Thread: Need info on SR4725X

United Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Amurica, Inc.

Need info on SR4725X

Hello gents. Long time since I've poked around here.

I found a NOS pair of SR4725X's at a local dealer at a very good price but haven't had the chance to really hear them properly. Too many customers around to get them up to normal levels that I'd be using them at, but first blush was that they were fairly hot in the midrange and would probably require a sub, and/or judicious EQ'ing.

Since I play drums and we often rehearse at my place, these would be for band use as monitors, to help with reinforcement at gigs, as well as monitors for playback when I practice. Right now we're using my basement for this, which is approx. 28' x 33' x 7.75'.

I have the general specs (except the distortion, impedance curve, power compression, etc.) from JBL and they look good. The cabs being 13-ply birch is one thing I like about them, much better than some current designs.

Questions are:

A. When were these in production? As far as I know they were early 2000's.

B. What are the general thoughts on their sound and reliability? Of course I'm going to have to hear them more before I jump, but I'd be interested in any opinions from the folks here.

C. Where do I find the other specs - FR/compression/impulse/imp. graphs, distortion specs?

TIA!

Hard to believe that no one here has any input on this. (Yes, I did a search and not much comes up, other than the older vers. SR4725 had problems with X-O's heating up.)

Ian? Widget? boputnam? Giskard? Anyone?

Thanks guys...

I have a pair of them and love them. I built the cabs but the components are all of what would come stock in the SR4725X. They do require some minor EQing. I am powering mine with a Crown CSL1400 and they will play stupid loud!

Well I went ahead and took them home for a trial run for a few days anyway, despite all the "help" I've had here in this thread. (BTW - thanks for the reply, clubman.) Ran pink noise through them for a day or so (with the house vacated and the door shut!) just in case they weren't burned-in already.

They sound damned good so far about 16" off the floor, and yes with a bit of EQ, but I've never seen a PA-type speaker or horn that didn't need some form of EQ'ing. Only graphs/curves I've found are on the individual drivers, but nothing yet on the speaker system.

Do you know what if/any the difference is between the 129-20058-00 X-O and the 129-20058-01? I didn't see any difference in the electrical values or layout of the schematics, unless there was a change in the brand or type of cap, resistors, et al...or unless I missed something. :dont-know I removed the backplates and this pair has the '-00 version.

I also noticed there was the "SR4725X/F (REV F)" and the "SR4725X (REV G)". The F is the flying version but does anyone know what the REV F and G differences were? All I can see is a difference of 1dB Sensitivity (97dB or 98dB/1w/1m), and the cabinet size is changed a bit.

Not every one here has listened to the JBL PRO speakers.

The SR4725 is from the 1990 era, they are very good speakers.
    I was installing a sound system for a church and did consider these.
    I ended up getting the SR4732 which is the next step up in the line. John

Quote Originally Posted by jcrobso View Post
    The SR4725 is from the 1990 era, they are very good speakers.
    I was installing a sound system for a church and did consider these.
    I ended up getting the SR4732 which is the next step up in the line. John
    Right, but the SR-X line was after that, and I'm aware of the other larger and smaller models. I have the SR4725X, not the SR4725.

Thread Information