Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Possible Solutions

Possible Solutions

I've come up with a couple possible solutions for the depression in the midrange that has been causing a depression in the listener.

The obvious answer is to change the cabinets. I happened apon some 43** style cabinets listed as "JBL "bass cabinets". These have S7 loads and the woofers appear to have been reconed recently with 2235-style cones.

But there was a caveat (as always). If I wanted these I also had to take the pair of 4430s. And if I wanted those, I also had to take the pair of 4425s. But if I wanted those, I also had to take a Tascam M-35 mixer.

Both the 4430s and 4425s need new foams and none of the cabinets are perfect.

If it is of interest to anyone, the mixer will go up for sale/or trade (including a trade of labor to refurbish cabinets)? I've not decided what to do with the other stuff. But some may end up here.

They're out there if you keep your eyes peeled.

Quote Originally Posted by toddalin View Post
    I've come up with a couple possible solutions for the depression in the midrange that has been causing a depression in the listener.
    So, take one of your woofers... pop it into each of these cabs and repeat the measurements you have already made and compare them... don't worry about cabinet tuning, it will have no effect in region of concern.

These have S7 loads and the woofers appear to have been reconed recently with 2235-style cones.
    Why do you think they were reconed with 2235H cones instead of 2215 kits?

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    So, take one of your woofers... pop it into each of these cabs and repeat the measurements you have already made and compare them...

Why do you think they were reconed with 2235H cones instead of 2215 kits?

Widget
    That is the intent.

I don't. I haven't opened them. But from the exterior, the cones look exactly like the 2235-recones I just had done. That's all.

That is the intent.
    So do it already and get back to us... it takes longer to take and post photos than it would to do a quick measurement and possibly discover what has been bothering you all these many months!

I don't. I haven't opened them. But from the exterior, the cones look exactly like the 2235-recones I just had done. That's all.
    I couldn't tell the difference from the cone side... They may have a different number of ribs or a different foam profile, but if so, they are pretty damned similar. That said, a 2235 cone with its over hung coil would be a real "F" up in an LE15A/2215 frame.

Widget

Obsolete
    The obvious answer is to change the cabinets.
    I probably would have run the groundplane measurement like Greg suggested you do first, but whatever, those 4430's are going to slaughter anything you're going to be able to hack together so you did good picking them up.

You should be able to sell all your exponentials and compression drivers to people who want to build some kind of 4344/4345 type systems.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Those 4430's are going to slaughter anything you're going to be able to hack together so you did good picking them up.
    I knew that position was coming in short order; it's a fact. Put aside any hangups and just delve into them. At some point it's really worth just taking some good advice and going with it.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    I probably would have run the groundplane measurement like Greg suggested you do first
    Probably still will. I don't do this stuff when the wife is home.

Evening, Todd,

Great scores, my Friend! Well done, indeed! I look forward to hearing how it all turns out for you, and what you think after a bit more experimentation. Thanks for sharing your wonderful scores with us, and congrats, once again! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

I don't get it. Does the rest of LA just go to sleep for a week when someone posts JBL monitors on Craig's List?

Studio Sound System - $1200 (Orange, CA)

Reply to: [email protected] [?]
    Date: 2008-11-11, 12:21PM PST

Tascam M-35 Mixer 8 Chnl, 2JBL StudioMonitors Mdl 4425, 2 Mid&Highs JBL StudioMonitors Mdl 4430, 2JBL Bass Botms, all $1,200.00 CASH PHONE: 714 788-4858

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I don't get it. Does the rest of LA just go to sleep for a week when someone posts JBL monitors on Craig's List?
    Most other people don't want to bother with that old sh-t I guess. I hesitated a couple weeks before I picked it up.

Most other people don't want to bother with that old sh-t I guess. I hesitated a couple weeks before I picked it up.
    Unless you really have a passion for that old shi#, I'd assume no one wants to drop $1200 right about now ...

And what the heck, you now have a semi-sheathed 4502 cabinet (only has top and bottom overhangs) to play with,
    instead of those funky L200 cabinets with the extended sides and top+bottom overhangs thats given you all this grief!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Obsolete
    Things must be pretty dire out there in L.A. if that old sh-t was around for a couple weeks without anyone buying it all.

I hesitated a couple weeks before I picked it up.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Again, I see these kinds of things on a regular basis. Comes with the territory. I really don't have the space to store it (and that certainly doesn't make the wife happy), nor do I want to deal with the Bay (though I would) and part it out to make any real coin.

If I feel it may be wanted here and I can make a little for my time/gas/trouble/backache, and it keeps this stuff in service, that good enough. Also realize that (as was this case) it is often not possible to test the stuff to see if it works. (Still haven't.)

Like I've said, the intent was to obtain the 43** cabinets for testing and I really didn't want it all, but it was an all or nothing deal. Anyway, it gives me the oppurtunity to listen to some 4430s as I can simply drop in my 2235 equivelent woofers, (or see what woofers the 43** has in-store) without even having to deal with a refoam job.

Again, I see these kinds of things on a regular basis. Comes with the territory.
    Kalifornia sucks!

Thread Information