Thread: 4311b Replacement

4311b Replacement

Hello! I've been lurking for a bit, and decided to finally join - this seems like a really helpful forum. I've been contemplating my JBL dilemma for awhile and figured this would be the best place to ask.

Well, my setup is currently a pair of 4311b's that i've used almost daily for the past 10 years. I love the sound that I get from these, and i've become fairly accustomed to them after all this time. I will soon be moving to a place where I cannot bring these particular speakers (space has nothing to do with it, they simply don't fully "belong" to me haha). Therefore I have been pondering what a suitable replacement would be. I am open to any readily available model, and since im on a students budget the cheaper the better. Preferably something that is of equal sound quality or better. I've looked online for another pair of 4311b's but they seem to be fairly illusive and the pairs I have found are usually well beaten. I have no qualms whether its a new or used model really.

Other info: I drive these with a Hitachi HMA-6500 (thoughts on this too?) i've been happy with it. I understand I don't do actual "studio work" but the sound these put out I have really fallen in love with. The genres of music I listen to are vast, but mostly Rock (progressive / melodic) and at usually medium sound levels - its rare I push these things as hard as im sure they can handle.

Any help would be much appreciated! I'm sure i'll enjoy it here. Thanks in advance.

Assuming you're here because you want to stay with JBL, I can't think of a better speaker you can possibly buy on a student budget than a pair of L5's, or L7's if you have the room. Most 3-way bookshelf models similar to your 4311B's will be rather expensive and not sound anywhere near as fine as the two 4-way L-series towers. Price-wise, expect to pay anywhere from $200 to $500 but that's often less what you'd be paying for 4412 or 4412As, or L112s, or 4313B's in similar condition, all of which are quite a step up from your 4311B's.

I'm sure there will be other opinions.

Hm, L5 - L7s eh? I had a quick check online and they look like great speakers! I just have trouble finding any for sale haha. Any other opinions?

Also, I have a pair of Infinity Entra Ones, but they aren't JBL of course - any idea on their worth? I got them as a gift, and they always sounded muddled in the lower end to me (maybe its placement...). Thanks again.

Thread Information