Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4343

Smile 4343

For anyone that wants to know the history of JBL and the stories behind the speakers you can visit my website at http://www.edstephens.com/jbl_speakers.htm.

Have a good one
    Ed
    Last edited by Robh3606; 02-26-2009 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Edited by an Admin. Lets start with a clean slate??

I like your web pages and would not depart on the basis on what was a strange turn of events.

Some people of late have a lot to say but they are piss and wind when you get right down to it.(more piss than wind..trust me)

Those 4343s are really nice.

I built a pair of 4343 around the time you bought yours.

These days a life time hardly means forever and people live longer today than they did back in 1979. I mean if you owned them for 15 years and you croaked it most people would say you had them a life time and they would be passed on or sold. Would they last another lifetime? Probably not.

So I guess that is where warranty gets awkward.

At this point we have put new surrounds on the 2121 mid cones once and reconed the woofers twice and they are due for a third. That is not bad going for a 30 year run.

Back to the point though you appear to be popularising your story by posting it.

Sooner or later it will sound like a broke record unless you get some mileage out of it which is possibly your agenda. 4343's are otherwise dime a dozen.

You would fetch quite a lot for those 4343's if they were advertised by traders in Japan. Over there they would be more interested in the 4343's than the story though.

Given they appear to be in otherwise good order it might make a good story for an online audio magazine or one the large audio publications.

About 15 years ago I wrote an article about my JBL story in the Melbourne Audio Club magazine and it found its way into Australian Hifi Magazine because the then editor Greg Borrowman picked up on the line "nothing even comes close". This was a slogan JBL dealers if not JBL used for a while and it was pretty well a fact for many years a bit like the warranty point you are making.

So stick around.

Smile

I will never sell them. I would like to hear your story very much because my brother built a pair of 1957 JBL Harkness/C40 around 1974. He said they were a nightmare to build. I think he said it took him about two years to build (all with hand tools that he rented) He is the person that turned me on to JBL in the first place. I think I will add his story to my website. I would like to build the Paragon

Ed
    Last edited by Feroce; 02-26-2009 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Paragon

Smile

How do I donate a catalog to the JBL library?

I have a 8, 1978 JBL Monitor Series catalog and the technical manual for the 5233/5234 deviding networks.

Ed
    Last edited by Feroce; 02-26-2009 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Add 5233/5234

netherland

Many of us on the forum have unique manuals and publications but there is some issue with the site's architecture that prevents adding them. Something about old software / server / etc. We have been offering for 5+ years now.

When I built my first cabinet set I decided the 4530 scoop was the only cabinet that would work. Bought a used saw, converted my dads garage and spent 3 days making router templates and figuring out how to do it.

Borrowed some cash and bought 1 router and the plywood and cut out 4 of them and after some swearing and experimenting, assembled 2. Sand and wired them and hooked them up in the driveway..nice..

Noticing that I was now broke, I took the assembled pair to a used music store to put on consignment and drove the 6 miles back home to assemble the other 2. Got home and mom said to call the store: got any more?

Well I built the other 2 in record time and they lasted almost one hour in the store.

Now I went bigtime and bought more tools and made 8 - they lasted 3 days.

That was 1979 and this summer, 30 years later in that SAME garage, I will be instructing my union carpenter apprentice nephew the fine art of plywood speaker box making so he can have a sideline later on.

And maybe, just maybe, I will attempt a pair of hartsfeilds or a paragon. Always wanted to do that....

sub

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    Quote Originally Posted by subwoof View Post
    That was 1979 and this summer, 30 years later in that SAME garage, I will be instructing my union carpenter apprentice nephew the fine art of plywood speaker box making so he can have a sideline later on.

sub

too cool sub.... (and i don't mean -par)

a gift that lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Feroce View Post
    How do I donate a catalog to the JBL library?
    Many of us on the forum have unique manuals and publications but there is some issue with the site's architecture that prevents adding them. Something about old software / server / etc. We have been offering for 5+ years now.
    And, we still don't have it resolved.

In advance of getting things sorted out, we have lately been discussing the basic database structure. While I haven't spoken to the guys about this, I wonder if we should start gathering items in preparation for including them. I recently found a great third-party source for careful, economical scanning (with OCR) - this would be a good use of Forum funds, if people don't have the means to prepare quality copy themselves. I mean it is cheap-o - my alma mater wants all our dissertations / thesis stored electronically, so I had mine done (at a couple hundred pages with color pictures) for less than $25.

Let me walk this up the hill and see what the thinking is. It would be great to gather this stuff - people come and go so quickly here...

It is being worked on. We have the FTP site back up running thanks to John Nebel and and I need a block of time to add a couple of new Forums to post the scans in. We will be back on line with this ability in short order.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    It is being worked on. We have the FTP site back up running thanks to John Nebel and and I need a block of time to add a couple of new Forums to post the scans in. We will be back on line with this ability in short order.

Rob
    excellent...

THANKS!

When I built my first cabinet set I decided the 4530 scoop was the only cabinet that would work. Bought a used saw, converted my dads garage and spent 3 days making router templates and figuring out how to do it.

Borrowed some cash and bought 1 router and the plywood and cut out 4 of them and after some swearing and experimenting, assembled 2. Sand and wired them and hooked them up in the driveway..nice..

Noticing that I was now broke, I took the assembled pair to a used music store to put on consignment and drove the 6 miles back home to assemble the other 2. Got home and mom said to call the store: got any more?

Well I built the other 2 in record time and they lasted almost one hour in the store.

Now I went bigtime and bought more tools and made 8 - they lasted 3 days.

And maybe, just maybe, I will attempt a pair of hartsfeilds or a paragon. Always wanted to do that....

sub
    You are quite the entrepreneur, you did not make them just for yourself you made money to finance something you did not say what that was. Did you quit at 12 speakers? Are you a union carpenter now? If you do the Paragon I would like to see the build of that project.

Does this look like them?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post

In advance of getting things sorted out, we have lately been discussing the basic database structure. While I haven't spoken to the guys about this, I wonder if we should start gathering items in preparation for including them. I recently found a great third-party source for careful, economical scanning (with OCR) - this would be a good use of Forum funds, if people don't have the means to prepare quality copy themselves. I mean it is cheap-o - my alma mater wants all our dissertations / thesis stored electronically, so I had mine done (at a couple hundred pages with color pictures) for less than $25.

Let me walk this up the hill and see what the thinking is. It would be great to gather this stuff - people come and go so quickly here...

Could we store them on this website server for us to look at?

Ed

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post

Rob
    What format will you be looking for? I notice that the jpg files are very hard to read, maybe a PDF? I did change a pdf to a jpg on my website because I did not want anyone to copy the original for pirate use (the original warranty card).

Ed

What format will you be looking for? I notice that the jpg files are very hard to read, maybe a PDF? I did change a pdf to a jpg on my website because I did not want anyone to copy the original for pirate use (the original warranty card).

Ed
    no flames meant or implied ...

Just an FYI - unless you dropped it to real lo-res to make it obvious its a copy, its as easy to edit a JPG as it is to edit a PDF ... neither are real easy, but with the right tools ... piece of cake!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

backlog

I have a *lot* of technotes ( the whole damn series! ) and old cutsheets that are impossible to find - I will call in a favor up the hill at cornell and see if I can get someone's dept to scan this stuff into .pdf files.

They have one mother of a pipe and I could send it to BO's .edu contact for archival.

Feroce: I made the scoops for my fledgling sound company's PA - those scoops kicked ass compared to the generic stuff that was out there. Stopped doing active PA rentals in '87 but still do engineering and custom work for the occasional installer and club.

And I didn't stop at 12 - I think 200 of just the singles went outta there. Another 100+ of the doubles and it's sister variant, the single 18 ( only 30" wide ) but most of those went into clubs. Selling cabinets allowed me to get a JBL dealership for awhile and buy all my components. And quit my (last) full time job in the summer of '84

I miss my hair though..sniff...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Could we store them on this website server for us to look at?
    That's the intent of the archive.

What format will you be looking for? I notice that the jpg files are very hard to read, maybe a PDF?
    PDF's would be the goal. They preserve detail on enlarging, and are pretty compact. Best of all, the are searchable...

Thread Information