Thread: Grille mesh behind grille fabric. What to use?

jbl

Grille mesh behind grille fabric. What to use?

I'm using a metal mesh behind the grille fabric of my 4507 cabinet grills. Would a mesh material such as that used in the L200 be a better choice? The metal doesn't vibrate. I've been using it for the past 19 years with no bad effects, but I would like to change it.
    My concern is that if someone hits the grille, the metal would damage the woofer.

Quote Originally Posted by jbl View Post
    My concern is that if someone hits the grille, the metal would damage the woofer.
    Where are these being used?

Johnaec had some pretty fancy metal grills on his New Stage Monitors Finished thread. Although they were OEM parts from JBL...

Quote Originally Posted by johnaec View Post
    Yep it's a standard JRX grille.
    Anyone know a source for this type of material?
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

jbl
    Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    Where are these being used?
    Home use. At times kids run around the house. That's why I installed the metal mesh. Just in case.

I would rather use the type of mesh JBL used behind the foam. Something like the L100 & L200.
    Either type isn't much protection against a kid running into it, but it's something.

Any ideas?

Home use. At times kids run around the house. That's why I installed the metal mesh. Just in case.

I would rather use the type of mesh JBL used behind the foam. Something like the L100 & L200.
    Either type isn't much protection against a kid running into it, but it's something.

Any ideas?
    How about some of these Bar grill protectors ... I got one from Fred Sanford
    to protect the 15 in my B380 sub, can't find a pic x of mine but here's a picture
    from one of Zilch's threads showing them off ...
    I think they'd save your woofs from even a kid running full tilt into them!

Check Guitar Center or one of those kinda places ...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

jbl
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    How about some of these Bar grill protectors ... I got one from Fred Sanford
    to protect the 15 in my B380 sub, can't find a pic x of mine but here's a picture
    from one of Zilch's threads showing them off ...
    I think they'd save your woofs from even a kid running full tilt into them!

Check Guitar Center or one of those kinda places ...
    I have them. They push out the grill fabric. Looks bad.
    It was a pain to drill into the 4507 cabinet. I plugged the holes with wood filler, the painted over the fill.

jbl
    Heather,
    Putting those grill protectors back may not be so bad an idea. I'll measure the protrusion they produce and adjust the grill to eliminate any buldge.

Heather,
    Putting those grill protectors back on may not be so bad an idea. I'll measure the protrusion they produce and adjust the grill to eliminate any bulge.
    Upstairs I have a pair of L200s with what amounts to windowscreen behind the grill - that would barely stop a kitten, certainy not a larger kiddo at full roar ...!

Get serious grillguards!
    If you think about the cost of replacement for your woofers, plus the fact that they are just getting rarer ... !
    Also, with kids, maybe the budget wouldn't allow them to be replaced in kind! (the woofers, not the kiddos!)
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Thread Information