Thread: AudioSmile DAC quality problem

AudioSmile DAC quality problem

After reading about the AudioSmile modded Behringer SRC2496 in Affordable$$Audio in early 2008, I place an order with Simon Ashton - Proprietor in March 2008 and paid ~US$600. Upon receipt, I immediately installed the unit as the DAC in my two channel listening system. I use a PC as my music server running iTunes and lossless files. The music is streamed wirelessly to the system via an Apple AirPort Express using its optical digital output to feed the SRC2496.

For as long as I can remember, the two channel system had a problem where the SRC2496 would cycle rapidly through the 16/20/24 bit Wordlength option on a periodic basis, resulting in audio drop-outs. It made no difference whether the clock from the digital source is used or the clock internal to the SRC2496 is used (a selectable option on the SRC2496), the problem still occurred nearly every time I had the system on for at least ~30 minutes or more.

I assumed all the while that the audio problem was caused by my wireless network dropping out and tried everything I could think of on the PC music server to fix the problem......to no avail. A couple of weeks ago I hooked up a CD player to the SRC2496 using the CD player's coaxial digital output. Lo and behold, the SRC2496 exhibited the same rapid cycling problem and audio drop-outs. This made me realize, the problem was not with my wireless network, but with the AudioSmile SRC2496.

Just for information, earlier this year I purchased an AudioSmile DEQ2496 from Simon and have been very happy with it so far. Point being, I am a repeat AudioSmile customer and truly believed the audio drop-out problem was rooted in my wireless network. Once I discovered it was an AudioSmile SRC2496 problem, I contacted Simon immediately.

Its now been ~15 months since I purchased the AudioSmile unit. So, I contacted Simon Ashton via email and explained the problem to him. His response was the unit only had a 6 month warranty and offered to replace the unit for ~US$400, basically charging only for the price of a new SRC2496 and shipping back and forth from the US to the UK. I replied that the SRC2496 had been exhibiting this erratic behavior since it was new, but I mistakenly thought it was a wireless network problem. Explained to him that there is no way I can justify investing more than US$1000 total in an AudioSmile SRC2496 unit. That is the last communication Simon and I had on this topic. Needless to say, I am not very happy with the outcome.

I am just sharing this experience with you, do with it what you deem appropriate and give it consideration if you are in the market for a new DAC.

mcds
    I feel your pain, but joining this forum just to tell people about your problem seems a bit strange. Are you trying to mount a negative campaign against AudioSmile so that they reconsider your request?

FWIW AudioSmile seems to be a small company. You told them about the Behringer problem out of the warranty period and presumably at a time when they were no longer able to take it up with Behringer themselves. At least they made a effort to help you.

I was told about this forum by a fellow at another audio forum. Have been meaning to join for a while because I'm a JBL fan. My recent AudioSmile experience gave me a reason to join and post. Everybody's first post has to be about something, mine just happened to be about an unpleasant experience.

The Audiosmile modded Behringer units are excellent value, transforming bargain basement average gear into something you'd actually want to own.
    It's hard to know what more you expect them to do for you. Aside from a repair out of warranty, an exchange of a modded unit at an unmodded price (inc shipping) seems pretty reasonable to me.
    So tell us about your love of JBL's then.

I was lucky enough to find some JBL L112s that needed refoaming, but were in otherwise excellent condition. They are one of my favorite pair of vintage speakers. Have also used some JBL woofers and waveguides on a couple of DIY speaker projects using vintage Heath and Wharfedale cabinets with very good results.

With respect to the AudioSmile SRC2496unit, am just sad I now have a $600+ paperweight. Had no complaints about the AudioSmile SRC2496 when it worked. Think everyone has the expectation that a new piece of audio equipment will last for many years...........
    Last edited by BmWr75; 07-05-2009 at 04:57 PM. Reason: added DIY info

mcds
    It should be possible to get your SRC2496 repaired somewhere in the States so it's no longer just a paperweight. Why not contact Behringer and ask about an authorised repair centre?

Good idea. My assumption has been that the AudioSmile mods voided the Behringer warranty immediately. But, seeing if Behringer can help is the next step. I've sent an email to their support group.

Behringer Tech Support replied to my email inquiry and suggested I "try the factory reset procedure for the SRC2496. Press and hold keys emphasis + copy during power on."

Did this and as long as ALL you do is select the correct digital input after performing the reset, it may be working. However, it seems if you then change any other setting on the SRC2496 (e.g., sample rate, word length, etc.) the rapid word length cycling problem/audio drop out problem returns.

Update - nope, wait long enough and the same rapid cycling problem returns.
    Last edited by BmWr75; 07-09-2009 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Correction - "resetting" is not a solution

Thread Information