Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Altec compression drivers are these?

Which Altec compression drivers are these?

Picked these up locally yesterday. Apparently they came out of Union Railway Station in Denver.

I assume the horns are Tar filled 1005b's? Any Idea what the compression drivers are? The back plate says "ALTEC Lansing Corporation Hollywood", but the labels have been painted over many, many times.

My current mid range horns are Altec Manta Ray MR-64's driven by 299 CDs with GPA 288 8K diaphragms (400hz to 7.2Khz). I wonder if these multicells would sound any better. :dont-know These things are way to heavy to be swapping in and out without knowing I'm going to get a worthwhile improvement in sound. Otherwise they will have to wait in the basement for that next project. Every home needs at least one set of Altec's per floor, right?

I can't tell if they're tar-filled without a side or top view of the horns.

Maybe the drivers are old 288s, you might have to inspect the diaphrams to tell.

IMO no horn sounds better than the 1005 multicell.

Thanks for the reply Tom. Here's a pic of the top of the horn. As you can see it doesn't have any gaps between the individual cells. Each horn and driver seem to weigh about 100-150lb. So if it's not tar it's gotta be lead filled lol.

When I get these guys out of the truck I'll take off the covers and check out the diaphragms.

Oh yeah, those are tar filled. I had to get my kid's help setting my old tar-filled 1005s with 288s atop the cabinets they sat on.

Steve71 you've got some good stuff there. To me they look like mid to late 1940s H-1005 tar filled horns with solid brass throats and drivers of similar vintage. Since the driver decals are painted over you would have to remove the rear covers and examine the diaphragms to determine the driver model. Most likely they are 288s with aluminum diaphragms, but they could be an early version of 289 or 290 with phenolic diaphragm. How about posting some diaphragm pictures? Enquiring minds want to know!

The tar filled horns do sound really good, better than the later non-filled versions. I'm pretty sure I would prefer them over the Mantarays, but you'll have to decide that one.

Thanks for the info Steve. I'll post up some pics of the diaphragms, but it might not be for a few weeks. I have to make some space in the basement & rope someone into helping me unload these.

I measured the 1005's and unfortunately they won't fit without blocking the screen. I'd love to hear them, but there would be considerable effort to set them up only to have to carry them down two flights of stairs. In years to come I'll have a larger space for them.

At any rate, since these came out of Union Train Station, I have just the song play on these guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0HM0RtRv-E

Well I've managed to get one of these beasts into the house. Hopefully this week-end I'll get them both up stairs and swap them out for MR-64 horns - at least for a few weeks.

Anyway here are the requested pics of the diaphragm. I'd say the diameter is around 3 & 1/4".

Is it safe to assume that, due to their vintage, these are Alnico magnets?

Well I've found something with the same "Altec Lansing corporation Hollywood" markings on the back. So I guess this is an 1946 (or so) 288 driver.

Here is a link to the ebay listing. The sale is for a complete 1946 A5 VOTT, but if you scroll down there are pics of the 288 driver. In the 288 pic the label just says "288" no a,b,c etc

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-altec-A5-from1946-with-RWB-lable-288-515-1005-horns_W0QQitemZ330329135097QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVint age_Electronics_R2?hash=item4ce92697f9&_trksid=p32 86.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A 1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

The seller is asking $2500 for the 288's if sold separately. I don't know how fair a figure that is, but it seems like I got quite a deal on mine .

I still have not had a chance swap these out for the Mantaray /288-8K drivers.. I got side tracked with some lovely Gauss 1502 tweeters. Now one channel of my Crown D-45 is playing up, so my system in down. Listening to the 1005's might still be a few weeks off.

Think they look like these?

I have been led to believe that these are 288B's. I can't date these, but the "W" LF horns (see avatar) have 515's with 1953 dates on them....:dont-know

IMHO, these have some of the sweetest mids and upper mids around. However, they don't have the sparkle that comes with meaningful response over 12K-14KHz....
    Cheers!

Analog Addict

Jack of all Trades, Master of None
    Searching for Sonic Nirvana

Thanks for the post Analog Addict!

Those 288B's look very close but the ones I have say "Hollywood" underneath "Lansing corporation". You should be able to make that out in the second photo I posted.

When I hook these up I'll be crossing to a HF horn at 7.2K so thankfully any short comings in the HF range won't matter. I didn't really like the HF response of the 288-8K drivers I'm using now.

Those bass horns in your avatar look very interesting, they look to have a much smaller throat area than most of the Altec bass horns. Do you have a link to some larger pics?

Forgot to mention...

That my components are badged as "IPC", so I can't say if the markings will be identical.

I threw together a photobucket album with most of my Altec gear in it. There's a few things missing, like my 19's and 872B's, but most of the larger stuff is there....

http://s443.photobucket.com/albums/q..._addict/Altec/

There may be some dup's also, since I haven't had time to clean it up yet....
    Cheers!

Analog Addict

Jack of all Trades, Master of None
    Searching for Sonic Nirvana

Is it possible that these are actually 1003 horns? When browsing pics of the 1005b's mine look larger relative to the throat. Also these were used as public address horns in a railway station so it would make sense that they'd spec 300hz horns for speech.

Anyway here is a pic of the horn from directly above. The CD is there so you can judge scale.

BTW thanks for the link Analogue Addict, at first I didn't realize that you had multiple pages. That is an amazing collection.

- This pdf document about Altecs' MultiCellular Horns will help you determine what model your horn is ( by comparing its' dimensions ) .

>< cheers

Thanks Earl! According to the dimensions it's a 1003b horn. No wonder these things weigh a ton as they are considerably larger than the 1005b's.

Yup, 1003s. You'll have better loading of the lower mids and a bit less high frequencies than with the 1005s, a very good tradeoff in my book. I have long preferred a low, +-300Hz. crossover frequency in order to have most of the vocals coming from one driver / horn combination. 300Hz. is a bit much to ask from 288s, although 375Hz. was the standard xover frequency of the Lansing Shearer systems, using a second order filter. Later on Altec changed the xover frequency to 500Hz. when the VOTT was introduced.

The actual exponential flare constant of the 300Hz. horns is lower, something like 180Hz. The old masters knew well to stay above the actual cutoff to avoid excessive response ripples. You're going to like these things. I've spent many happy hours listening to Altec 300Hz. multis, and they weren't even the superior quality tar filled ones like you have.

Thread Information