Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ALTEC LANSING releases the Daleks!

ALTEC LANSING releases the Daleks!

I know its a leap from the VOTT or Model 19s, but I just saw a press release on Engadget that had images of the new Altec Lansing Expression speakers ...

To quote Engadget:

"The most stand-out, by far, are the Expressionist Bass speakers pictured above, which are a full ten inches high and include built-in 4-inch subwoofers and two 1.5-inch drivers apiece. Look for them to set you back $130 when they're released next month in both black and white versions"

http://www.engadget.com/2008/09/10/a...akers-aplenty/

"EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!"
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Maron Horonzakz
    Exterminate !!! Exterminate!!!!

Current Altec Lansing speakers are in name only. Not the same company of old.

Quote Originally Posted by jblsound View Post
    Current Altec Lansing speakers are in name only. Not the same company of old.
    REALLY!!

OMG

LOL

I'm surely not promoting the company who currently owns the Altec Lansing name -
    I posted this because I thought it was a profoundly UGLY design and NOT WORTHY
    of such a once-fine name. (isn't it obvious they are just computer and iPod speakers?)

I also thought that designing a speaker to look like the DALEKs from Doctor Who was a pretty stupid idea as well.

I really didn't think ANYONE would take my original post seriously.

I kinda thought "Exterminate, Exterminate" said it all, or was that too subtle (?????????)
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

I don't see that members of this site should help along some second rate company, just because they bought the rights to use the Altec name. The the majority of the buying public doesn't know that.
    It would be like Infinity or JBL closing their doors and and Bose buying the rights to use those names, to produce even more less than quality speakers. So even more of the unlearned public can be brainwashed into buying inferior speakers.

I don't see that members of this site should help along some second rate company, just because they bought the rights to use the Altec name. The the majority of the buying public doesn't know that.
    It would be like Infinity or JBL closing their doors and and Bose buying the rights to use those names, to produce even more less than quality speakers. So even more of the unlearned public can be brainwashed into buying inferior speakers.
    C'mon - even JBL makes cheap gear for computers and iPods, and they also make stuff that sells at BestBuy/CircuitCity retailers, plus even better higher end stuff, and all the way to the $60k a pair Everest ...

Its not all good all the time, ok?

I don't care if a company builds cheap gear. But I consider a company to be second rate if they feel they have to use another company's name to sell their gear, instead of their own.
    And it is unfortunate that JBL was sold in BB, as BB only sold the cheapest series. I've crossed paths with many people in their 20's, who thought JBL only made cheap, bottom rung speakers, because that's all they saw in BB.
    30 years ago, walk into a HiFi shop that sold JBL and they might have a 1/2 dozen, or more, different JBL series, from cheap to quite expensive.
    And with that thought in mind, where will the LS series turn up? Curious minds want to know.

I don't care if a company builds cheap gear. But I consider a company to be second rate if they feel they have to use another company's name to sell their gear, instead of their own.
    And it is unfortunate that JBL was sold in BB, as BB only sold the cheapest series. I've crossed paths with many people in their 20's, who thought JBL only made cheap, bottom rung speakers, because that's all they saw in BB.
    30 years ago, walk into a HiFi shop that sold JBL and they might have a 1/2 dozen, or more, different JBL series, from cheap to quite expensive.
    And with that thought in mind, where will the LS series turn up? Curious minds want to know.
    preachin to the choir here ... when I was in college in the early 70s, WUSC radio used Tiger 01 amps and 4310s in their studios. I heard the sound and fell in love. So when I got out of college, I bought L36s, and had them until I bought the bigger stuff years later.

Back in the day, the L36 and L100s were JBLs mainstream Best Buy type speakers, so to speak ...

But you or me moaning over the cheeseball Altecs of today won't stop them makin' them or sellin' them - all we can do is keep the good stuff in circulation and in use, eh?

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Maron Horonzakz View Post
    Exterminate !!! Exterminate!!!!
    We are the Altec’s Exterminate! Exterminate! Oh nice one Heather.
    So are they planning world domination of the market place?

Back in the day, the L36 and L100s were JBLs mainstream Best Buy type speakers, so to speak ...
    Back in the ealy '70's, when I was just an apprentice, I could afford the L55, but really wanted the L65. I think the difference was around $75 more per speaker. That sounds like chicken feed now, but I couldn't go the other $150 for a pair of L65s. Still got the L55s though.

I don't remember what the cheapest JBLs were back then. I know the L100s were cheaper than the L55s. I think the L100 was $198/ea and the L55 was $276/ea, and I think the L65 was $350/ea, although the Jubals were more.

4-inch subwoofers

Lmao

OK

Marantz brand name has been used by many companies...Currently Marantz CAN BE pretty good gear. Just makes things confusing when buying used.

to me BB is same same as CC....and I remember L7's in their showroom.

Back in the ealy '70's, when I was just an apprentice, I could afford the L55, but really wanted the L65. I think the difference was around $75 more per speaker. That sounds like chicken feed now, but I couldn't go the other $150 for a pair of L65s. Still got the L55s though.

I don't remember what the cheapest JBLs were back then. I know the L100s were cheaper than the L55s. I think the L100 was $198/ea and the L55 was $276/ea, and I think the L65 was $350/ea, although the Jubals were more.
    1973 ad
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...33&postcount=6

shows L55 is a massive $3 (three) dollars more than the L-100's.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    OK
    1973 ad
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...33&postcount=6

shows L55 is a massive $3 (three) dollars more than the L-100's.
    The L100 was less than $200, that ad shows the Century L100 @ $273.
    of all the JBL speakers of the '70's, the L55 was manufactured the longest, from '71 ~ '81. Although there was L55A, which was a 3-way, but only lasted two years.
    I just counted a total of 6 different L100 models. But the only one I remember seeing was the first L100. Counting all the models of the L100 it was sold from the '70's ~ early '90's

I got my L36s back in 1976 - $200 each (I was stingy).
    A friend got L100s at the same time - I remember it as $300 each, but- it might have been $273 ...

The L100 was less than $200, that ad shows the Century L100 @ $273.
    of all the JBL speakers of the '70's, the L55 was manufactured the longest, from '71 ~ '81. Although there was L55A, which was a 3-way, but only lasted two years.
    I just counted a total of 6 different L100 models. But the only one I remember seeing was the first L100. Counting all the models of the L100 it was sold from the '70's ~ early '90's

I'm sure the Jubals and the L65s were the same price as they basicaly were the same speakers.

Thread Information