Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Refinishing JBL L250

Refinishing JBL L250

I recently inherited my father's JBL L250 speakers, the ones I grew up listening to in the 70's. In the 80's my parents had them painted black and now I want to restore them to their original natural wood finish.

The first thing I noticed when starting to formulate a plan is that there appears to be a panel on the back opposite where the high frequency dome radiator is housed but there doesn't appear to be a way to remove it. Any ideas on how to remove this before starting to refinish the cabinet? Any other advice/guidance would be appreciated.

Also: the wire mesh dome grills are dented. Do replacement parts exist for this speaker? My father bought these new and I don't think they have ever been serviced. They still sound good.

Congratulations on your L250s. I hope the circumstances of the inheritance were positive.

They're iconic JBL speakers and still one of the greats. I count mine among the top ten of JBLS I've had (and heard) over the years.

The access panel to the 044-1 tweeters is indeed on the back. From a distance, you can see the panel on the back of an L250 behind the one in front.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Out.

In this angled shot of something else, you can see the location of four of the screw holes that hold the panel in place. There are eight in all.
    Out.

So, you might want to check to see if you have screw holes in those locations, perhaps covered with wood filler and painted over.

Mine were already popped out when I bought them out of the back of a shop.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    In this angled shot of MY SAD, NEGLECTED LASERDISC PLAYERS, you can see the location of four of the screw holes that hold the panel in place. There are eight in all.
    Fixed it.

je

Great! I can faintly see where the screw holes have been covered with filler and paint. Thanks for your help. Now, where is that sandpaper ...

--bg

There was a thread here about getting that panel off. Something involving levers and 2x4s, if I remember correctly. I'm sure someone can find it but I'm not using the correct search words. For that member, at least, getting the panel off was far from simple, even with the screws removed.

Good luck.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    There was a thread here about getting that panel off. Something involving levers and 2x4s, if I remember correctly. I'm sure someone can find it but I'm not using the correct search words. For that member, at least, getting the panel off was far from simple, even with the screws removed.

Good luck.
    I was one, there have been others who have spent days getting them out. Basically if you know what a gear-puller is, that's the sort of apparatus that's needed. I don't envy having to do it if the screws and cracks have been filled with lord-knows-what. But with the right tools and loads of patience it can be done safely. I think I started one thread on this very project.

Here it is: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ad.php?t=23667

[quote=rdgrimes;253306]I was one, there have been others who have spent days getting them out. Basically if you know what a gear-puller is, that's the sort of apparatus that's needed. I don't envy having to do it if the screws and cracks have been filled with lord-knows-what. But with the right tools and loads of patience it can be done safely. I think I started one thread on this very project.

So I see

Screws are out but the panel won't budge. I ran an exacto knive blade around the cracks and it seems to be clear. Is this just a flat panel or is there something attached to it? Where is the resistance coming from? Is it just a really tight fit? Days, huh?

Got it off! Thanks.

--bg

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Sanford View Post
    Fixed it.

je
    Why I watched Caligula on laserdisc just the other day--or at least as much as I could stand.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by barryg View Post
    Got it off! Thanks.

--bg
    Good deal. The old foamy plasticy gaskets really like to stick tight. If you don't get the gasket in one piece, be sure to use a new gasket of some type when you re-assemble.

With respect to the screens on the tweeters, you'll find a number of topics here on the O-rings that hold them in place. JBL still sells them. Pop them out and make them round again. Or you can sometimes pull them back out with a tweezer without even removing them. Watch that tweezer around the tweeter dome!

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Why I watched Caligula on laserdisc just the other day--or at least as much as I could stand.
    I watched a blues concert with John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers + guests.

I've never seen Caligula, but have heard of its reputation.

je

Cool LD still playing...

Had the extended family over a while back, we watched Pulse (see avatar), my mom really loved it!
    Mike Scott in SJ, CA
    Drive 'em to the Xmax!

More refinishing questions

The refinishing project is progressing nicely. A few of questions:
    The gray foam-like outer ring of the woofer cone is torn in a few places.
    Should the speakers be sent back to JBL for repair or should I look for a reputable speaker repair shop in my area (Los Angeles).
    An recommendations for where I can find the brown grill cloth similar to
    the original covering?
    For any of you who have actually refinished the cabinets what finish did
    you use. I'm starting to research finishes for walnut veneer. Thanks.

--bg

Thread Information