Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: iTunes Playback system

Hello Heather

Have you tried and on the docks like the Wadia as an example?? I would like to be able to use the flexibility in ITunes but would rather not stream.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Hello Heather

Have you tried and on the docks like the Wadia as an example??
    I would like to be able to use the flexibility in ITunes but would rather not stream.

Rob

No - my iPhone only holds 32GB ... but I have 400GB of files in iTunes loaded on the hard drive on my office computer.
    I actually do like the streaming aspect as I can play it on the Living room (stereo) system with the L200 3ways, or/and
    play it in the TV room on the 4341s via an old Apple TV. The alternative would be to haul the music drive and some kind
    of playback gear around to the room/system I want to play it onto ...

But the nice thing is once the files are loaded (and backed up regularly) I can change the playback system around as it evolves...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

but I have 400GB of files in iTunes loaded on the hard drive on my office computer.
    Geez that's a lot of music. I use my IPod at work and use it as a source in the normal doc.

I actually do like the streaming aspect as I can play it on the Living room (stereo) system with the L200 3ways, or/and play it in the TV room on the 4341s via an old Apple TV.
    That makes sense. My 2 systems are actually in the same room, the basement, so a harddock approach could work just have to decide which one to put it in.

Thanks Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Nice buy on the HK! Nothing I like better than a good price, than it actually sounding good. Heck for $30 bucks though, it's hard to loose. You seem to be set up pretty well, streaming music all over the house!

Responding to a slew of posts...

It sounds like everyone posting to this thread uses iTunes. This is because they all use an Apple computer? TD's issue with iTunes is why I won't use it, had a similar thing happen to me too. Almost 100% of my downloads are in mp3, I won't download in a proprietary format. When I pay for a song I figure that it should be mine to move around and use as I choose.... when I choose.

MP3's are tricky..some of my 128kbs sound better (more pleasant) than the same song in 320kbs, warmer. Generally higher is of course better. I'm not sure that lossless is equal to wav, even though it is supposed to be. I can hear slight differences in bass, with the lossless being a bit boomy. Not to say that's bad..I like boom, when it's called for.

Heather, you are always finding good deals, wish I had your luck!

Quote Originally Posted by pathfindermwd View Post
    MP3's are tricky..some of my 128kbs sound better (more pleasant) than the same song in 320kbs, warmer. Generally higher is of course better. I'm not sure that lossless is equal to wav, even though it is supposed to be. I can hear slight differences in bass, with the lossless being a bit boomy. Not to say that's bad..I like boom, when it's called for.
    I use iTunes to manage my music as it is convenient and yes, I have an Apple computer, several actually... they don't seem to die. I don't own or even have access to any MP3s... why pay money for half a song? I will never purchase any music from Apple unless they start selling 16 bit 44.1KHz Redbook or better versions. As for the lossless vs. WAV or Redbook. I have performed a number of comparisons between the original CD and a lossless file both through the same DAC... by switching inputs you can do a direct AB comparison. After a careful level matching, I couldn't detect any differences between the two.

Widget

pushing iTunes beyond the 320kb bitrate ..

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I use iTunes to manage my music as it is convenient and yes, I have an Apple computer, several actually... they don't seem to die. I don't own or even have access to any MP3s... why pay money for half a song? I will never purchase any music from Apple unless they start selling 16 bit 44.1KHz Redbook or better versions. As for the lossless vs. WAV or Redbook. I have performed a number of comparisons between the original CD and a lossless file both through the same DAC... by switching inputs you can do a direct AB comparison. After a careful level matching, I couldn't detect any differences between the two.

Widget
    Emma buys songs occasionally from Amazon or iTunes -
    but I'd rather buy a used CD and do my own rips -
    plus I get the backup media!

For the longest time I was conscious of the size different and ripped at 320kb,
    figuring I would just play the CD when I was at home, and wouldn't notice the
    lessened fidelity when playing back on the iphone, ipod or in my car.

But with drives so large, I've decided as time allows,
    to re-rip my favs and the newer fidelity stuff in Apple lossless.

I changed my iTunes settings the other day from mp3@320kb to
    "Import using: Apple lossless Encoder"
    "Setting: Automatic"

That seems to give me a much higher setting on the files in iTunes ...

I just took a casual look at what I've ripped so far - the highest bitrate is
    "And your bird can sing" 1000kbps - from the 2009 Remaster of Revolver

For ripping from FLAC files (like HD files of 96/24 fidelity) I've used a mac utility called MAX
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Widget

Aside from the way Apple handles iTunes and the whole DRM, I do like their hardware, it is very nice. I was thinking that the Mini would be a nice unit for the GF's entertainment system, too late for Christmas.

Just before the new DAC came in I recorded John Mellencamp's "Without Expression" to the new PC in wav and lossless from original CD. Using the PC sound card the difference between the two was more noticeable, though I'm not sure why, and I didn't compare it much. With the DAC the difference is less noticeable. In the beginning of the song there is a bass guitar playing and in the lossless version it is muted somewhat, the wav version brings it forward slightly and by doing so I can hear a slight improvement in tonality. The guitar also seems clearer on the wav. The lossless seems a bit warmer at higher volume, and I see this as being a result of of that slight muting effect. I have read that not all lossless versions are equal either, perhaps that is the explanation. The difference is slight though, nothing at all to complain about, and of course I can't really tell the difference in a blind fresh start, yes I've tried! However, I don't think that anyone can definitely tell the difference between a wav vs. a 128bks mp3 on a blind start (by starting an unfamiliar song and being asked to identify it's quality), though we know for certainty there is a difference. If anyone can do repeatedly do this, they have better hearing than me!

In the future, I also would prefer just to have the whole uncompressed version, if for no other reason that you shouldn't have to worry about formats changing. OOOPS! I just downloaded another MP3, that's convenience for you..

Quote Originally Posted by pathfindermwd View Post
    However, I don't think that anyone can definitely tell the difference between a wav vs. a 128bks mp3 on a blind start (by starting an unfamiliar song and being asked to identify it's quality), though we know for certainty there is a difference. If anyone can do repeatedly do this, they have better hearing than me!
    There are so many variables... we speak of quality as though there is some universal truth... there simply isn't anything universal in music playback. The exact same equipment will sound differently in two different rooms, and then there is placement and system setup. I sit in the sweet spot of a perfectly balanced equilateral triangle and listen carefully at the sound stage, not just whether or not I can hear a faint instrument on a track or if the bass and treble are well balanced. Seeing pics of many of the listening rooms and systems that folks have posted, I imagine many have no idea what I am experiencing when I listen to the same recording. These differences also likely play an important role in our many viewpoints on the relative importance of this or that when we talk about the importance of this piece of gear over that etc.

Widget

Higher Res

I know many here are fans of mp3s and other compressed variants, but for me, uncompressed files (typically AIFF and sometimes WAV) are the way to go. With a dedicated home listening system, and the current price of disk drives, there is no reason to sacrifice sound quality -- on my system the difference is not subtle. I'm also a fan of some of the HD download services that offer music in 96kHz/24bit or higher resolutions. And I've had amazing success ripping the stereo tracks off DVD-Audio disks.

Also, it may sound extreme to some, but I recently swapped my spinning hard drive in my Mac Mini for a solid state drive (SDD). And I've put my music on a 480Gb SSD firewire drive. No moving parts and dead quiet. It is hard to believe, but there is quite a difference in the presentation. Of course, it is best to have an outboard DAC to take advantage of the possibilities computers offer.

Not putting down anyone's system or choices here, just weighing in...

PS, I recommend the Beatles' 44.1kHz/24bit remixes - mine came on a 16GB thumb drive shaped like an apple.

There are so many variables... we speak of quality as though there is some universal truth... there simply isn't anything universal in music playback. The exact same equipment will sound differently in two different rooms, and then there is placement and system setup. I sit in the sweet spot of a perfectly balanced equilateral triangle and listen carefully at the sound stage, not just whether or not I can hear a faint instrument on a track or if the bass and treble are well balanced. Seeing pics of many of the listening rooms and systems that folks have posted, I imagine many have no idea what I am experiencing when I listen to the same recording. These differences also likely play an important role in our many viewpoints on the relative importance of this or that when we talk about the importance of this piece of gear over that etc

Widget
    Yes, absolutely, I was going to mention that also, that it is very difficult for us to know what the other is hearing in system equipment, and human equipment. I know what you are saying about sound-stage, I was listening the other day to a vocal piece with my eyes closed and could hear the voice moving around, not sure that is a good thing... I am still very novice at what and how to listen for. Often I feel as if I am listening to the speakers or the sound, judging the system, and it is difficult to change my focus and listen to the music, not the system, not an offending sound. When I am able to relax and listen to the music it is a very eerie feeling, its a completely different way of listening, and it's a bit overwhelming sometimes because Im taking it all in, not just focused on a particular sound. What would you suggest to become a better listener?

Quote Originally Posted by jerry_rig View Post

PS, I recommend the Beatles' 44.1kHz/24bit remixes - mine came on a 16GB thumb drive shaped like an apple.
    That's pretty cool.. you can buy it that way? Obviously..yes! I didn't know that though.

Thread Information