Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where do you buy JBL?

Where do you buy JBL?

Do any of the big national chains still sell JBL? It seems to be almost impossible now days to find a store that sells any JBL stuff, apart from the odd inexpensive bookshelf speaker, or computer/Ipod doodad. Years ago, when I bought my L60Ts, I remember sitting in a listening room at the store, surrounded by the entire JBL line, from the most inexpensive to ones costing multiple-thousands of dollars. Not anymore, it seems.

I've written to JBL, asking them where I can find a retailer, and got no response. Maybe with the Home Theatre movement, quality loudspeakers (versus simply LOUD speakers), the days of listening rooms are over. "Visions" (a Canadian chain) sells some JBL, but only the basic Home Theatre stuff. Best Buy stopped selling them here a while back.

I'd really like to see/listen to the JBL lineup in a quality, controlled environment, instead of the "Best Buy" type of atmosphere.

Good Question!

For whatever reason, it has become increasingly difficult to purchase JBL speakers, from what I can see. For example, I am interested in the Project Array series speakers, and ran a search on the JBL consumer website's Dealer Locator. The closest dealer to me is Nebraska Furniture Mart (!? ) in Omaha, Nebraska, and I live in a suburb of Chicago. A total of four dealers are listed, the others in New York, New Jersey, and Arizona, which is actually an improvement from what was listed about six months ago.

It is apparently possible to obtain them through the Synthesis dealer for your region, but I've read a few posts on this forum that those dealers are only interested in sales of large HT systems.

When I searched simply on bookshelf and floor standing speakers, there was one dealer in Chicago, the only one listed for the state of Illinois.

I realize the days of the Pacific Stereo's are over, and there are online dealers for some models, but the difficulty in even finding these products is frustrating. JBL suggests visiting the Harman online store, but they only have certain models, and although they do have the Project Array subwoofer (remanufactured), that is it for the Array series. You can still get TiK, Performance, and even SVA series speakers there, but certainly not the full lines. To hear them in a setting as you described... good luck!

From what I have seen on this forum, the best place to buy JBLs is either Japan or Europe. There are product lines marketed there that are not available in the US and I assume Canada as well. So if those at JBL are wondering why many forum members are "stuck in the past" rebuilding the classic JBL models or DIY'ing with pro parts, all of the above is a big part of the reason. I am not saying any of this cynically, but with much regret

Hey, Coherent_guy,

Your mention of Pacific Stereo really brought back the memories for me! I used to love to go in there and listen to the JBL's that they used to stock, lusting for them, and planning, scheming, and dreaming of the day when I could afford to own a pair!!!

Later, I worked for Schaak Electronics, in Minneapolis, selling stereo system components and speakers, and it was Schaak that completely bought-out Pacific Stereo when that chain went under. Unfortunately, Schaak had DLK speakers as their "house brand", and only carried the J series JBL stuff, which was vinyl-wrapped junk, as far as I was concerned.

Did I FINALLY get to own a real pair of wonderful JBL's for myself? Yep, just recently, when we got our beloved L300's!!! And, since I fell in with all of the folks at LH, I have bought more JBL stuff, including a pair of L19's, and a wonderful pair of 4411's, plus lots of other miscellaneous JBL drivers, horns, and other stuff!! So, I guess you could say that, without a place like Pacific Stereo where I can go and listen to JBL systems, I have turned to buying such things, used, from other JBL Lovers!! So far, it's been a grand journey, but I do very much miss and yearn for the old days, when a quick trip to Pacific Stereo, or any of the other fine stereo stores of that time, would allow me to enjoy and compare myriad JBL systems!!! Sigh...... Those were, indeed, "The Days"!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

I bought my L60Ts from A&B Sound, a local chain very similar to Pacific Stereo. They expanded into other provinces, then fell on hard times. They were ultimately purchased by Best Buy/Future Shop, then vanished without announcement. In the mid-1980s, several of their stores had large, very well equipped sound rooms, packed with speakers from several manufacturers, including JBL. One could take familiar CDs (this was at the beginning of CDs), and listen to the same songs over many different speakers. That is how to choose a set of speakers, not in a warehouse atmosphere, competing with the rap music coming from the car stereo install bay, and intermittent PA announcements. I guess I'm not alone in my frustration; if you are listening, JBL, many of us consumers out here have the money, and definitely have the interest. If you make it easier (or even possible) to buy your wares, we just might do so!

Check these below. Personnally, I would just go with the professional drivers and install them into your own custom made cabinents.

http://www.performanceaudio.com/cgi/...0&submit=Go%21

http://www.performanceaudio.com/cgi/...0&submit=Go%21

Quote Originally Posted by wu6fiend View Post
    Do any of the big national chains still sell JBL?
    A better question... are there any big national chains of audio stores left? The answer is no. Best Buy isn't an audio store, Circuit City wasn't really any better and is not long for this world and there are no other national chains that feature audio anyway.

For JBL your best bet is the Synthesis dealer route. Some do have showrooms and will be willing to give you a demo...

Widget

You can still get some of the raw components from Parts Express. They have 2426s drivers and 22?? woofers. They even have some of the consumer grade crossovers.

Synthesis

I'd try the Synthesis dealer rout also. That’s how I got my LSR's. They were more than happy to order them for me and beat the best price I found by several hundred dollars.

Allen

for us it was "Fred's Sound of Music" ....in the 70's I'd go and oogle the L100's that I knew would never be "in the budget" .... still have the JBL , Altec and Maxel demo LP's that they gave out..

We also had Jafco, a big box catalog store, but they did have a seperate stereo store with JBL, MacIntosh, Revox ...etc really miss them
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

I was in the Manhattan Beach, CA Frys, and they had the JBL ES Series. They also had some leftover Venues and some Control Series gear.

The ES looked very nice, much better than Venue or Northridge models from the past. They sounded better, too. Dollar for dollar, I'd prefer them over the Studio L Series.
    Out.

Had a spare couple of minutes, and wandered through the "speaker section" at Best Buy. And found a few sets of JBL speakers too, on a warehouse shelf, without any display advertising etc. The ES80BKs caught my eye. About $650 a pair. The grill on one was broken, and I could see why: it was so thin, that you would have to be extremely careful taking it off, or else it would snap in half (this one had). Most of the cabinet was grey plastic, it had odd silver plastic "feet" sticking out the sides, and overall was unappealing asthetically. A comparable pair of Klipsch speakers was sitting next to it on the shelf. The Klipsch seemed better quality construction, and (in my brief comparison) sounded better too.

I have the Northridge ES80s, which seem better quality, and are a few years old.

I can remember when JBL speakers, in addition to sounding superior to any competitor, were beautiful pieces of "furniture" as well. Not anymore it seems.

Greetings,

If you want furniture grade JBL cabinets, look to the past, for the most part. Our L300's are simply lovely, and even our new 4411's are very nice, too. Well done, in the old JBL tradition of outstanding cabinet work!! For the money, I think "the past" is where it's at, for JBL. Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to have a brand new pair of Everest, or other similar JBL's! But, I certainly can't afford them, and don't know too many folks that can! For what it's worth.... Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

JBL 4645
    There used to be hi-fi store at Christchurch that stocked JBL the store closed down during the mid to late 1990’s. I remember seeing huge JBL 250Ti this was around late 1988. I also remember seeing smaller bookshelf models.

As for a dedicated dealer or authorized JBL supplier nope the few that are around the area only seem to deal with Kef, B&W, not sure of the other brands?

Movement Audio Winton high street Bournemouth
    Movement Audio Parkstone Poole
    Seven Oakes Hi-Fi Poole
    Sutton Hi-Fi Westover Road Bournemouth

Can’t thing of anything else that is nearer?

I’ll just browse the internet find the best lowest deal on Google Product search and then pick up the phone. Stuff the Hi-Fi stores in this area they change far too much, talk about being robed blind.

I have a lot of new JBL Professional components installed in custom cabinets and installed in older heritage cabs from prior decades.

Personnaly, I would stay miles away from the smaller stuff they are currently selling new. There is just nothing god to say about these.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mark View Post
    Greetings,

If you want furniture grade JBL cabinets, look to the past, for the most part. Our L300's are simply lovely, and even our new 4411's are very nice, too. Well done, in the old JBL tradition of outstanding cabinet work!! For the money, I think "the past" is where it's at, for JBL.
    Doc
    Doc

I love great woodwork like many here ,,I think the L250/250ti may have been near the pinnacle (cant top a Paragon) ...the huge expanse of teak, with solids on the edges & corners (there are NO sharp edges or corners..by design) and the pod for the 044ti almost get into the "art" category.. I have spent many years replacing plastic/vinyl around my house...I use beautiful woods whenever possible .... and have a thing about "black ash vinyl" ....looks like remnants of a house fire to me .... we do have other threads on this topic in the past.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Thread Information