Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D130 for guitar

D130 for guitar

Hi.

I have a friend who considers building a diy guitar combo. So the basic question: Is the D130 the ultimate guitar speaker?

He likes the sound a bit fat. Think Gibson Les Paul. He is no personal fan of the Fender Strat.

If not, sugestions are appreciated.

-Tim
    2213 + 2435HPL w/aquaplas + H9800 (Matsj edition)

Don't know about ultimate but Harvey Gerst on this forum, who is credited with designing the D130F and other F-series speakers for the Fender amps at the time, says the D123 is his favorite guitar speaker.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Gerst View Post
    But, why do I like the D123 for guitar?

It's one of the smoothest speakers JBL ever made, no ear fatigue. It has a surprising amount of bass because of its cone excursion. A pair of D123's should work well with a 50 watt amp.

As far as my tastes in guitar playing, my first teacher was Barney Kessel, but my influences range from Albert King and Brownie McGee to Merle Travis to Jimi Hendrix. I've played blues, country, folk, jazz, and rock for most of my life.

I'll check out the D123 then.

From what Harvey wrote it may seem that the D123 offers a very clean sound. My friend is more in the heavyrock genre.

Thanks for the tip. I'll check around.

-Tim

Quote Originally Posted by timc View Post
    I'll check out the D123 then.

From what Harvey wrote it may seem that the D123 offers a very clean sound. My friend is more in the heavyrock genre.
    Well then, dont bother with JBLs if he's relying on the speakers to color his sound. Don't they make effects for that?

Or save some money and just use some cheap Pyle's like Derek Trucks.

For heavy rock, you might wanna use a Marshall 1960 bottom with 4x12 Celestion Greenback speakers. That's pretty standard these days.

For heavy rock, you might wanna use a Marshall 1960 bottom with 4x12 Celestion Greenback speakers. That's pretty standard these days.

Thanks for the feedback Harvey. We have actually looked at the greenbacks. I think you understand exactly what he wants

Have you tried the Eminence Red Fang?

-Tim

Quote Originally Posted by timc View Post
    Thanks for the feedback Harvey. We have actually looked at the greenbacks. I think you understand exactly what he wants

Have you tried the Eminence Red Fang?

-Tim
    If they're similar to the red 12" Eminence Jackson speakers I designed back in 1987 (with Bob Gault), they should be very good.

Celestion's also re-issued the old Celestion 65s, they're really good speakers in a 1960 cabinet. My main cab is a '79 1960A with the original 65s in it, it's a beast and very happy with my Les Pauls. I also keep another 65 in an open-back cabinet for a more portable rig or another recording option.

I actually sold my two Marshall 4 x 12s that had original Greenbacks in them, they weren't my style. Test stuff out before you commit, if possible.

Another option I've liked very much is the 2 x 12" or 4 x 12" Mesa Boogie Halfbacks, with half sealed-back 12"s and half open-back 12"s. They had EVs and Celestions, I think the EVs were sealed & the Celestions were open, but of course that's easily swapped.

I use a 2135 (pro version of the D130) in a small closed-back cab for recording guitar and bass, but it's not what I reach for when looking for thick distorted guitar tones.

I've also liked some Webers that I've tried, and the site has good audio samples:

https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/

je

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Sanford View Post
    My main cab is a '79 1960A with the original 65s in it, it's a beast.

je
    If you really wanna hear that "beast" open up, go find a 15 watt Fender Frontman for about $25 on Craigslist (with the 8 Ohm speaker jack on the far right of the front panel).

It will blow you away when you hook it up to your Marshall 1960A.

If you really wanna hear that "beast" open up, go find a 15 watt Fender Frontman for about $25 on Craigslist (with the 8 Ohm speaker jack on the far right of the front panel).
    Do you mean the one marked "headphone"?

This is a timely thread

I just bought a pair of D130 at a good price. They are in good shape for the age with some fade on the cones due to age but they have not been in the wars.
    In my continuing struggle to convert this entire village to JBL use I have chosen to help out our little local combo. Now no big shows here just small pub gigs and private partys for the moment.
    I want to use one for the lead guy in a smallish cab prob 30 h x 21 w x 12 d and would like it to behave as this guy here http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=n59R23FS8ps
    The size is such that if it does not work out I can change the baffle to a 2 x 12 or whatever. What are the pros and cons of the open back and can I do this in another way with a slot port on the front ? The reason I ask is I want to build the cabs with solid lids on the front for transit and an open back bothers me.

The second driver is destined for the bass ( small gigs ! ) and will go into a 2x15 size cab prob 36h x 24w x 15d ported and lagged cab. One 15" space will be unused at present but if things go well a 2225/6 could be brought in as a helper grunter with suitable mods internally. This baffle also will be made removeable / changeable to that end.

Does this seem like a decent way forward or am I way off track. If the bass is no good there are two other guitarists in the band so all options are open.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Do you mean the one marked "headphone"?
    No, they make a 15 Watt Frontman with a jack (to the right of the headphone jack) marked:

"8 Ohm Speaker Output".

No, they make a 15 Watt Frontman with a jack (to the right of the headphone jack) marked:

"8 Ohm Speaker Output".
    That would appear to be the Frontman PR-241. My daughter's Frontman 15G doesn't have it.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    That would appear to be the Frontman PR-241. My daughter's Frontman 15G doesn't have it.
    They made them both ways; with and without the speaker jack.

It will blow you away when you hook it up to your Marshall 1960A.
    A favorite of mine is an Estey T32, it's maybe 5 watts tops, class A. There's a T12 on E-Bay right now that's tempting me.

What's the particular treat about the Fender Frontman? I've had a few DeLuxes, Hot Rod Deluxes, and a '50s Gibson amp with a similar power otuput to the DeLuxes. I also have access to a 4 x 10" Hot Rod DeVille and a Blues Jr. (single 12"?) if I ever want to test them out.

I did have an all-tube Fender Bassman 15 (with a single 15" speaker) that was stolen by a crackhead, loved that little(ish) amp. I think I have a SS Fender Sidekick now (single 10") that I pretty much can't stand - limiter kicks in ALL the time.

There's also a Vox Brian May here, it's an interesting little SS combo amp.

Real answer to the original poster is that we'd need more info on tones the player is trying to achieve, and what gear the speakers would be mating up with. There are a LOT of good options out there.

je

Thread Information