Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ranking JBL 3 way bookshelves

Post ranking JBL 3 way bookshelves

JBL produced many 3 way "bookshelves" ....I realized that its a question that has no absolute answer, only subjective opinions....,
    BUT, how would YOU rate them (only from what you have actually heard, not read about) ?????

what I have heard and rating

1. L166
    2. 4410
    3. 4412
    4. L36
    4. L100 (tie for 4th place)
    6. L80T (kind of a tweener - couldnt put on a shelf)
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

century gold

must be in there

L112
    L96
    L86

All sound nearly identical from the mid-bass up.

Obsolete
    The 4313B was considered the best of the bunch and I would tend to agree with that. "The 10-inch 3-ways worked particularly well."

I heard them all at various times over the years in a multitude of venues and I don't remember any of them striking me as particularly bad. Well now wait, the 4311's or 4312's at Griffith Park Observatory were pretty awful. The 120Ti stands out although I personally prefer an LE10H or LE111H based version instead of the 128H-1. L36, L50, L86, L100, L110, L112, L166, 4310, 4311, 4312, 4410, 4411, 4412, etc.

I've not heard alot of the newer models but I'm sure the Century Gold would be at the top of the heap. I didn't much care for the LSR32's but I'm perfectly willing to blame that on my particular room and their placement in it. I'd like to hear a pair of L90's but probably never will.

When you say the the 120TI stands out is that stands out good or stands out bad???

Mark
    Changing to Legacy Audio and started with a Silver Screen HD for my center between the 250TIs

Quote Originally Posted by opimax View Post
    When you say the the 120TI stands out is that stands out good or stands out bad???
    I'm reasonably certain he meant it as in "outstanding". Everyone loves that 044ti. If I have any room left in the van for the "L300 vs. L7" comparo, I may have to think about bringing along my 4412As so we can compare to your 120Ti's.

great, the 120s haven't seen any attention other than picking out which set get the best feeling/looking surrounds and how close they are to my ears in use. I compared the last spare set to the DQ-10s and was surprised in how different they sounded, key word was different. A friend liked them better I went the other way.

Mark
    Changing to Legacy Audio and started with a Silver Screen HD for my center between the 250TIs

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I'm reasonably certain he meant it as in "outstanding". Everyone loves that 044ti.

I always liked the entire original Ti Series.
    If I have any room left in the van for the "L300 vs. L7" comparo, I may have to think about bringing along my 4412As so we can compare to your 120Ti's.

I had that impression from the past talks and dealings w/you and my result of owning 6 sets of TIs

Mark

Everyone loves that 044ti.
    Not everybody....recently one of the very senior members here ranted on abt how bad it is and cannot be replaced.

I'm trying to care for mine, plenty of power, no clipping here ...I DO like the sound...... Marty, who sold me the 250ti's, as I remember was underwhelmed with the 240ti ... am I quoting you correctly, Marty ?
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Not everybody....recently one of the very senior members here ranted on abt how bad it is and cannot be replaced.

I'm trying to care for mine, plenty of power, no clipping here ...I DO like the sound...... Marty, who sold me the 250ti's, as I remember was underwhelmed with the 240ti ... am I quoting you correctly, Marty ?
    So what do you think of them in your 250Ti's?

My 4412As are all original with original surrounds. Hopefully we'll have a chance to compare them with Opi's 120Ti. They've never been my favorite but I do like them a lot. It always seemed I'd end up swapping them with the L5 and just leave the L5s in the system. Whenever I put the 4412As in, I'd always go back for the L5. This may be simply because placement of the L5 is easier; just stand them practically anywhere in the room and plug 'em in. The 4412As need to be horizontal to work best and off the floor closer to ear level. That usually requires a shelf, or a willing C35 cabinet that doesn't get jeaolous.

IMO, the L110 or L110A would rate above an L36 and L100. The former two certainly have a more high-tech crossover with better parts, and better drivers than the latter two. JBL marketed the L110 as an improved replacement for the L100, FWIW.

I would think that the PT800 from the Performance series would certainly be a contender, or does it satellite status disqualify it from consideration? I would rather have a pair of PT800s than L100s or L36s, without a doubt.

Are you only talking classics here?

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by coherent_guy View Post
    I would think that the PT800 from the Performance series would certainly be a contender, or does it satellite status disqualify it from consideration?
    I almost included the L212 since some people did take the bases off and put them on shelves but...
    Are you only talking classics here?
    :dont-know
    I would rather have a pair of PT800s than L100s or L36s, without a doubt.
    They are really nice.

I've got a pair of 4410, L166, and L110, and I've been meaning to compare them. Someone here suggested that the L110 would compare poorly to the 4410, but I'm interested to find out. It's hard to find a block of time and the energy to set up such a comparison.

Concerning the PT800:

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    They are really nice.
    As much as I love them, I've never had the 'nads to run them below 80Hz, though I know it's technically possible. Above 80 Hz, I'd take them over most any "bookshelf" three-way. However, even my lowly E50 has better rated LF response.

Have you heard them run unrestricted?
    Out.

Thread Information