Hi Everyone,

I'm new here and I'm sure you've seen this question umpteen billion times. But I thought I'd ask anyways. I'm setting up a home theater / music playing area in my new apartment and I decided to take the route of trying to go with some classic speakers.

After a little bit of research I think I'm pretty much settled on the fact I'd like to get some classic JBL or Altec Lansing's. The details

Amp = Pioneer VSX-24TX

Room size = 19x14

Musical preferences include, Alternative (Jack Johnson, Jason Mraz etc), Alternative Rock and Classic Rock, as well as some nice smooth jazz a lot of the time in the evening.

Again, I'm also wanting to incorporate the speakers as home theater stuff (fronts and surrounds), but my priorities are

1) Make the music I listen to sound ungodly awesome
2) Make watching movies a little more fun

Honestly not really sure what my budget *should* be, but I need to start somewhere and I understand these systems are typically better built over time and saving money for better quality components. Although, keep in mind this will be in a small apartment and I don't want to wait 5 years before its all done.

I need to start with at least front (stereo) speakers first and go from there.

What kind of recommendations can you guys make? (I found a nice set of JBL L96's on craigslist for $75 for the pair, is something like that pretty good?)

Thank you all for any info you can provide!