Thread: 4430 as guitar speakers?

4430 as guitar speakers?

Hi,

Is it possible to use a single 4430 as a guitar speaker? I am thinking of getting a guitar head unit and connecting it to the 4430. I noticed most guitar speaker cabs are full range drivers, usually 12 inch.

Thanks

RIP 2009
    You can certainly do anything you want to do, but if you're like most guitar players and like getting a little "edge" on your guitar sound, you certainly aren't going to get that out of a 4430 unless you drive it to ear-splitting volume, and I would be totally concerned about damaging the 4430, regardless of volume level.

Do yourself a favor and just pick up a little 12" cabinet. If you want JBL capabilities of high efficiency/low distortion, throw in a D/E/F/K 120 12" speaker - they're all over eBay for $100 - $150. Or if you want a "crunchier" sound, look for a Celestion speaker.

I actually have a spare pair of empty little JBL 12" commercial enclosures, but I want to sell them together.

If you do decide to try the 4430, just be careful - it wouldn't take much to blow the HF driver with too strong a guitar signal...

John

The 4430 horn flare will get kicked to pieces during a rockin' solo.

You can do it but the results will be disappointing.

I tried that years ago and discovered that speakers designed
    to "reproduce" music don't do as well as those designed to "produce"
    music.

Another big flop was trying to use JBL monitors as p.a. mains

I agree!

Quote Originally Posted by johnaec View Post
    You can certainly do anything you want to do, but if you're like most guitar players and like getting a little "edge" on your guitar sound, you certainly aren't going to get that out of a 4430 unless you drive it to ear-splitting volume, and I would be totally concerned about damaging the 4430, regardless of volume level.

Do yourself a favor and just pick up a little 12" cabinet. If you want JBL capabilities of high efficiency/low distortion, throw in a D/E/F/K 120 12" speaker - they're all over eBay for $100 - $150. Or if you want a "crunchier" sound, look for a Celestion speaker.

I actually have a spare pair of empty little JBL 12" commercial enclosures, but I want to sell them together.

If you do decide to try the 4430, just be careful - it wouldn't take much to blow the HF driver with too strong a guitar signal...

John
    D/E/F/K 120 12" would be a much better idea for guitar! John

Quote Originally Posted by ngccglp View Post
    Hi,

Is it possible to use a single 4430 as a guitar speaker? I am thinking of getting a guitar head unit and connecting it to the 4430. I noticed most guitar speaker cabs are full range drivers, usually 12 inch.

Thanks
    hi, replace 2235 for E140 and retune the ports

If you wanted to trade it for a 4628B with a road case, we could do it.

The 4628B has an E145, a 2118H, and a 2404 with a 3-way crossover. It was designed for full range keyboard/synthesizer and goes 35 Hz to 21.5kHz. This is a 4 cubic foot cabinet so is smaller than the 4430.

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/cabaret_series2.pdf

Guitar sounds like bum when you try to produce sound over about 7Khz. Just get a full range EVM12 or an E120 if you like it clean or a couple of celestion vintage 30's. The 4430 will likely rip your head of at first and then you will kill it.

Quote Originally Posted by ngccglp View Post
    Hi,

Thanks
    My answer will be a little different from all the above answers (which are all great, BTW). My answer is simple; it depends.

It depends on the kinda music you play, and how loud you play it. If you're talking about blues and rock, probably not a great idea, unless you use a distortion pedal and keep the volume low. Jazz guitar is less of a problem if you like clean.

Thread Information