Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: JBL 035Ti repair

JBL 035Ti repair

Hi JBL lovers,

Yesterday I received a nice pair of JBL L80T.
    But the 035Ti has lost its magnet during the trip
    Fortunately there was no damage on the woofer cone.
    Is it possible to reglue it ? It seems very difficult to center it
    If it is possible, which kind of glue have I to use ?
    Thank you for your help.

Pascal
    Spirou38 JBL 4344MKII 4333A 4312MKII L80T L40 L20T Ti2000

Frenchie
    Faut un générateur pour le centrer ; le 035TIA a des picots de centrage pour éviter ça.
    Pourquoi l'aimant est tombé au fait ? Si les vis sont cassées…

I melted one of mine down in my L100t's about three months ago, ebay is your friend for 80 euros you will have a pair of tweeters with one for the next time one goes south.

Mark
    Well why not it's just one more pair...
    4340's and 250ti's what an odd pair...

Same thing happened to me recently. Received a pair of L20t's, which had not been packed well by their seller, and one of the 035Ti's had its magnet broken away. Seems to be a bit of a pattern with this tweeter.

Look out for replacements on ebay. I luckily picked one up for only £20 but they usually go for over £50, incl shipping, or more for a pair. Alternately, buy an appropriate second-hand, local pickup, JBL speaker going cheap that already has the 035Ti (or 035TiA) in it. It could be more cost effective than hunting down parted out tweeters. I've seen some 035Ti-equipped speakers going for under £100 (such as a pair of L80T recently)

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchie View Post
    Faut un générateur pour le centrer ; le 035TIA a des picots de centrage pour éviter ça.
    Pourquoi l'aimant est tombé au fait ? Si les vis sont cassées…
    L'aimant est tombé au cours du transport, ce malgré un super emballage. Il y a trace de choc sur l'emballage mais visible que de l'intérieur de celui-ci !

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph856 View Post
    Same thing happened to me recently. Received a pair of L20t's, which had not been packed well by their seller, and one of the 035Ti's had its magnet broken away. Seems to be a bit of a pattern with this tweeter.

Look out for replacements on ebay. I luckily picked one up for only £20 but they usually go for over £50, incl shipping, or more for a pair. Alternately, buy an appropriate second-hand, local pickup, JBL speaker going cheap that already has the 035Ti (or 035TiA) in it. It could be more cost effective than hunting down parted out tweeters. I've seen some 035Ti-equipped speakers going for under £100 (such as a pair of L80T recently)
    Unfortunately I live in France and I'm afraid that it will occur the same problem in transportation if I find 035Ti's on eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by jbl_daddy View Post
    I melted one of mine down in my L100t's about three months ago, ebay is your friend for 80 euros you will have a pair of tweeters with one for the next time one goes south.

Mark
    Unfortunately I live in France and I'm afraid that it will occur the same problem in transportation if I find 035Ti's on eBay.

A tweeter on its own shouldn't break in transit, as long as its wrapped well with bubblewrap etc. Just make sure it's sent insured, if you are worried.

Question lucky man

A tweeter on its own shouldn't break in transit, as long as its wrapped well with bubblewrap etc. Just make sure it's sent insured, if you are worried.
    and ... double boxed plus foam with metal grill/dome protection (cardboard tube for example).
    Several pairs got home by airmail from USA to France without any damage during overseas shipping

Someone recently sent me a pair of 035ti's in a small box with not that much bubblewrap and they arrived safely. I think they are far more likely to get damaged while inside a speaker that isn't packed well than on their own.

Quote Originally Posted by ratitifb View Post
    and ... double boxed plus foam with metal grill/dome protection (cardboard tube for example).
    Several pairs got home by airmail from USA to France without any damage during overseas shipping
    Someone recently sent me a pair of 035ti's in a small box with not that much bubblewrap and they arrived safely. I think they are far more likely to get damaged while inside a speaker that isn't packed well than on their own.
    The L80T were profesionnaly packed ... but carrying was achieved by GLS

My memory might be wrong, but I thought the magnet assembly tied to the diaphragm assembly (front plate, dome, voice coil) with three small allen head screws. It's self-aligning assuming the diaphragm/voice coil wasn't damaged when the magnet fell off.

I think it's very unlikely that the motor would fall off without damage (usually the mounting plate breaks) but I suppose if the screws work themselves loose, it's possible.

Am I wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Slare View Post
    My memory might be wrong, but I thought the magnet assembly tied to the diaphragm assembly (front plate, dome, voice coil) with three small allen head screws. It's self-aligning assuming the diaphragm/voice coil wasn't damaged when the magnet fell off.

I think it's very unlikely that the motor would fall off without damage (usually the mounting plate breaks) but I suppose if the screws work themselves loose, it's possible.

Am I wrong?
    Unfortunately, no self-aligning srcews just glue.

But when falling off the 035Ti, it made just a little chip in the paint of the L80T bass speaker, fortunately no damage on the woofer cone.

Well, I think that's the problem then. It shouldn't have been glued. There are four bolts that hold the motor to the diaphragm. The arrows show where these bolts bolt into the magnet assembly.

Maybe there were glued versions but I've never seen or heard of one as such.

Does yours look different?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Is there a person that has a picture of one with the engine broke off? I am going to take apart my burnt up one tonight and look for glue...
    Well why not it's just one more pair...
    4340's and 250ti's what an odd pair...

Thread Information