Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Some of my JBL stuff.... finally!

Some of my JBL stuff.... finally!

Greetings, Friends,

Well, with the Living Room finally cleaned up a bit, I felt like it was way past time for me to post some photos of some of my JBL stuff. Thanks, very much, for not giving me too much grief for posting lots of drivel, with no supporting photos! Much appreciated! These photos aren't the best, but they are at least a start. Here goes:

Hummmm... can't seem to figure out how to insert text between the photos. Oh well. The first photo is of our basic system, most of it Harman/Kardon, with our wonderful L300's. I also unboxed the 4411's that I bought last week for $200. They need some new foam, but work very well, other than that.

The next two photos show those 4411's, up close. You can see that one seems to have good foam, and the other is rotted out. I supported the woofer with the missing foam when I tested it, and it sounds strong and ready to do a good job, once it's foam has been replaced. To that end, I've called Edgewound and talked to him about coming down the mountain to pay him a little visit, and have the proper job done on both woofers. Even though one seems good, it's probably best to do them both, at the same time, just to be sure they both keep working for many more years. Both enclosures are in very good shape, but could use some light sanding, and new oil, which I will do. The grills are also in very good shape, with only one small hole at the bottom of one. It's small enough that I completely missed it when I was seeing them for the first time, and trying to decide whether to buy them, or not. For $200, I think they were a very good buy, and am glad that they now live here with Sweet Bride and me!

The next photo is of our regular system, with the 4411's removed.

And, the last photo shows those old 4333 cabinets that Grumpy sent my way, along with some miscellaneous JBL goodies that will be a part of the experimentation that is yet to come. I've already stuffed the 4333's with my extra 2235H's, 2420/2307's (+2308's which are down in the Hobbit Hole), and 2405's. Even though nothing's hooked up, I love just looking at them! On top of it all, you can see the rest of the goodies, including a pair of 2380A's, 2445J's, and H93 horns. I also have two Crown DC300A's, plus the Ashly XR-4001 crossover I just received from Full Compass, and all these things will be setup with our regular system, to see how we like 2-way, 3-way, and 4-way JBL systems, all electronically crossed over!! Lots to do, but now most everything is here and waiting for time to present itself!! Thanks, very much, for checking out our JBL goodies, and for waiting so long for these photos! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Yes, you have been very busy..........

You have some great gear there. My next buy will be the L300 or 4333. Whichever I can find at a reasonable price. Just missed some 4333's in Atlanta last week for $500. I have yet to biamp my Model 19's, which should be a revelation (still fooling with SS/ tube amp/preamp combos). Then on to the three ways. You have done very well. It's been enjoyable following your journey.

Evening, JBLRaiser,

Thanks, very much! All this stuff has been a dream for me, since the late 1970's, and only now is it finally beginning to come together!! Has it been worth the wait? You're darned right it has!!! The next thing that must be done is the work on those 4333 boxes. I have to fill a square hole that someone cut in the back of both cabinets, and then some repair work, and add some new paint. Then, I will need to make some basic boxes for my 2123H's (Thanks, Bart!), and after that, it will just be a matter of swapping goodies, and trying various crossover points, then taking notes of what sounds good to us, and what doesn't. In any case, it's already fun, and the neat thing is that I've only scratched the surface, with much more yet to come! Cool! Thanks to one and all who shared goodies with me, sold me some fine stuff at more than fair prices, and offered tons of great advice and suggestions! All such info is safely filed away, and every bit of it will be explored as things move on down the road!!

I know that you will be happy with either a nice pair of L300's, or a nice pair of 4333's, when the time is right for you to spring for them! I dearly love the big, open, effortless sound that the L300's present, and know that the 4333's will offer the same thing to you. So, whichever comes to hand first, I'm sure you will love them, as do I!!

What are your plans for the Model 19's? Are you going to keep them, once you score your JBL's? If it were me, I would do so, if you have the room for them! I remember, back when Stereo Review did some testing of them, they wrote that this speaker had been "banned in Boston", which always made me laugh when I read it!! I have both 811 and 511 horns, plus Altec 902 compression drivers, which have always sounded sweet and clear to me. A friend also gave me some old Model 19 cabinets, once, but I never did anything with them, and eventually gave them back to him. Like the L300's and 4333's, I always thought that the Model 19's had a big, open, and dynamic sound. If you like them, then I think you will LOVE the JBL's! Just my opinion, mind you, and worth exactly what you paid to read it!! I wish for you all the fun I've had in working up to my own projects, and know that you, like me, will have a great time on the journey to knowledge! It's neverending! The more we learn, the more we don't know!! Thanks, again, for you kind comments, and best of luck on your own projects. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Nice!

Doc,

What a beautiful assortment of gear you have there...I've always wanted a pair of L300's. Trouble is, with all my present gear I'd have nowhere to put them! With some refoaming those 4411's would be really sweet too.

As a Crown man from way back, I can't help but long for a peek at those two Crown DC300A's you mentioned....

Thanks for sharing the pics!

Pete

Hi, Pete,

Thank you, very much, for the kind words! From your Avatar, it looks like you have a beloved system, too, and I'd love to see more of it!

If you look at the last photo, the one of the 4333's, you can just see one of the Crown DC300A's, with a Crown VFX-2A sitting on top of it, on the floor to the right of the screen which hides the 4333's. Both amps are there, and another one, an older DC300, is down in the Hobbit Hole. As this experiment progresses, I'll be rack-mounting the amps, crossover, and a few other goodies, and adding it to our current system. I'll take and post photos of the journey along the way.

Thanks, again, Pete, for your kind words, and please post a few photos of your own system, as you have time. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

Here's a few

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mark View Post
    Hi, Pete,

Thank you, very much, for the kind words! From your Avatar, it looks like you have a beloved system, too, and I'd love to see more of it!

If you look at the last photo, the one of the 4333's, you can just see one of the Crown DC300A's, with a Crown VFX-2A sitting on top of it, on the floor to the right of the screen which hides the 4333's. Both amps are there, and another one, an older DC300, is down in the Hobbit Hole. As this experiment progresses, I'll be rack-mounting the amps, crossover, and a few other goodies, and adding it to our current system. I'll take and post photos of the journey along the way.

Thanks, again, Pete, for your kind words, and please post a few photos of your own system, as you have time. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    Hey Doc,

I'd posted some pics a few years ago, but earlier this year some upgrades were done, now that you've asked this is a good time to post a few recent ones. I actually have four systems, the main living room system (pictured here) and three smaller secondary systems. Three of the four systems use JBL speakers, all of them generally of the early eighties vintage. My main system's speakers are L220A's, with a B460 sub. All are powered by McIntosh MC501 monoblocks. It's a great combo.

Hope you enjoy!

Pete

P.S. Now that you've pointed them out, I can just barely make out the DC300A with the VFX2 network in the one photo. I have an IC150A in my office system with a Hafler DH500A. I also have an original Crown DC300 in its box, retired (at least for now).
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Good Evening, pmakres1,

WOW!!! What a fantastic system you have!!! Those huge Mac amps just exude warmth, and good sound, by looking at them! I can only imagine how great they must sound!! I can see that you like your old LP's, just like me! I have quite a few of them, some in our stereo cabinet, which I built many years ago, but even more in an old armoire that is not far from our stereo setup. Your system looks flat-out, outstanding, Sir, and I compliment you on the quality of it, in all respect! I, too, have a Soundcraftsmen AS1000, and have given thought to dusting it off and adding it to our system. How do you like it, and also the Soundcraftsmen EQ? I have given thought to finding a match to our AS1000, and still might end up doing that.

With your JBL subwoofer, I would believe that your L220A's are just cruising, most of the time, and that your main system is something that gives you much joy and pride!! I'll bet the combo of your L220A's and that B460 sub, is just about perfect, and would love to hear it sometime. Very nice, indeed. Thanks, very much, for sharing it with all of us!! And, again, congrats on a top of the line system, IMHO!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

Thanks!

Doc,

Thanks so much for the kind words. The system has been in the building since my high school days...that's when I built the record cabinet-around 1976. Not much of the original gear is left today, though! The SAE 5000 is about the only original piece remaining. I had a Soundcraftsmen RP2212 in those days (I still have it-it's been moved to another system). I like the AS1000, but when I got it, the microphone didn't come with it, and I've been trying to find one. I like those vintage Soundcraftsme eq's-I have one on all four of my systems, plus one spare.

The addition of the B460 to the system was a major improvement, and I built the big system center around it. The B460 does make the L220A's life much easier, much cleaner by relieving them of the lowest notes from 63hz down. It also does (as claimed) clean up the system's midrange very notably as well.The B460 is one of the best subs ever built, IMHO. I'd searched for one for many years before I began browsing ebay, when I finally snagged one in 2002. I had the 2245H driver reconed last year, so it's good for a lifetime (okay, almost) now.

If you ever plan a trip to Florida, Tampa Bay area, let me know. You'll be more than welcome to stop in for an audition!

Very best regards,

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by pmakres1 View Post

If you ever plan a trip to Florida, Tampa Bay area, let me know. You'll be more than welcome to stop in for an audition!

Pete
    Tampa?

Now u got me thinking about Burns Steakhouse!
    scottyj

Hi, Pete,

You are very welcome, Sir! It's a pleasure to see a system like your's, and to learn a little more about its history. If I ever do visit the Sunshine State, I'll be sure to give you a shout, first, to see if we can meet up. Love to hear your system, in person!

Thanks, also, for your recommendation of the Soundcraftsmen EQ's. I've used one from Audio Control which, though it was a little noisy, worked quite well until recently. I have two H/K EQ8's, which also work pretty well, and both of them are more quiet than the AC was. Down in the Hobbit Hole, there's also an MXR Stereo Fifteen EQ that used to work pretty well, too. In fact, I dug it out of the HH the other day, and will hook it up again, to compare it to the EQ8. My AS-1000 came with it's original microphone, so if I ever end up visiting, I'll pack that mic along, and we can play with it, if you'd like.

Seeing you use setup your B460 has given me some new thoughts about using that one 2242HPL that I got a while back. I was going to hide it in the corner, right where those 4333's are setting, now. But, I like the idea of using it in the center, as you have done. I need to build a new stereo cabinet, anyway, so this might work out rather well. More fun ideas to consider! Thanks! And, thanks, again, for sharing your fine system! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

Hey Doc!

Looks great!!!

I am re-foaming the 128 woofers from a pair of 4411's that walked into my shop a few weeks ago. Can't wait to get them singin' and swingin' again. There are NOT as pretty as yours, though.

Have you had a chance to play with the Ashly 4001 yet?

Don't stop! Some will live vicariously through you and your sweet bride.

Scotty.
    One step above: "Two Tin Cans and a String!"
    Longtime Alaskan Low-Fi Guy - E=MC² ±3db

Close...

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    Tampa?

Now u got me thinking about Burns Steakhouse!
    Scotty,

Actually, I'm across the "pond" from Tampa, in Largo. About 20 minutes from Tampa.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mark View Post
    Hi, Pete,

You are very welcome, Sir! It's a pleasure to see a system like your's, and to learn a little more about its history. If I ever do visit the Sunshine State, I'll be sure to give you a shout, first, to see if we can meet up. Love to hear your system, in person!

Thanks, also, for your recommendation of the Soundcraftsmen EQ's. I've used one from Audio Control which, though it was a little noisy, worked quite well until recently. I have two H/K EQ8's, which also work pretty well, and both of them are more quiet than the AC was. Down in the Hobbit Hole, there's also an MXR Stereo Fifteen EQ that used to work pretty well, too. In fact, I dug it out of the HH the other day, and will hook it up again, to compare it to the EQ8. My AS-1000 came with it's original microphone, so if I ever end up visiting, I'll pack that mic along, and we can play with it, if you'd like.

Seeing you use setup your B460 has given me some new thoughts about using that one 2242HPL that I got a while back. I was going to hide it in the corner, right where those 4333's are setting, now. But, I like the idea of using it in the center, as you have done. I need to build a new stereo cabinet, anyway, so this might work out rather well. More fun ideas to consider! Thanks! And, thanks, again, for sharing your fine system! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    Somebody told me once the model number of that microphone, but I don't remember who it was and I forgot to write it down.

They say the placement of a sub is non-critical, and to some extent that is true. But, I believe in trying to place it as close to the center (between the main speakers) as is possible...especially with a front-firing sub.

I'm not really familiar with the 2242HPL....I'll have to look it up out of curiousity.

Pete

They say the placement of a sub is non-critical...
    They say a lot of things... they are almost always wrong.

I'm not really familiar with the 2242HPL....I'll have to look it up out of curiousity.
    It was developed because the 2245 can be easily overdriven in large venues. The 2242 is a real brute. They will take enormous levels of power and pound out the bass all day and night. Personally for home use or any critical music listening situation, I think there is no comparison however. The 2245 is a much more musically accurate driver.

Widget

Morning, Pete,

That Soundcraftsmen mic is called the "Sam-II Omnidirectional Electret Microphone" Box info: "600 ohm impedance, 15' cord, full spectrum, high sensitivity". It needs a battery for power, but always seemed to work like a champ, back when I had my AS-1000 in our system. Someplace, I have a real spec sheet for it, and if you need that info, I'll see if it will come to hand.

I agree with you on subwoofer placement, actually. Maybe, if you cross them over low enough, their omnidirectional characteristics will make them hard to "locate". But, in our little sub/sat system, crossed over at 90HZ, I could easily "locate" the source of the LF info, at least in our listening room, especially when on the off-side of the room. So, I like your idea of centering the sub, and will definitely give that a try, as things progress. I may end up having to go back to corner placement for the sub, out of room/space requirements. But, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it!

The 2242H is the transducer which JBL used in their THX 4645C subwoofer system. I'm going to try and clone that design for my own 2242H, as it extends the LF down to around 22HZ +/-10 db, with no EQ, and 22HZ +/- 3 db, with external EQ. Either way, that adds to the bottom end of the L300's, and also the 4333's, so I'm eager to try it! Talk to you later, and have a great weekend of music, through that wonderful system of your's!! God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

Thread Information