Thread: Sub amp for W15GTI

Sub amp for W15GTI

Hi! I am doing 240l (8,5ft^3) bandbass enclosure and I need a good amp with at least 600WRMS @4 Ohm of power from it. It should contain 4th order active crossover and eq would be a good plus.

Where could I find a good one with reasonable price?

Ps. When I started my hifi "carreer" I had had my first paycheck from my first summerjob and I was going to HifiStudio 17 to buy Jbl or Infinity speakers and some amp (because my friend told me those are good brands). When I was walking down the street I started to hear some AMAZING ULTRA LOW _BASS_.
    I was wandering what on earth could produce so MAGNIFICENT sounds of euforia. Sound came bigger as we walked towards the studio (I had a friend with me), and I was more and more excited and there they were, two Jbl and one Infinity presentation car.

I told this, so you would know, that I probably won't by a nonHarman product

JBL 4645
    Hello Taputtaja63

This beauty might be what you need its affordable and it offers lots of headroom to prevent possible amplifier clipping.

Look under what is Google Product Search in your region for the lowest possible price. Here in the UK its as cheap as biscuits.

EUROPOWER EP2500
    2 x 1200 Watts Power Amplifier
    http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/EP2500.aspx

It has some basic crossover filters not sure if they are 4th order -24db, but if not the Behringer DCX2496 will offer assorted ranges of crossover filters to tailor the subs function to your needs.

Hold a second…is this for the car or the home?

Hi JBL 4645!
    It's for home usage.
    Hmm, isn't that Behringer for full bandwith speakers?
    Those low-frequensy filters doesn't sound good at all.. Especially for enclosure tuned below 30hz.

I use a Crown PSA-2XH to power my W15GTI sub contained in a 4 cu ft cabinet. It is fed off the LFE output. For a little extra "oomph", a dBA subharmonic synthesizer with bass boost can really make it "rock your world."

Those Crown's DSi and CDi-series seems pretty good, but do they lack "punch"? That seems like a well priced http://cgi.ebay.com/CROWN-CTS-2000-2000-WATT-POWER-AMPLIFIER-GUARANTEED_W0QQitemZ190284068733QQcmdZViewItemQQpt ZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item190284068733&_trksid= p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39 %3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

If u compare Crown's amps to a good powered subs amp , do they have a lot of difference in sound?

Edit: I don't have XLR-equipped pre-amp, is that a problem?

I have no idea how the PSA-2XH would compare for punch. I do know that the vintage high end stuff has a better S/N ratio and other important specs than the modern, cheaper offerings.

Besides, if you are looking to push a GTI, you need to be looking at the power level at either 12 ohms or 3 ohms. Most "home" amps are not designed to push 3 ohms, especially in a "bridged" mode, so I considered the power into the 12 ohm load.

Also, I could drive both voice coils with an identical signals @ 6 Ohms. Or maybe is should test how much of punishment that GTI can take, when voice coils are pushing in different directions

Crown DSi 2000 and Crown XTI 4000 seems to have a lowpass-filters, with a reasonble price, unlike CTS 2000, which I was considering before.

Have to invert one of them.

BX63(A) will get that at line level, but maybe want to disable the boost and highpass?

Gotta check the 6200 schematic to see what happens in bridge mode. One's inverted, but can you connect speakers (or voice coils, in this case,) separately to the outputs?

Sum to mono's gotta happen external, in any case.

[They've been sitting here waiting for me to find an amp stable to 3 Ohms; don't need that, maybe.... ]

...see what happens in bridge mode. One's inverted, but can you connect speakers (or voice coils, in this case,) separately to the outputs?
    If you have a mono signal (62x0 amps have a dual mono mode based on
    Channel A -only-) and want an inverted signal on one channel, wire that
    speaker or voicecoil backwards... bridge mode adds an op-amp and
    some added complexity in regard to gain settings. Should -essentially-
    work the same w/ matching ch A/B gain settings, but a little less
    intuitive. Is that what you're asking?

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    Should -essentially-
    work the same w/ matching ch A/B gain settings, but a little less
    intuitive. Is that what you're asking?
    Yes. In dual mono, you've got to match the gain settings of the two amps and invert the output polarity of one of them. In bridge mode with the inverting buffer presumably adding no gain, the question is whether the outputs can be connected conventionally, i.e., separately, to the two windings of a differential-drive woofer, non-inverted.

Further, if so, does that result in greater power output capacity than using bridge mode "correctly" with the two voice coils wired in series? :dont-know

I don't see how it matters, as the bridged output rating for a nominal impedance
    is twice the rating at 1/2 that load...

i.e., the 6260 amp is rated to output 300W into two 4-ohm coils whether
    or not you run them one per channel (bridge mode setting or not),
    or in series with them bridged... so the coils combined will see 600W
    total, either way.

Seems that way to me, as well.

Bridge mode used like it's s'posed to be used, the voltage doubles, so the net is the same.

So now, we look for second-order advantages in series versus direct wiring, maybe, or vice-versa.... :dont-know

That's where I was headed in the leave the extra op-amp out (turn off bridging) bit.

... also could potentially tune to reduce harmonics if coils were driven independently...
    no two voice coils are exactly the same, even if the signal is.

Back to the original poster's question, the Crown XTi 4000 will do what you have asked.

Getting the Windows HiQnet System Architect software will make it more fun to play with.

I can't speak too much for sound -quality-, but did punish a set of these while generating
    simulated industrial noise, and they kept up -quantity-wise just fine.

Don't know, if I understood much of your conversation, maybe some
    But maybe I should buy that Xti 4000 and test it's quality..
    Or is there point of gettin BCA-amplifier for a subwoofer?
    I have understood, that BCA-amps has a very good sound quality.

Thread Information