Thread: Stephens Tru-sonic P52A Info??

Stephens Tru-sonic P52A Info??

I spied the corner of this baby sitting under the hellicrafters in the CL ad, I thought it was a speaker but had no idea that it was this. I have already found out it wasn't ordered with the hellicrafters. All the info I can gather on it is that it is rare. I will keep it in my collection but would like to have info about it or original document or something. It still seems a total mystery to me and the cabinet is even more mysterious why gray with a red cloth? Any info would help.

Nice speaker. It was Bob Stephens' first permanent magnet model of coaxial speaker, circa late 1940s to early 1950s. If the badge says Los Angeles then it predates Stephens' 1947 move to Culver City. The high frequency compression driver on the rear fires through the woofer center pole into a nicely made little eight cell metal horn. Evidently inspired by the Altec Lansing 601 and 604, though Stephens claimed in his catalogs that he had been the first to build and sell a coaxial speaker of this type. The cabinet was Stephens' cop... I mean homage to the Altec 612 box, itself a carryover from the Lansing Iconic bass bin of 1937. The red with hammertone grey color scheme was a Stephens favorite; they continued this theme at least until Bob Stephens' death in 1957. Earlier examples of this cabinet cabinet used steel screen treated with red flocking.

These coaxial systems were a big deal in the late '40s. I just scored a Jensen type H, same type of thing except for a Tannoy-like arrangement of the woofer cone forming the horn in front. It is also in its original factory box.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schell View Post
    Nice speaker. It was Bob Stephens' first permanent magnet model of coaxial speaker, circa late 1940s to early 1950s. If the badge says Los Angeles then it predates Stephens' 1947 move to Culver City. The high frequency compression driver on the rear fires through the woofer center pole into a nicely made little eight cell metal horn. Evidently inspired by the Altec Lansing 601 and 604, though Stephens claimed in his catalogs that he had been the first to build and sell a coaxial speaker of this type. The cabinet was Stephens' cop... I mean homage to the Altec 612 box, itself a carryover from the Lansing Iconic bass bin of 1937. The red with hammertone grey color scheme was a Stephens favorite; they continued this theme at least until Bob Stephens' death in 1957. Earlier examples of this cabinet cabinet used steel screen treated with red flocking.

These coaxial systems were a big deal in the late '40s. I just scored a Jensen type H, same type of thing except for a Tannoy-like arrangement of the woofer cone forming the horn in front. It is also in its original factory box.
    Thanks, this must be an early one as it says LA and the grille is the metal mesh like you say. I wonder why the hammertone grey was their favorite scheme? It sure isn't something I would want to place in my living room in the 50's would stick out like a sore thumb, it has that industrial look to it. Do you think I should attempt to fill in the nicks and repaint it?

These were industrial cabinets, intended for various professional uses. Stephens also made fancier wood finished cabinets for the home. I once had a pair of cabinets like yours, though in much worse condition. I sold them to a fellow who gave them a complete cosmetic restoration. By my standards yours doesn't look too bad. I would either enjoy it as is or do some minimal touch up.

Thread Information