Thread: S8R 0375 midrange distorts

S8R 0375 midrange distorts

I recently posted a question on how to connect the N7000 crossover to the LX5 crossover in a JBL S8R. Now I have another problem. I hooked it up as shown and now I have some distortion in the 0375 midrange. I disconnected the N7000 and 075 and still got the same level of distrotion. The 075 does ot distort. I did this to see if the 075 and N7000 contributed to the distortion which it didn't. Is there a simple way to determine if it is the crossover or the 0375 causing the distortion? I could switch to the other 0375 which doesn't distort to see if it distorts - thus it would mean its the crossover if it distorted. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Rick

If you are very careful you can hook it up directly, without any crossover.

You can put a capacitor in series with the driver instead of the crossover.

But the real question is: What do the distortion sound like? At which power levels does it appear?
    Johnny Haugen Sørgård

Open up that LX5 crossover and use contact cleaner to remove oxidation, dust, etc. from the level switch. This is the most likely problem since you notice distortion from the O75 as well when the N7000 is connected...but also clean the level pot on the N7000.

Bad connections - #1 vintage problem!

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf57 View Post
    Open up that LX5 crossover and use contact cleaner to remove oxidation, dust, etc. from the level switch. This is the most likely problem since you notice distortion from the O75 as well when the N7000 is connected...but also clean the level pot on the N7000.
    Yes, all the above plus tighten the Philips head screws from inside the crossover housing that anchor the push connectors. If these screws are loose, the signal is either decreased due to increased R or lost entirely . . . or intermittant (delightful!). Use Deoxit brand cleaner per Beowulf's instructions above. Expensive but worth it. Also, check the similar push connectors on the 375 rear cap. They also can work themselves loose (the tiny plastic insulators compress after 30 years or so - been there). Check everything, deoxit, tighten everything. And, finally, the 375 diaphragms ultimately do fail. Also been there. When they do, the sound is distorted with major high frequency loss. MM

Thread Information