Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: IMAX cinema sound

JBL 4645
    LOL
    Well I’ll taken an angle grinder and cut it down and stick it on the back of lorry and cash it in or sale it on ebay. Shipping cost £1million!

That’s pretty large coin to leave out in the open like that.

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    15 perf 70mm IMAX film is pure film which has grain structure. Still it’s the projection playback rate of 24fps I think digital will have higher frame rate playback resulting in stable image.
    They have an experimental digital system in Japan that tries to mimick real life: involves daylight-like brightness/contrast range, more advanced 3D sound, high frame rate (which increases realism)/super hi Res (cameras already available), surround screen. Disneyland uses 48fps according to your link (OK for short shows)(US digital TV is 60 fps for some sports shows-looks more natural w/ zero motional artifacts)
    Meanwhile DLP still don't have a 4k chip? Would need even higher Res for IMAX quality projector (Wiki)

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Horn Savant View Post
    They have an experimental digital system in Japan that tries to mimick real life: involves daylight-like brightness/contrast range, more advanced 3D sound, high frame rate (which increases realism)/super hi Res (cameras already available), surround screen. Disneyland uses 48fps according to your link (OK for short shows)(US digital TV is 60 fps for some sports shows-looks more natural w/ zero motional artifacts)
    Meanwhile DLP still don't have a 4k chip? Would need even higher Res for IMAX quality projector (Wiki)
    I think the highest frame rate was the Douglas Trumbull ShowScan which filmed and projected back the same film rate 60fps in special cinemas.

The system retired late 1990’s I think. It also had special sound delivery system as well. http://www.showscan.com/

Strange I was looking at the my cat last night under very low light level in the kitchen and the detail in fur with some percale light coming in from the streetlights outside and yet the way it looks is so pure.

I think the worse digital night time shots I’ve seen is Collateral (2004) where Michael Mann used I forgot the name of the camera it’s a Panavision (Genesis). Well it looked ghastly horrible all graining yuck.
    http://www.panavision.co.uk/
    http://www.panavision.com/

Same goes for that Miami Vice (2006) that he directed yuck. I seem to prefer the old way of seeing it 35mm film the digital needed a lot of perfection to make me say (yes that is how I see the night-time, sky with the stars).

I have both films/DVD the only thing that’s good about them is the sound!

Those PPS speaker pictures are a Film-Tech member's pictures.

He worked at the IMAX theater, and they are in California for sure.

PPS System for sure uses JBL components? Are they custom horns? What LF/HF drivers are they using?

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by rlsound View Post
    Those PPS speaker pictures are a Film-Tech member's pictures.

He worked at the IMAX theater, and they are in California for sure.

PPS System for sure uses JBL components? Are they custom horns? What LF/HF drivers are they using?
    Oh, so they are! Sacramento, California. Isn’t that home town of Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger?

But there are the same ones at the India IMAX cinema. Maybe I filled the images wrong must be on floppy disc?

Okay so it opened in 1999 so how many 18” JBL subs mid and high range compression drivers where around at the time?

JBL 4645

JBL 4645
    These JBL mid high frequency components look like, the ones used for the IMAX speaker assembly. JBL PD742/746 I said “look like”.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

That mid-horn I'm suspecting is the 2392, but I think Its a cone midrange, due to FT member stating that the driver faces into the box ( mounted backwards ) and I've heard a blown LF in the 2way system. Sounds like a blown cone driver rather than a compression driver.

JBL 4645
    That mid-horn I'm suspecting is the 2392, but I think Its a cone midrange, due to FT member stating that the driver faces into the box ( mounted backwards ) and I've heard a blown LF in the 2way system. Sounds like a blown cone driver rather than a compression driver.
    This one here JBL 2392
    http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/23929394.pdf
    Was the horn produced around 1994?

Apparently it's discontinued, but it's the same Mid horn that they use in the Cinema 5000 series, excluding the 5671.

We could put an end to the guessing and talk to Paul Peace Jr, of Auditoria and see what he has to say about these speakers. I believe he is the one who designed them.

some of the new and revamped imaxes are running danley

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by smmbear View Post
    some of the new and revamped imaxes are running danley
    I see and the shape which is a domeIMAX same layout as all the other IMAX cinemas. There isn’t a whole lot to read about this on the site.
    http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/danleyport.asp?ID=58

That's the Navy Pier Dome theater in Chicago. It's Danley's SH96 for the stage channels with 4 SH50 subwoofers.

All powered by Lab Gruppen Amps.

JBL 4645
    That's the Navy Pier Dome theater in Chicago. It's Danley's SH96 for the stage channels with 4 SH50 subwoofers.

All powered by Lab Gruppen Amps.
    This! http://news.harmony-central.com/Product-news/Danley-Sound-Labs-SH-96-Loudspeaker.html

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post

I think the worse digital night time shots I’ve seen is Collateral (2004) where Michael Mann used I forgot the name of the camera it’s a Panavision (Genesis). Well it looked ghastly horrible all graining yuck.
    http://www.panavision.co.uk/
    http://www.panavision.com/

Same goes for that Miami Vice (2006) that he directed yuck. I seem to prefer the old way of seeing it 35mm film the digital needed a lot of perfection to make me say (yes that is how I see the night-time, sky with the stars).

I have both films/DVD the only thing that’s good about them is the sound!
    I don't remember too much collateral but the night shots of Miami Vice looks absolutely gorgeous to me, very realistic and close to real life.

Remember that the eye is more sensitive than film, and only CCDs used in HD cameras can match this.

Thread Information