Thread: DIY B460 or equivalent conversion from 4645 or 4648

DIY B460 or equivalent conversion from 4645 or 4648

Has there been a B460 DIY reproduction thread. I searched but can't find one.

Alternatively, can anyone think of a way to convert a 4645x / 4648x cabinet (8 cu. ft.) to a B460 appearance?

Just too hard and $$$$ to locate a true B460.
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

Quote Originally Posted by mech986 View Post

Alternatively, can anyone think of a way to convert a 4645x / 4648x cabinet (8 cu. ft.) to a B460 appearance?

Just too hard and $$$$ to locate a true B460.
    Thought there was the basic thread of making a "simplified" sub for an 18 -
    ... found this one from Robb -
    http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ad.php?t=24178

There's another one, but I can't find it right now ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Here's one, Valentin made a repro cab off the drawings in that thread.

Morning, Bart,

Are you dropping in a 2245, or some other 18" JBL? Either way, why not just veneer the 4645 cabinet, and call it good? Or, do as I am going to do, and "hide" the 4645 behind a screen! My subwoofer plans are on hold, due to a lack of time to play with it, which seems to be usual for me, these days...! But, I still want to hook it up, bi-amped, to our L300's, just for fun, and for movie punch. What do you eventually want to do with your own sub? What system will you augment with it? I look forward to hearing your plans, and to seeing how things work out for you in this neat venture! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Ah, here is the link to the basic 2245 Sub cabinet I couldn't find the other day ...

http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...cal/1983-subs/

Kind of an bigger version of the B-380 cabinet for an 18 incher.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mark View Post
    Morning, Bart,

Are you dropping in a 2245, or some other 18" JBL? Either way, why not just veneer the 4645 cabinet, and call it good? Or, do as I am going to do, and "hide" the 4645 behind a screen! My subwoofer plans are on hold, due to a lack of time to play with it, which seems to be usual for me, these days...! But, I still want to hook it up, bi-amped, to our L300's, just for fun, and for movie punch. What do you eventually want to do with your own sub? What system will you augment with it? I look forward to hearing your plans, and to seeing how things work out for you in this neat venture! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your questions. The 4645 boxes are fairly shallow so they end up being sort of tall, even on their sides. I think they'd look OK veneered but then they'd still be just big rectangular boxes without a visual tie to either the L300's or 4333 type cabinets (at least without adding some front trim).

What I like about the B460 is the visual simularity or relationship to the slant front L300 cabinets. And as a furniture looking piece, I think the WAF and impact on the home decor is much easier.

Would that I had enough room to tuck them away and screen them from view. That would be nice! Maybe I should mount them where I have some French Doors leading to the back patio...I don't use those door much so why not just put a pair of 8 cu. ft. cabs there instead...

Oh, I do have now some 2245H's to try out, some of them need surround work that I'll try to get to when time allows.

Somebody mighty want to start with this damaged/empty cabinet: http://ebayitem.com/290327244059

No affiliation.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Somebody mighty want to start with this damaged/empty cabinet: http://ebayitem.com/290327244059

No affiliation.
    Yeah, I've been in contact with the seller and have looked at that. Unfortunately, it looks like the cabinet was sprayed down or rained on. Most of the seams appear split and the vent side now completely comes off. I talked with a woodworker friend who feels it might be easier to just build one rather than spend at least $150-200 dolars to get it down here and then try to rebuild it.

Sort of torn because I hate to see these cabinets not brought back to their glory. However, regarding cost and overall effort, not sure a unit like this should be the basis of a rebuilt cabinet.

Bart

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your questions. The 4645 boxes are fairly shallow so they end up being sort of tall, even on their sides. I think they'd look OK veneered but then they'd still be just big rectangular boxes without a visual tie to either the L300's or 4333 type cabinets (at least without adding some front trim).

What I like about the B460 is the visual simularity or relationship to the slant front L300 cabinets. And as a furniture looking piece, I think the WAF and impact on the home decor is much easier.

Would that I had enough room to tuck them away and screen them from view. That would be nice! Maybe I should mount them where I have some French Doors leading to the back patio...I don't use those door much so why not just put a pair of 8 cu. ft. cabs there instead...
    Howdy, Bart,

Many thanks for your comments, and information. I don't know if I ever knew what JBL system(s) you listen to at home on a regular basis. You are right that a nice B460 would like very nice with L300's, or the 4333's! And, right again when considering the WAF a 460 would offer. I have room for a screen to hide a 4645, but no room for actually showing off a nice B460, unfortunately. Maybe some furniture rearranging is in order, eh?! When you get it all sorted out, how about a photo of your "regular" JBL system? I've love to see it, if you wouldn't mind sharing. Again, best of luck, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Mark
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Thread Information