Thread: 250 questions

250 questions

no not asking 250 questions, but questions about 250 speakers.

I have done a bit of searching round the forum, but didnt find my answers.

Already think that I have the "best system FOR ME", but will never know until my ultimate JBL is A/B'ed to them. That is the 250/250ti. series.

I have seen 250 (not TI) in nice condition for under 1K$ and most 250ti's at about 2K$... Is the "TI" version worth that much more ?? Is there anything particular to these models to look out for ? (besides the normal stuff)

Wud like to find a pair in teak, within a days driving distance of Portland , that I can give a try and if not my thang, be able to get back out w/o losing money.

Is there anyone in Oregon/Southern Washington who wud like to demo their set ?

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Is the "TI" version worth that much more ??
    I remember back when the 250Ti replaced the L250 and I asked the same question. The designer of both systems said "No comparison, the 250Ti is night and day better." (He has 250Ti's in his office and not L250's)

Soon after that conversation I was able to listen to them side by side and I thought the 250Ti was definitely an improvement. If I remember correctly the upgrade kits were somewhere around $640 per system. Or maybe it was $640 for a pair.

Talking People pay a thousand for

Preamps
    CD Players etc.
    They weigh bout 20 lbs and hide in a rack

Then you get 300lbs of 250ti/250 sculptures and people go into flea market mode. Like their chop meat or something .

I value them at $2k-$3k

They are a sight to behold

I gots mine
    "My wife said it was ok"

i have set of 250's and they sound great. i have never heard the ti's. if you bought some, i dont think you would be disappointed. and they are well worth the 1,500-3000 asking price.

regards

I've got both and haven't had a chance to compare them side by side.

I'd say hold out for the 250Ti's unless L250's come up noticeably cheaper.

Either way, they both rock but the 250Ti is definitely "sweeter" sounding. Different mid and tweeter, slightly different crossover, internal wiring, extra bracing, different cabinet material, better grille fixing, etc. There's a thread on here somewhere that I posted some photos of the differences.

The L250 is lighter than the 250Ti...you can tell that straight away when moving them around.

thanx Andy & G ...those are the type of answers I'm looking for.

I'm not into cables but I was shocked at the difference in the wire used in the 250Ti and the L250.

Probably makes no difference but it shows how there are numerous little tweaks in there (apart from the massive difference in the tweeter and maybe smaller difference in the mid).

I started with the L250 and slowly upgraded them to (and then past) 250ti specs. Like with many things in life, you reach a point of diminishing returns at some point relative to the dollars invested. I got my 250's around $1k if I recall correctly, and for that price if you can still find a set - jump on them. What you'll find out eventualy (faster if you get to hear a pair of Ti's while you still own the base L250) is that the better mid, tweeter and crossover really do make quite a difference.
    I never warmed up to the paper LE5 mid and perhaps mine were just old and tired. But that first "mod" - swapping in a 104h - told me I was on a path that wouldn't end until I had them up to 250Ti specs. That's the beauty of this - either way you win. You'll have the beautiful L250's to listen to and look at while you decide if it's worth the expense of the upgrade. You may decide it's not worth it and that you like them just the way they are.

What I can also tell you is that if you can find a decent pair of 240Ti's in the $500-750 range JUMP on them. They do almost everything the 250Ti does for about 1/2 the money. You lose a bit of speed and impact in the lower mids (think drums) but you'd have to A/B them side by side to really hear it.

jblnut

Quote Originally Posted by jblnut View Post
    What I can also tell you is that if you can find a decent pair of 240Ti's in the $500-750 range JUMP on them. They do almost everything the 250Ti does for about 1/2 the money. You lose a bit of speed and impact in the lower mids (think drums) but you'd have to A/B them side by side to really hear it.
    That was my thought, but did you have to tell EVERYONE??

Quote Originally Posted by jblnut View Post

jblnut
    I think the way the 250Ti's do drums (snare and toms) is worth the price of ownership. The 14" and 8" work wonders on percussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyoz View Post
    The L250 is lighter than the 250Ti...you can tell that straight away when moving them around.
    The spec sheets show them both at exactly the same 150 lbs. shipping weight.

Strange...I just went over and tried lifting one of each. The 250Ti is definitely heavier. It may be just another 5kg though!

I never heard the L250's but I do own a pair of the original 250Ti's.
    Based on what I've read the Ti version is a more refined speaker but I tend to think I would be very happy with a set of the L250's. This is based on my comparisons to other JBL's like the L96 and L150A that use mids and tweeters that were similiar to what the L250 used. The paper cone midrange and older 044 tweeter in my L96's may not be as transparent as the midrange and tweeter in the 250Ti but they are quite good as well.
    I guess what I'm saying is that I would not pass up the 250's in hopes of finding the Ti version. both are actually pretty tough to find.
    Mike

Another Q ?

My bluebook shows L250 , L250C & L250wx

L250 is walnut or black
    L250C is black lacquer, or Brazilian rosewood, or Macassar (their spelling) ebony , or white oak with the ebony or rosewood at $1000 more list price..

does anyone know if they are , in fact, labeled "L-250C" ??

B460 has similar options as B-460C, as did the L-150C
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Thread Information