Thread: JBL speakers sold in China

JBL speakers sold in China

I live in Shenzhen in the South of China. As in most chinese cities, there is a place down town that regroups all the Hi-Fi shops. Maybe around 20 shops in the same building.
    There are also two second hand shops and last WE they both had in stock several JBL speakers. As I don't speak much chinese, I don't know where they came from, but I guess they may have been imported.
    I liked the JBL L222 Disco. The asking price was 25000 CNY, which corresponds to 3660 USD. Is that a good deal? What should I check about them?

Quote Originally Posted by ParisH View Post
    I liked the JBL L222 Disco. The asking price was 25000 CNY, which corresponds to 3660 USD. Is that a good deal? What should I check about them?
    Good deal for the seller, maybe.

Here's a pair of L220s, essentially the same system with minor mods, with a buy-it-now of $2000 and no action for the past ten days: http://ebayitem.com/250322180461

Of course availability in China will influence the price, but they seem to not bring even a third of your dealer's asking price here in the USA, as you can see in this recent sale at auction for a nice pair of L222s ($1,122.99 for posterity): http://ebayitem.com/170275521123

I've traveled on business to Asia 34 times in the last 6 years and I pity you for having to live there. You should move to the west immediately.

The price you have been quoted is extremely high.

Thanks for your advice. I can now be conforted in the decision not to buy them.
    The price offered may have been influenced by my western face, or there may be a real market here in China for overpriced vintage speakers.
    Next time I go to the Hi-Fi building, I'll try to find-out where they came from. I would not be surprised if they were recently imported from the US.

Quote Originally Posted by ParisH View Post
    The price offered may have been influenced by my western face, or there may be a real market here in China for overpriced vintage speakers.
    Next time I go to the Hi-Fi building, I'll try to find-out where they came from. I would not be surprised if they were recently imported from the US.
    Could be your face, but aren't there many newly-minted millionaires in China longing for Western goods? There are even some here who may have participated in sending those overseas!

Thread Information