Thread: Tonight's wonderful earful of JBL!!!

Tonight's wonderful earful of JBL!!!

Greetings, Friends,

Tonight, when I was busy making my dinner, I listened to a cassette tape, dubbed in 1987 on TDK SA-90 tape, entitled, "Christmas With the Canadian Brass". I've heard this tape many, many times since a good friend taped it for us from an LP, back in '87, and I like it very much. However, tonight's experience was a little more, nay, a LOT more than I'd ever heard before!!!

How so, you ask? Well, tonight is the very first time I've heard that tape on our new JBL L300's!!!! OH, MY GOODNESS GRACIOUS!!! Friends, the "Brass" never sounded so good, as they did tonight!! AND, to top it off, or maybe I should say, "round out the bottom", the recorded pipe organ just about blew me out of the room!!! WOWSERS!!! When the "Halleluja Chorus" came around, I stopped cooking, and ran into the living room, rewound the tape to the beginning, cranked up the sound, and took a front row seat, ready to be absolutely blown away!!! And, in absolute truth, that's exactly what happened!!! When it ended, I was all goose-bumps, and laughing like a maniac!!!

Tonight's enjoyable JBL experience has proved two things to me. One, is that the L300's, or at least THESE L300's, are simply fantastic speakers, which are capable of doing great justice to a small string quartet, and also to the Canadian Brass and a huge pipe organ!! Two, is that I really do want to add a 25HZ subwoofer to this system! No doubt about it. Though the L300's shook the room, and really made it seem that the pipe organ was right in there with me, I did miss the extreme bottom end of that organ, though I really don't think that "regular folks" would even have noticed it was not as strong as the 30-35 HZ stuff. But, even if I do not get a comparable subwoofer, I am even MORE happy with these L300's than I already was, and that, my Friends, is saying something!!!

Last comment: If I don't get my 18" 2242HPL up and running in a proper cabinet, tonight I started eyeing those 4333 utility enclosures I got from Grumpy, and thought, "Hummmmm, those cabinets already have my other pair of 2235H's in them..... maybe I should retune them, and make those two boxes a pair of 6th order, equalized subwoofers, ala the B380"!!!!!!!!! I do think that, if it comes to that, those two extra cabinets, loaded with the 2235H's, properly tuned, and with the voltage boost needed, would add the extra bottom end that I'd like to have when playing the music of a big pipe organ!!! What do you all think?? Ahhhh, "Audio Bliss" is wonderful, ain't it!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

P.S. I may cross-post this to AK, too, just for grins.
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Hi Doc Mark....

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mark View Post
    Greetings, Friends,

Tonight, when I was busy making my dinner, I listened to a cassette tape, dubbed in 1987 on TDK SA-90 tape, entitled, "Christmas With the Canadian Brass". I've heard this tape many, many times since a good friend taped it for us from an LP, back in '87, and I like it very much. However, tonight's experience was a little more, nay, a LOT more than I'd ever heard before!!!

How so, you ask? Well, tonight is the very first time I've heard that tape on our new JBL L300's!!!! OH, MY GOODNESS GRACIOUS!!! Friends, the "Brass" never sounded so good, as they did tonight!! AND, to top it off, or maybe I should say, "round out the bottom", the recorded pipe organ just about blew me out of the room!!! WOWSERS!!! When the "Halleluja Chorus" came around, I stopped cooking, and ran into the living room, rewound the tape to the beginning, cranked up the sound, and took a front row seat, ready to be absolutely blown away!!! And, in absolute truth, that's exactly what happened!!! When it ended, I was all goose-bumps, and laughing like a maniac!!!

Tonight's enjoyable JBL experience has proved two things to me. One, is that the L300's, or at least THESE L300's, are simply fantastic speakers, which are capable of doing great justice to a small string quartet, and also to the Canadian Brass and a huge pipe organ!! Two, is that I really do want to add a 25HZ subwoofer to this system! No doubt about it. Though the L300's shook the room, and really made it seem that the pipe organ was right in there with me, I did miss the extreme bottom end of that organ, though I really don't think that "regular folks" would even have noticed it was not as strong as the 30-35 HZ stuff. But, even if I do not get a comparable subwoofer, I am even MORE happy with these L300's than I already was, and that, my Friends, is saying something!!!

Last comment: If I don't get my 18" 2242HPL up and running in a proper cabinet, tonight I started eyeing those 4333 utility enclosures I got from Grumpy, and thought, "Hummmmm, those cabinets already have my other pair of 2235H's in them..... maybe I should retune them, and make those two boxes a pair of 6th order, equalized subwoofers, ala the B380"!!!!!!!!! I do think that, if it comes to that, those two extra cabinets, loaded with the 2235H's, properly tuned, and with the voltage boost needed, would add the extra bottom end that I'd like to have when playing the music of a big pipe organ!!! What do you all think?? Ahhhh, "Audio Bliss" is wonderful, ain't it!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

P.S. I may cross-post this to AK, too, just for grins.
    Just wondering what type of tape player were you using. Bandwidth is limited with those things.

Hey, JBLRaiser,

Good question. In fact, I was using one of our HK decks, a CD301. We have used a CD391, which was the replacement for the 301, for many years, since we bought it brand new in 1984, or so. We've liked it very much, and so recently I bought two more HK decks, on FleaBay, one is another CD391, and the other is the CD301 on which I listened to the CB lst night.

All of these decks have an ultra-wide frequency response of 20HZ-22KHZ +/-3db, with any tape forumulation, and dynamic range aside, as they will never compete with CD's in that regard, they do make some very nice tapes.

In comparing the two models, I have found that the 391 does suffer from weak fast-forward and rewind, over time, and both of our 391's exhibit this same tendency, unfortunately. Also, the 391's transport gets a bit noisy, over time, too, but you get used to that. Though I've only had the 301 for a week, or so, I've found it to rewind and fast-forward tapes MUCH more strongly, than do either of the 391 decks, and it's transport system is much quieter, too. One other difference is that the output control on the 301 seems to have much more gain in it, than that of either of the 391's, FWIW. But, overall, I think that these decks from HK were very good when new, and still can do most of that for which they were originally designed, which makes them very good cassette decks, IMHO.

I suppose the best thing to do, is to get a copy of that same "Christmas with the Canadian Brass" album, on a CD, and then see how THAT sounds on this same system, eh?! Good idea!! Thanks for the great question, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Looks like they'll burn on just for you here: http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/...lbum_id=146827

Hey, BMWCCA,

Well, thanks a LOT!! That's a wonderful site, and I've just placed my order for that Canadian Brass CD, plus another one featuring the Minnesota Orchestra playing selections from Aaron Copeland!! GOT to get my "Fanfare For The Common Man" fix, on CD!!!! Thank you, very much, for that information, my Friend! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

Greetings, Friends,

Tonight's enjoyable JBL experience has proved two things to me.

Two, is that I really do want to add a 25HZ subwoofer to this system! No doubt about it. Though the L300's shook the room, and really made it seem that the pipe organ was right in there with me, I did miss the extreme bottom end of that organ.

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

(PSST: for real sub duties..., well, I think you know my 15" preference. One is good but two wired in parallel at 6 ohms would be killer. But you got to have lots of watts.)

If you are so inclined to.........

Hey, JBLRaiser,

Good question. In fact, I was using one of our HK decks, a CD301. We have used a CD391, which was the replacement for the 301, for many years, since we bought it brand new in 1984, or so. We've liked it very much, and so recently I bought two more HK decks, on FleaBay, one is another CD391, and the other is the CD301 on which I listened to the CB lst night.

All of these decks have an ultra-wide frequency response of 20HZ-22KHZ +/-3db, with any tape forumulation, and dynamic range aside, as they will never compete with CD's in that regard, they do make some very nice tapes.

In comparing the two models, I have found that the 391 does suffer from weak fast-forward and rewind, over time, and both of our 391's exhibit this same tendency, unfortunately. Also, the 391's transport gets a bit noisy, over time, too, but you get used to that. Though I've only had the 301 for a week, or so, I've found it to rewind and fast-forward tapes MUCH more strongly, than do either of the 391 decks, and it's transport system is much quieter, too. One other difference is that the output control on the 301 seems to have much more gain in it, than that of either of the 391's, FWIW. But, overall, I think that these decks from HK were very good when new, and still can do most of that for which they were originally designed, which makes them very good cassette decks, IMHO.

I suppose the best thing to do, is to get a copy of that same "Christmas with the Canadian Brass" album, on a CD, and then see how THAT sounds on this same system, eh?! Good idea!! Thanks for the great question, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    experimentation, pick up a Nakamichi BX300. A mid level deck from Nak that uses the same heads as their upper end decks. Sonically very fine.

JBL 4645
    Doc
    I’m dyslexic I couldn’t read a single word, so would it be possible to have pictures because I’ve seen what the JBL L300 looks like, just need pictures of them and around the room, please.

Quote Originally Posted by JBLRaiser View Post
    experimentation, pick up a Nakamichi BX300. A mid level deck from Nak that uses the same heads as their upper end decks. Sonically very fine.
    What of the professional reel-to-reel types what can they support in terms of frequency response to dynamic range as well as S/N ratio, or would you just use Dolby SR type to offer the highest noise reduction?

I have an JVC tape deck part of those midi systems it was something that an ole neighbour was throwing out at one of old address many years ago. The motors on it are very sluggish, meaning the tape isn’t being transported from one spool to the next without it, you know what I mean. It doesn’t jam up the tape just slows right down on both sides A and B. It only supports Dolby B type which is the same chip used in all Dolby pro-logic decoders to reduce the frequency range on the high end, I think its 7Khz.

I couldn't tell you, but......................

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    Doc
    I’m dyslexic I couldn’t read a single word, so would it be possible to have pictures because I’ve seen what the JBL L300 looks like, just need pictures of them and around the room, please.

What of the professional reel-to-reel types what can they support in terms of frequency response to dynamic range as well as S/N ratio, or would you just use Dolby SR type to offer the highest noise reduction?

I have an JVC tape deck part of those midi systems it was something that an ole neighbour was throwing out at one of old address many years ago. The motors on it are very sluggish, meaning the tape isn’t being transported from one spool to the next without it, you know what I mean. It doesn’t jam up the tape just slows right down on both sides A and B. It only supports Dolby B type which is the same chip used in all Dolby pro-logic decoders to reduce the frequency range on the high end, I think its 7Khz.
    my ears like the Naks and they are built well. I've got a Teac 3340 SimulSync, but it's too much work putting on and taking off reels. Sounds good, though.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

JBL 4645
    Wow that’s nice 4-track is it not?

Yes it is,

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    Wow that’s nice 4-track is it not?
    Here a little info.

Features include: Three Heads: Erase, Record and Playback, 3 Motors: 1 Dual Speed Capstan and 2 Eddy Current Induction Reel Motors, Plays 7 1/2 & 15 IPS speeds, Plays either 2 Track/4 Track, 4 Line Input Level controls, 4 Mic Level Inputs and 4 Output Level Controls.
    It Has 4 Separate Channels in one direction, on which signals from 8 different sources may be recorded simultaneously or one at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by JBLRaiser View Post
    Here a little info.

Features include: Three Heads: Erase, Record and Playback, 3 Motors: 1 Dual Speed Capstan and 2 Eddy Current Induction Reel Motors, Plays 7 1/2 & 15 IPS speeds, Plays either 2 Track/4 Track, 4 Line Input Level controls, 4 Mic Level Inputs and 4 Output Level Controls.
    It Has 4 Separate Channels in one direction, on which signals from 8 different sources may be recorded simultaneously or one at a time.
    I want one of those soooooooo bad. It's beautiful and I'm sure it even sounds better than it looks.

Nice!

I don't know how I missed this thread before...that's a sweeet TEAC!

Pete
    L220A's w/B460; 4313B's w/2241-based Sub; 4401's w/JL Audio E112

In the "old days" we used to record on a Teac 3340S in a converted "garage studio." Mixing was done of an 8-channel Tascam board. A four channel dBx was used to reduce the omni-present tape hiss inherent to the 3340S.

Enjoy

Thread Information