Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Question JBL Paragon

Question JBL Paragon

I thought there were only 1000 JBL Paragon made and they were patented and the secret of how to make them was closely guarded. This guy is selling the plans to make them on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/JBL-Paragon-D4400...3286.m20.l1116

Is this stuff just copies of components from the LH website and being sold? He even post a link to LH.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Feroce View Post
    I thought there were only 1000 JBL Paragon made and they were patented and the secret of how to make them was closely guarded. This guy is selling the plans to make them on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/JBL-Paragon-D4400...3286.m20.l1116

Is this stuff just copies of components from the LH website and being sold? He even post a link to LH.

Ed
    seems those plans turn up every so often - couple of folks here have built them ...
    Paragons are a glorious styling exercise of an era ...
    and the real value will always be with clean, original examples, not with clones ...

They did come with different driver loads, and some had built in amps (energizers)
    Check the library and look them up in the catalogs ...

Do you like the sound of them? That is the ultimate question of any speaker design.
    As I said, they are very much of an era -
    think of the typical sound sources in use when they were in production.

That said, we know at least one owner here uses his pair to listen to Howard Stern ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

This guy
    dougie.com is a member here.. you can PM him and ask direct.

Certainly several folks here have also bought 4311/4312 tweeter foam ring replacements from him, not just me. He has been very accommodative.

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    seems those plans turn up every so often - couple of folks here have built them ...
    Paragons are a glorious styling exercise of an era ...
    and the real value will always be with clean, original examples, not with clones ...

They did come with different driver loads, and some had built in amps (energizers)
    Check the library and look them up in the catalogs ...

Do you like the sound of them? That is the ultimate question of any speaker design.
    As I said, they are very much of an era -
    think of the typical sound sources in use when they were in production.

That said, we know at least one owner here uses his pair to listen to Howard Stern ...
    I just wondered if they were just a come on. I would like to see the plans to build the cabinets for them. Doubt if I would ever build them but I can still dream. The componets I know can be searched here in the library. Sometimes information gets lost over time and you wish you would have got it because you can not get it anymore. I would not listen to Howard Stern on them, nor would I on my own speakers. I don't even know where/when he is on the radio I have seen him on TV and I think one might loose some of the show over the radio. My brother did listen to a pair and he said it did not matter where you were in the room the sound was the same.
    Ed

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Fangio View Post
    dougie.com is a member here.. you can PM him and ask direct.

Certainly several folks here have also bought 4311/4312 tweeter foam ring replacements from him, not just me. He has been very accommodative.

Good enough for me I just bought them.

Thank you
    Ed

Good enough for me I just bought them.

Thank you
    Ed
    Aren't they still available from JBL for ~$1.99? Is it an international sale/shipping issue?

je

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Sanford View Post
    Aren't they still available from JBL for ~$1.99?
    They are still listed on the current parts list. You'd have to call to see if they are in stock.

part number 50402 $1.90.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Sanford View Post
    Is it an international sale/shipping issue?
    In my case it was back then, yes.

It will take a lot of know-how and a lot of tools to really build a "perfect" Paragon. Believe me, I ones had one, and for curiosity I removed how much that I dared do, and, ... wow.

If it is the purpose for a person to build just one it will also take a lot of money.

Don't know if it is true, but I have been told that there is a company in the US that still build them.

Last edited by Hoerninger; 03-08-2009 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Top View

Yes, this is from the original production. I believe the man on the photo in Mr. Paragon himself.

I have been told, can't confirm it is true, but he was the one listening to every Paragon leaving the factory. Sanding, listening, sanding and listening and so on until he was satisfied.

After he was no longer available, (don't know what happened) the production was closed..

Smile

Well I don't know if I made a mistake spending that much money to buy the plans but I did not know any other way.

I said I don't think I will ever build "IT" (I was going to say them, I only need one) but after seeing the photos and links in this thread it looks like something I might want to do for the challenge. I do love a challenge and it does show in the show cars I have built over the years, Patent and books copyrights. What I have learned from General Motors in the Experimental Engineering is invaluable. Plus my best friend worked at the same place but in the Wood Model Shop. The drawbacks are I don't have any place to put it when done, so I would have to sell it and the cost to build is a factor since I am retired (Have time/low money)

This all started from what I thought was a fraud. I never dreamed I could get the plans.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    couple of folks here have built them ...

Are you sure about that? I think there has been a lot of talk about it but no action!!!

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Are you sure about that? I think there has been a lot of talk about it but no action!!!
    Pretty sure at a minimum, Maron's built one, and I was sure at least another member had done it ..

Quote Originally Posted by Maron Horonzakz
    I built two PARAGONS back in the early 70,s I didnt carve out the legs I ordered those from JBL. The whole project me two months. Ill never do that again. I no longer have the plans.
    see - http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...3&postcount=14
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by Rolf View Post
    Yes, this is from the original production. I believe the man on the photo is Mr. Paragon himself.

I have been told, can't confirm it is true, but he was the one listening to every Paragon leaving the factory. Sanding, listening, sanding and listening and so on until he was satisfied.

After he was no longer available, (don't know what happened) the production was closed..
    Nope, not true.

The Paragons were built in the cabinet shop, located across the tracks, behind our Casitas Ave. main factory.

After the finished cabinets were built, they were brought over to the Casitas loading dock, where they were assembled, loaded with components, tested, then taken apart, and boxed for shipping.

We had one guy from the cabinet shop to do any touch up to the finish, but components were never installed at the cabinet shop.

The only person to ever hear finished Paragons were the people in QC (which for a long time, was just me). If it was tested just before lunch, I'd play music through it from an old Fisher tuner I had in the QC cubicle. That was about the only time people in the plant got to hear a Paragon (except for one that was sometimes set up in the test lab for visiting dignitaries).

It is probably true that only a few people were involved in building the Paragon (and the Hartsfield), since both were highly complex to build.

Thread Information