Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The continuing saga of the charge coupled network

1 more question!

What about bypassing the bigger cap, with a smaller cap of the teflon type? Is it neccesary? Would there be any benefit? ? Would it be an insignicant improvement? Or would it not be good to do?

Please advise!

Oh dang, it looks as though I asked MORE than 1 question!

scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    What about bypassing the bigger cap, with a smaller cap of the teflon type? Is it neccesary? Would there be any benefit? ? Would it be an insignicant improvement? Or would it not be good to do?

Please advise!

Hi Scott,

Don't know about the teflon part, but some of JBL Flagship speakers with CC crossovers have some bypassed, others, not. There is usage of bypass caps in both high and low sections so it may depend on specific application or results of listening tests.

See these:

http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Te...800SE%20ts.pdf

http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Te...S5800%20ts.pdf

http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Te...66000%20ts.pdf

If its good enough for these, I think I'd try it.

Regards,

Bart
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

I think the S9800SE uses biased Solen caps without bypass, whereas the original S9800 used cheaper biased caps with bypass.

I'm definitely using Solen caps, Greg Timbers likes it, 4313B likes it, pretty much everyone says this is the way to go, so, this is the way Im going to go.

Im investigating all possibilities.
    scottyj

Please advise!

If you use all polypropylene caps in a C-C XO, bypass caps aren't needed, as the C-C caps will do the job.

Hi all,

The addition of bypass caps to any crossover is a good idea, especially with charge coupled designs. The larger the capacitor value, the higher inductance figure that it has. Putting a small value bypass capacitor in parallel with all the larger capacitors will nearly cancel the inductance of them.

Quote Originally Posted by jblsound View Post
    If you use all polypropylene caps in a C-C XO, bypass caps aren't needed, as the C-C caps will do the job.
    Yes, I see what your saying, BUT, the larger 82 to 100uf Solens are metalised polypropylene, and the smaller values are available as polypropylene film/tin foil, or aluminum foil, or teflon film, and tin or aluminum foil.

I ask questions, because I see there are differences, and the bigger caps are only available as metalised film.

BTW, this isnt a XO in my system, I am actively XO, but, these are additional inline caps that will be CC for the sonic advantages.

But, I think I'm just gonna go with the recommended caps, IF Greg Timbers likes it, I should like it, too!

And, I was also looking at the Mundorf caps, BOY those little critter caps get PRICEY!

To be very honest, though, I am fully aware of just HOW different various caps, same value but different materials can sound. So, I am garnering all the information I can get, DO IT RIGHT THE 1ST TIME, AND ONLY DO IT ONCE!

As I said, GT, 4313B, Allan, jblsound, and everyone else says this is good, so, Im jumping on the same bandwagon.

Solen it is!

My new Marchand XO,vers will have Burson Discreet Op amps, and Discreet Voltage regulators, Takman resistors, a couple of Riken ohm Carbon compostion resistors in key points for that certain flavor they have, and I have to select lytic and film caps for this project, remains undecided at this point.

Im taking my room to another level,
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by Allanvh5150 View Post
    Hi all,

The addition of bypass caps to any crossover is a good idea, especially with charge coupled designs. The larger the capacitor value, the higher inductance figure that it has. Putting a small value bypass capacitor in parallel with all the larger capacitors will nearly cancel the inductance of them.
    AS I understand it, polypropylene by-pass caps are for making a normal XO more dynamic. In a C-C network, that has all Polypropylene caps, using by-pass caps is not required.
    And I seem to remember GT saying that in a previous post.

AS I understand it, polypropylene by-pass caps are for making a normal XO more dynamic. In a C-C network, that has all Polypropylene caps, using by-pass caps is not required.
    And I seem to remember GT saying that in a previous post.
    Taking it from a purely electronic point of view, bypassing makes sense. Unless you know a reason why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott
    - Broadly speaking, it has been my experience that bypass caps simply don't work within dc biased networks .
    - They won't give you the expected results .

<> cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    - Broadly speaking, it has been my experience that bypass caps simply don't work within dc biased networks .

<> cheers
    Thanks Earl. I'm going to keep it simple, order the 100uf 400v Solen polyprops, from PE as 4313B suggested in an earlier post. IF it works for you guys, it works for me, too!

On a side note, I happened to glance thru the Duelund capacitors listed at Parts Connexion, H__Y S__T, up to $3500 each for a single film cap!!!!!

Who buys this stuff?

Seriously, we are ALL in the wrong business. Lets make capacitors.

:dont-know
    scottyj

Thanks Earl. I'm going to keep it simple, order the 100uf 400v Solen polyprops, from PE as 4313B suggested in an earlier post. IF it works for you guys, it works for me, too!

On a side note, I happened to glance thru the Duelund capacitors listed at Parts Connexion, H__Y S__T, up to $3500 each for a single film cap!!!!!

Who buys this stuff?

Seriously, we are ALL in the wrong business. Lets make capacitors.

:dont-know
    I'm sure some audiophiles might think they're worth it. But those guys also think $500 AC power cords, $10/ft speaker wire is worth it.

Obsolete
    I'm sure some audiophiles might think they're worth it. But those guys also think $500 AC power cords, $10/ft speaker wire is worth it.
    And all the while they're still stuck with listening to recorded media.

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post

<> cheers
    That's exactly the point I was making to Allanvh5150. Just the fact that all the caps in the circuit are polypropylene would serve no benefit to add by-pass caps.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    And all the while they're still stuck with listening to recorded media.
    Yes, BUT, The power cords for $500ea are like having the performers come to your living room, they say!

And a $500 power cord, AND some extasy pills, I wouldn't be surprised if one actually thought they did!

scottyj

Thread Information