Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cabinet design for 2245H

Cabinet design for 2245H

I'm planning cabinet design for a pair of 2245H and have a few differnet ideas:

- 2 x B460 clone
    - 2 x Altec 8184 clone (simple box of 12ft3)
    - 1 x Altec 8182 clone (one box of 24ft3 with both drivers in)
    - 2 x sonotubes:

I would love a pair B460 clones but I'm not sure if I have the skills needed, and they are expensive if I should get them builit.

Is 2 woofers in one big box a bad solution compared to two smaller ones?

Any experince with 2245 or similiar in sonotubes? They are very popular in DIY woofers with i.e. SVS, SoundSplinter & TC Sound, but haven't seen many of them been used with "our woofers". Big advantages with these cabinets are that they are very easy to build and the weight of them

You need to do some searches, all of your questions have been answered here at some point in time.
    LE15-Thumper
    "Give me JBL, or give me death"

If I found the answer via search, maybe I hadn't asked the question

The design looks like a water heater.

I totally agree about the look of it, when I think of cabinet design I was thinking about the sound, not the look

2245 mounted face down has too heavy a cone!

You will experience that the cone sag will eventually have the voice coil out of its required location in the gap!

Somewhere on this forum it has been discussed using drivers facing down using heavy cones. Do a search and read what has been written about it already!

Regards, Ron
    JBL Pro for home use!

Hey, Friends,

Many years ago, when lived up in Minneapolis, MN, and I worked at Schaak Electronics, one of my co-workers was a German fellow, named Heinz. He invited me to his place, to hear his home-cobble speakers, and it turned out he had made them out of very large terra cotta pipes, similar to what has been shown in this tread. From what I can remember, I thought their bass range was very limited, almost like blowing across the open top of a bottle. He got Peerless components, from DLK, which was a Schaak House Brand, at the time, and so I knew that they "should" sound good. But, to me ear, it didn't. The bass seemed like it as a "one note Johnny", and was quite limited. Now, maybe Heinz didn't know beans about putting such a speaker together. I don't know.... But, that's the only such system I've ever heard, and I was not too impressed with it, to be honest. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

16hz lover
    Quote Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
    I'm planning cabinet design for a pair of 2245H and have a few differnet ideas:

- 2 x B460 clone
    - 2 x Altec 8184 clone (simple box of 12ft3)
    - 1 x Altec 8182 clone (one box of 24ft3 with both drivers in)
    - 2 x sonotubes:

Is 2 woofers in one big box a bad solution compared to two smaller ones?

Any experince with 2245 or similiar in sonotubes? They are very popular in DIY woofers with i.e. SVS, SoundSplinter & TC Sound, but haven't seen many of them been used with "our woofers". Big advantages with these cabinets are that they are very easy to build and the weight of them
    The JBL 4642 is a fine example of (2) 18" 2241 drivers in a single box.

What about an ELF system, any experince with 2245 in such a setup? Would 3ft3 be enough for each woofer or do they need more? (I do not have much experince with ELF and don't know how to calculate box for it)

The idea that came up is to run each 2245 in a 3-4ft3 sealed box, powered by a 2x1kw Crown amp and a BagEnd ELF-M box

What about an ELF system, any experince with 2245 in such a setup? Would 3ft3 be enough for each woofer or do they need more? (I do not have much experince with ELF and don't know how to calculate box for it)

The idea that came up is to run each 2245 in a 3-4ft3 sealed box, powered by a 2x1kw Crown amp and a BagEnd ELF-M box
    I did not model a 3 cuFt cabinet because it is way too small. I tried a sealed cabinet of 4 cuft and heavily packed with fill. The F3 for such a design is 63 Hz!

The curve rooloff is such that at 20 Hz you are 17 dB down from where it is at 100 Hz.

A vented cabinet of 12 to 14 cuft gives you something better (F3 of 40 Hz).

I know a sealed box of that size normally is too little, but that's where the ELF do its thing But maybe I have to calculate an ELF box the same way as an sealed, and therefor need a bigger box even with ELF :dont-know

I know a sealed box of that size normally is too little, but that's where the ELF do its thing But maybe I have to calculate an ELF box the same way as an sealed, and therefor need a bigger box even with ELF :dont-know
    Does ELF = Extremely Low Frequency?

The violet curve is the 2245 in 4 cubic foot sealed cabinet.

The cyan colored curve is the 2245 in a vented enclosure of 14 cubic feet.

The basic rule of thumb (someone correct me if I am wrong) is to get deep bass you need a lot of volume behind the driver.

The - 3 dB point for the 14 cubic foot vented enclosure is 40 Hz.

The -3 dB point for the small sealed enclosure is about 65 Hz.

If I pump up the volume of the vented enclosure to 18 cubic feet, then I can get the -3 dB point down as low as 27 Hz.

You might want to look at these designs I found on Google.

Both the 8 cubic foot and the 12 cubic foot designs are called "assisted" designs. That is, you need a special active equalizer to boos the bass where it rolls off to get good low end performance.

Lastly, the paper discuses a 4.5 cubic foot design for the 2235H.

Quote Originally Posted by Loren42 View Post
    You might want to look at these designs I found on Google.

Both the 8 cubic foot and the 12 cubic foot designs are called "assisted" designs. That is, you need a special active equalizer to boos the bass where it rolls off to get good low end performance.

Lastly, the paper discuses a 4.5 cubic foot design for the 2235H.
    Hello Loren and Baldrick,

I would have to agree with Loren's recommendation for these designs. I built a 2235 sub to the design in this paper with an active filter- Great sound (well done the boyz at JBL for publishing this). Nowdays the eq is easily achieved with many of the digital eq products around. I have a couple of 2245s that will eventually get the same treatment.

To this day I still remember the incredible slam of this sub, in part of the opening scene of Jurassic Park I, when they were using a shot gun cartridge to create a shock for measurement/underground scan for dinosaur bones. Check out that scene with a good sub- Many that I've tried since don't cut it as well.

Good luck with your project

Best
    JA
    Have Fun - >>> Nessun Dorma - 12 years old <<<
    Best, Joe Alesi

Thread Information