Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How often do u

How often do u

How often do you treat your cabinets finish? I am now using tung oil finish followed with a Howards feed & wax treatment. Is this an acceptable finish? Inquiring minds want to know

I use tung oil once a year. I would think any wax application would prevent subsequent coats of oil from soaking in but others here would know better.

I have found the tung oil finish to be aggresive enough to penetrate the feed & wax. And then the feed & wax to leave a nice semi gloss surface.

And.....

Quote Originally Posted by midlife View Post
    I have found the tung oil finish to be aggresive enough to penetrate the feed & wax. And then the feed & wax to leave a nice semi gloss surface.
    there you have it.

JBL 4645
    I thought I’d might as well show what I use to keep surfaces clean.
    I love the smell of spring fresh Mr Sheen in the morning.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

33% extra free, thats alot of Mr. Sheen.

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    I thought I’d might as well show what I use to keep surfaces clean.
    I love the smell of spring fresh Mr Sheen in the morning.
    Doesn't that double as hair gel on that side of the pond? LOL

I'm using an Aussie beeswax that has a citrus cleaner ...been told to use it 2x/year , the 250ti's teac is really glowing and the finish is showing a depth ....applying the product with fine steel wool cleaned the crud out of the grain, but on 2nd app wont bother to use it. Smells good too..

My Sydney friend who sent it to me is a longtime woodworker and does great work.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

My speakers veneer does look good, but it hasn't really picked up a nice depth or glow. My regement is Howards scratch cover, then tung oil finish, then Howards feed and wax. They do look clean and the scratches or imperfections are hidden, but the depth associated with wood grain is not there. I do allow each step of my above treatment twenty minutes to be absorbed and again they do look clean, but the depth is just not there?

pdemondo
    Oil my 250Ti's every couple of years.

Here is what I use. Then the next day I use a furniture wax from the same company. (Could not fine the box to give a picture.)

this is the stuff I use....mebbe only our Aussie friends can get it tho...

the really nice thing about this stuff is that you rub it in with very fine steel wool ...that removes the gunk from the grain and the wood now looks like I think it did when new....surprising how dirty the SW gets..its a citrus cleaner..then the beeswax leaves a deep shine that does not show fingerprints.

DESCRIPTION:
    A refined Beeswax & Citrus Oil polish, with pleasant aromatics and emulsified into a ready-to -use paste.

USES:
    Polishing internal furniture and joinery that has been previously oiled or waxed. Ideal for cleaning/rejuvenating same and for the upkeep of French-polished/lacquered items. Has excellent woodworking attributes and would seal/polish slate, terracotta, stucco etc.

http://www.organoil.com.au/waxpolish/index.html
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Here's something similar, and made in USA, that the furniture snobs in my neck of the woods swear by (click the pic):

I have some, have used it, but prefer Watco Danish oil finish and Howard's Feed-N-Wax
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Punch
    Any updates on this thread? What is everyone using?

If you use the Watco Danish Oil Finish, which color do you use for the 250Ti teak?

I would like to treat them once before the winter...I'll hit them with some 4-0 Steel Wool and then I would like to add something to protect them against the dry indoor air and something to give them a deep, rich appearance.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Punch View Post
    If you use the Watco Danish Oil Finish, which color do you use for the 250Ti teak?

I would like to treat them once before the winter...I'll hit them with some 4-0 Steel Wool and then I would like to add something to protect them against the dry indoor air and something to give them a deep, rich appearance.
    I use Watco on the JBLs I rescue after sanding but those cabinets are described as simply "hardwood veneer". It has no color, it just says "natural". Seems the same as the old can I have which said only "satin oil".

I don't have any teak speaker cabinets. I just put Howard's on the 4345s before covering the tops in tinted glass and I've used Howard's on normal JBLs that didn't require stripping or sanding. Once a year on those seems enough. Try it on the back first if you're worried about it.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Thread Information