they are no longer made (as I understand) and I've heard McIntosh no longer supports that generation of their solid state amps (you should check this out to be sure).

I have one of those amps and like it, but I'm not sure I would buy one today. With the prices they command and lack of serviceability at the factory, it might be better to look around for something else, or save some more and buy later McIntosh. Sonically (this) second generation solid state McIntosh is a step above the first generation, and I think it worth assuming checking out they're later work would be worthwhile.

The 2.5 setting is the right sensitivity when using a preamp.

This has been doing a good job for me.

If you want to get your amp serviced, this place can take care of you.
    http://www.audioclassics.com/

Or you may want to contact Terry DeWick over at AudioKarma. I've heard he is one of the best.
    http://www.mcintoshaudio.com/dewick_repairs.htm

Btw, the only problem I've run into with my 35 year old Mac is moving it. This thing is built like a battleship. It weighs 128 pounds and I ain't gettin any younger.

Nice setup, BigStereo. The McIntosh amps are built well. Some say overbuilt, but I like the fact that you have an investment that is actually increasing in value.

Quote Originally Posted by bigstereo View Post
    Btw, the only problem I've run into with my 35 year old Mac is moving it. This thing is built like a battleship. It weighs 128 pounds and I ain't gettin any younger.
    I remember reading in Stereo Review or High Fidelity magazine where someone's home had been broken into and while the TV was stolen, the stereo was not because the amps and speakers weighed so much.

Nice looking MC2300... I have coveted them ever since seeing one back in the early '70s. I must admit that in later years when acquiring one was possible I did pass due to the weight though.

Widget

Thread Information