Thread: Problem with BARON C38

Problem with BARON C38

Hi to everybody, it's a pleasure to join this forum, I found a lots of good suggetions.
    I'm writing from Italy and so, first of all, I apologize for my bad english.
    I restored a pair of JBL BARON C38 030 (D130, 075 N2400) but I have a problem with high frequencies, they sound a little padded, it's normal?
    I've to say that I am a beginner from a technical point of view, I'm just a musician, so I use only my ears to check if something sound bad.
    Maybe the problem is with crossover 'cause are the only things that I did not check (the potentiometers aren't original).
    I tried to turn them in all of their positions and I noticed that the soud changes, but Is not clear at all.
    I hope that you understand what I wrote.
    I hope that someone helps.
    Thank you very very much
    Ciao Giacomo
    My stereo system is:
    MARANTZ 1200
    MARANTZ 120 Receiver
    MARANTZ 5025 Tape Deck

JBL Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerorso View Post
    Hi to everybody, it's a pleasure to join this forum, I found a lots of good suggetions.
    I'm writing from Italy and so, first of all, I apologize for my bad english.
    I restored a pair of JBL BARON C38 030 (D130, 075 N2400) but I have a problem with high frequencies, they sound a little padded, it's normal?
    I've to say that I am a beginner from a technical point of view, I'm just a musician, so I use only my ears to check if something sound bad.
    Maybe the problem is with crossover 'cause are the only things that I did not check (the potentiometers aren't original).
    I tried to turn them in all of their positions and I noticed that the soud changes, but Is not clear at all.
    I hope that you understand what I wrote.
    I hope that someone helps.
    Thank you very very much
    Ciao Giacomo
    My stereo system is:
    MARANTZ 1200
    MARANTZ 120 Receiver
    MARANTZ 5025 Tape Deck
    Welcome to the forum. You may want to have your 075's checked. I had the same problem in my Metregon. The 075's were working, but sounded very flat. I pulled both 075's and put a different set in and they sounded fine. The diaphragms in your tweeters may be original and can deteriorate over time.

Good luck!

I suppose, one possible cause may be old crossover components (e.g., capacitors) that need to be replaced.

I'm currently re-building a set of 075 bullet nose tweeters for a system; the rebuild includes re-charging the magnets and replacing the diaphragms.

Thank you both.
    I use new diaphgrams bought from U.S.A.. I hope that someone here in Italy can re-charges the magnets.
    I'll try to use another crossover to check if the problem depends on it (I hope so..., it will be easier)

Thread Information