Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jbl S412p

I thought the real kicker with these speakers is the amp - I mean,
    model S412p - the P is for powered speaker, right?
    I thought another member had an amp go and said
    it was impossible to get a replacement AMP module ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    I thought the real kicker with these speakers is the amp - I mean,
    model S412p - the P is for powered speaker, right?
    I thought another member had an amp go and said
    it was impossible to get a replacement AMP module ...
    Mine are doing fine because I play them at a comfortable level. When they are played hard over a period of years, somethings gonna go, but there is no reason they can't be fixed.

The amp in one of my S412PIIs was just in two factory authorized JBL shops and neither could repair it. The most recent one said that the original parts that were damaged were lead based and could not be exactly replaced. The replacement parts that were installed do not seem to work as there is no bass output. Do you think its possible to use a third party sub woofer amp (outboard) and if so, what specs should the amp have so that it is somewhat compatible. I contacted JBL and they confirmed that there are no amps available. Its a shame because the system is truly awesome and I would hate to not having it perform up to its capability.
    Cliff

Roughly when did JBL stop manufacuture of the S412p, out of interest?

I bought my pair from J & R Music World heavily discounted in 2005 I think so I guess production had stopped by then.
    Cliff

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    The amp in one of my S412PIIs was just in two factory authorized JBL shops and neither could repair it. The most recent one said that the original parts that were damaged were lead based and could not be exactly replaced. The replacement parts that were installed do not seem to work as there is no bass output. Do you think its possible to use a third party sub woofer amp (outboard) and if so, what specs should the amp have so that it is somewhat compatible. I contacted JBL and they confirmed that there are no amps available. Its a shame because the system is truly awesome and I would hate to not having it perform up to its capability.
    http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Ow...ERIES%20om.pdf

You could maybe use a subwoofer plate amp, probably class D, to substitute for the originals. According to the owners manual, the stock amp was rated at 200 watts, I assume @ 8 ohms. It may be tricky hooking it up to the crossovers. You may be able to modifiy the cabinet to accept the amp? It can probably be done but would likely be a challenge.

Good luck!

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/pro...roducts_id=368

Here's a subwoofer amp offered by Madisound that may work especially considering the adjustable crossover and volume control. There are plenty others out there.

Originally posted by oznob
    It can probably be done but would likely be a challenge.
    The first challenge is figuring the impedance of the woofer. This information is nowhere to be found.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    I bought my pair from J & R Music World heavily discounted in 2005 I think so I guess production had stopped by then.
    Only 4 yrs ago. Someone's avin a larf, mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusnzha View Post
    Originally posted by oznob

The first challenge is figuring the impedance of the woofer. This information is nowhere to be found.
    http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Te...ERIES%20ts.pdf

According to JBL Customer Support, the S412P uses the same woofer as the S312, part #335151-001. According to the tech sheet for the 312, the woofer measures 5.6 ohms, give or take a few.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Those PolyPlas® drivers are in lots of enclosures, so I bet there's a compatible replacement out there with a slightly different number. The gold ones have different numbers than the copper ones, which have different numbers than the silver ones, which have different numbers than the black ones. There might be some minor cosmetic or frame differences, but I could drop the 8" woofer from my E50 into an S38 or S38II and you'd never hear the difference.

The one thing that really has changed is the tweeter. There's no swapping there, but there are non-OEM units at some of the supply houses from time to time.
    In a recent conversation with Greg Timbers of JBL, I was told the copper and silver colored S Series Drivers are identical
    With the grilles on, who will know ?

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by ka7niq View Post
    In a recent conversation with Greg Timbers
    Yeah I know... he reiterated the fact that this forum has become a real problem and that he really doesn't have time to participate. Not via PM, email or phone calls...

That's about as diplomatic as I can put it.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Yeah I know... he reiterated the fact that this forum has become a real problem and that he really doesn't have time to participate. Not via PM, email or phone calls...

Yep
    I was suprised that BOTH Greg and I own Quicksilver Tube Amps
    We both agreed the JBL L7 has a heroic woofer, and he told me how he WISHED he could have used that quality driver in the S412P's, but cost constraints would not allow it!
    He told me of the Array speaker, gives me something to "save up for" one day ??
    And, I emailed him This http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/spe...28/283520.html
    And praised him for a speaker I really like a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    I think the point perhaps being missed here is that it's an imposition to assume that just because you know Greg's name and where he works, he has the time to handle personal inquiries or listen to and comment on anecdotal experiences. That he graciously handled the contact is a testimony to the gentleman's character. That someone actually made such a call is amazing to me.

I, for one, appreciate what Mr. Timbers and others have already contributed to this site, this group of members, and this hobby and I hope everyone else has the common sense not to make them regret it.

I know, wishful thinking in this FaceBook world!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I think the point perhaps being missed here is that it's an imposition to assume that just because you know Greg's name and where he works, he has the time to handle personal inquiries or listen to and comment on anecdotal experiences. That he graciously handled the contact is a testimony to the gentleman's character. That someone actually made such a call is amazing to me.

I, for one, appreciate what Mr. Timbers and others have already contributed to this site, this group of members, and this hobby and I hope everyone else has the common sense not to make them regret it.

I know, wishful thinking in this FaceBook world!
    I fail to understand how calling Greg Timbers is an "imposition" ?
    I am not a speaker engineer, but I am an expert in MY field.
    http://roof-cleaning-institute.activeboard.com/
    I DEPEND on feedback from several people using cleaning technology I developed, good and BAD.
    I have spoken with Floyd Tool, Sean Olive, Alan Deventier, Richard Vandersteen, Albert Von Schweikert, Bill Watkins, Jim Thiel, Laurie Fincham, John Bowers, Ivor Tiefenbraun, Jim Rogers, Roy Delgado, Paul Klipsch, Jim Hunter, and many other engineers associated with sound reproduction over the years.
    MOST engineers are capable of talking HONESTLY about flaws in their designs.
    This is because MOST engineers are objective
    But, when you get on a forum like this and DARE to suggest a design is flawed, WATCH OUT!
    I really enjoyed my conversations with Greg, and found he too hears some problems in designs we have BOTH listened to.

I was and am MOST Impressed with the S412P, told Greg so, asked for a schematic to put better capacitors in it, and ASKED him WHAT new JBL product I should consider to BEAT it ?
    The New JBL Array was suggested.

Harman International, owner of JBL, wants to sell speakers.
    I BET if you asked Harman International if it was "OK" to call an engineer for a speaker suggestion, they would give a BIG "OK" ?

Your oint: is noted, but shall be totally IGNORED

UNDERSTAND ???

Just so we are CLEAR on this, i will call ANY engineer I want, whenever I choose
    Especially when i have NOTHING but praise for something they designed.

Gee, last time I LOOKED, complimenting someone was not against the Law.

Thread Information