Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Let's discuss horn preferences

2441 - 435BE

Widget--->

Hi Widget,
    as I know, you had (have) the project May drivers 435BE in your shop.
    Can you tell us differencies comparing with the 2441 (and 2421) ? well knowing the usage of different horns.

HP
    Please help us save more info about the vintage systems. Let us register your speakers and drivers.

Tom Loizeaux
    I have been quite happy with the 2307 horn mounted behind the 2308 slant lens. This was a vary popular choice for JBL, as its used in many large studio monitors. Though there does seem to be a sweet spot, the lens seems to spread the 1" driver pretty well. A JBL 15, 1" compression driver with the 2307/2308 horn/lens, and a 2405 to finish off the top is still a very nice combination. The obvious improvement is adding a 10" mid as JBL has done on the 4343 speakers.
    Others here have done many A/B tests, so I would listen to their opinions, have a listen to the above combination from JBL, and go from there.

Tom

Alex Lancaster

Smile

Tom:

There is no real bass JBL 15" that will go up to 1200Hz, to match the 2307īs cutoff, either You use a 2312 (H92) 800Hz, or, as You say a 10", or even better IMHO an 8".

Alex.

Yeah a 2118 is a nice driver. Make a nice midrange driver.

Rob

Re: 2441 - 435BE

Originally posted by Hofmannhp
    Widget--->

Hi Widget,
    as I know, you had (have) the project May drivers 435BE in your shop.
    Can you tell us differencies comparing with the 2441 (and 2421) ? well knowing the usage of different horns.

HP
    Unfortunately I never fired up the 435Be drivers. While I had them I was so busy with 12 other projects I never had time to set up a decent test to do that comparison with CD EQ and all so I decided I didn't want to do it in a half assed fashion.

As for the 2421s I don't currently have any 1" drivers.

I wish I had done the 435Be H9800 horn comparison with the 2441 Westlake combo. I hope to do it at some point in the future.

I am currently trying to get a pair of TAD 4001s to try out on the Westlakes. According to Oldmics that combo is about as good as it gets.

Widget

JonFairhurst
    I used to have the 2307/2308 combination. I found it fine for live use - I could leave off the lens for a long throw, but I never liked the sound at all in smaller spaces.

The 2344As (and my alder versions) sound much smoother to me. I do miss the UHF range a bit, but with a bit of EQ I'm happy.

I'd love to get my hands on the top end from the 9800s though. Nice main horn and a UHF horn in close proximity. I heard them at CES in 2003 and loved the top-end sheen.

-Jon Fairhurst

2426H on a H2600

I have a 4.0 surround sound system composed of 2 pairs of S3100, and they contain a 2426H compression driver mounted on a H2600 horn.

The H2600 is asymmetric and is intended to provide a large sweet spot, but the opposite is the case in my experience. There is, however, one significant advantage to the asymmetry, namely that they can be placed in corners to boost the bass -- the horn has so little radiation to the one side that there will be no annoying reflections from the adjacent wall.

There is extensive equalization built-in to the cross-over, and the result is fine, as long as I'm sitting exactly in the middle between the 4 speakers.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Jan Daugaard; 06-25-2004 at 11:58 AM.

Hello Jan

Wow so they don't throw a large image?? I wonder how they compare to the Everest horn. Can see they look similar. How is the imaging in the sweetspot?? Can you get up close or does the image fall apart in close?? How far away are you?? You can move around some what right??

Rob

H2600 horizontal polar response

The horizontal polar response for the H2600 horn is the best answer to your questions, Robh3606.

Everest horizontal polar response

... and here is the horizontal polar response for the Everest. The upper cross-over frequency is 7500 Hz, so the polar response above that frequency is that of the 2405H.
    Last edited by Jan Daugaard; 06-26-2004 at 03:31 AM.

Does any one use the Edgar Horns?

I realise this a slightly off topic but they do have a following among horn lovers.

Ian

I don't use or abuse them, but I have heard them on several occasions and have liked them.

I made a pair of my Westlake clones for a silent forum member who was using the 2" salad bowls and his initial response was that the Westlakes were smoother, less forward sounding, and very open sounding. I haven't talked with him since he first got them so I don't know if that was a temporary infatuation (we've all been there with a new speaker) or if he still preferred the Westlakes. He was using both horns with 2441s.

Ikecarumba has had a variety of Edgar and other tractrix horns. He is definitely a tractrix advocate.

Widget

I have heard the salad bowls with 2441's too. They sure sounded nice!

Rob

Hello Jan

Looking at the plots you toe them in at all?? Looks to me like in close or close together you can miss the boat with them. Everest horn's look like they cover a wider area.

Rob
    Last edited by Robh3606; 06-25-2004 at 01:59 PM.

HenryW
    I was very impressed with a salad bowl and a 2426. When I decided to have the box take a variation on the traditional look it dropped from my consideration. However, It made me sketch a possible next project - they would sound great and look kinda neat as a couple of freestanding stacked horns on top of a bass horn bin (just what I need - complicate project 1 with thoughts of project 2)

Thread Information