Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: frankensteins monitors

the difference is about 1.5db

I will try out any last possibilities for a fault somewhere else in the system during the weekend

Quote Originally Posted by vernb View Post
    the difference is about 1.5db

I will try out any last possibilities for a fault somewhere else in the system during the weekend
    Did you try actually switching the drivers on the horns? Some of these horns have been shown to "separate" and maybe that could cause a variation.

Quote Originally Posted by toddalin View Post
    Did you try actually switching the drivers on the horns? Some of these horns have been shown to "separate" and maybe that could cause a variation.
    What do you mean by "separate"? I will try switching drivers tomorrow. And perhaps try the same drivers on my 2350 horns instead

Thanks

Originally Posted by jerv
    After a long search, I finally got a pair of 2360's in the house, and thought I would join this thread.

These horns are really awesome. I am now listening to them togheter with 2235's in 5 cu.ft reflex boxes, 400 Hz passive crossover with some compensation, and some room eq. No supertweeter seems necessary in my setup.

Notice prototype crossover components to the left. Still measuring, simulating, tweaking and testing. Exciting!!

I have been working with my 2360's for about six months. To me they are hard on axis around 7KHz and up. Tonight I added 2404's in at 8K with 2.3 mS delay and cut the 2360's at 8K. Much better!

With horn loaded subs and E130's for mid bass under them it makes for one bitchen shop system.

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by jerv View Post
    Thanks!

They already sound great - and will hopefully sound even better biamped, when my electronic analog crossovers are ready (am using passive prototype crossovers for the moment). Crossover 400 Hz to the 2235 bass bins - and lots of compensation and eq. Seems that no supertweeter is needed.

Espen
    Oh, yeah I see the passive crossovers on the floor to the left-hand-side. Also is that a Marantz amplifier I see standing between the speakers?

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    Oh, yeah I see the passive crossovers on the floor to the left-hand-side. Also is that a Marantz amplifier I see standing between the speakers?
    No, it's an old SAE Mark One preamplifier. And you can also see an (almost nearly as old) Sumo Electra Preamp. What you don't see, is my GAS Thoebe preamp, and my SAE, GAS, and Sumo power amps. But you can see my three 250W MOSFET amps of own design and construction.

Espen

problem seems to be in my preamp and fortunately not in the 2360 horns or 2450 drivers. I will get back to this

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    I have been working with my 2360's for about six months. To me they are hard on axis around 7KHz and up. Tonight I added 2404's in at 8K with 2.3 mS delay and cut the 2360's at 8K. Much better!
    Interesting. My setup does not seem hard, and I have good response to 16-18 kHz (using Radian 950-PB drivers and analog electronic crossover/eq). What drivers/xover compensation did you use on the 2360's?

Espen

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by jerv View Post
    No, it's an old SAE Mark One preamplifier. And you can also see an (almost nearly as old) Sumo Electra Preamp. What you don't see, is my GAS Thoebe preamp, and my SAE, GAS, and Sumo power amps. But you can see my three 250W MOSFET amps of own design and construction.

Espen
    Sorry I must have missed those has I was too distracted by the JBL 2360-A horns each of the LF and HF bi-amp separately with passive crossover or do you plan on getting active crossover for ultimate smoothness.

I’ll take another peek as I’m a natural JBL voyeur.

JBL 4645
    I see I see I see says the blind man I see.

Yes I see I thought they where cases for CD’s

Need to take a few more pictures to exploit the rear view of the diy amplifiers. Also I think a few more of the JBL speakers as I can’t get enough.

I guess its really easy to get the JBL 2360-A THX horns to respond to high frequencies after a little minor in-room EQ due to the high sensitivity. I’d feel better if I had larger horns for my JBL control 5 the small HF titanium tweeter, I don’t like to push it too hard.

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    Sorry I must have missed those has I was too distracted by the JBL 2360-A horns each of the LF and HF bi-amp separately with passive crossover or do you plan on getting active crossover for ultimate smoothness.
    I have been using passive networks for some experiments and prototyping, but have now built analog active crossovers with eq and compensation built in. Biamping of course. Still adjusting and tweaking

this thread i read, hours on hours,
    hijacked, corrupted by scandinavian powers.
    i see nothing more to do but, machine, leave you.
    i turn my head, to say goodbye. i will ...not... cry

ok, its no so dramatic after all. the rhyme above came all alone you see and it seemed to fit the picture.
    so: NO PROBLEM gentlemen, please dont leave this thread.

------------------------------

news:
    i got a swedish chair (hej heater!)(thats living room furniture, right? it fits!!) and got the subwooferprototyps ala DIPOL connected.
    it works (with lots of EQ)--
    im sitting close to them and can hear alot of bass. BUT i think thats because i hit some hard room-modes right now.
    after driving the subs around in the room i settled them right in front of the sweetspot in about 15o cm distance, befor that i had them behind the sweet spot in 1oo cm distance and the bass was much weaker (7dB) and clearer.
    --so i really think i deal with room modes right now.

as soon as i find the time i will build better, stronger baffles, because the ones i have are built from cheapest scrap-parts from some ikea kitchen, and try some different mounting and positioning. cool would be a sub-cluster hanging from the ceiling, but im afraid the anchors would work their way out of the ceiling when given 18" vibrations 24/7 (im living in a very old house).

i will keep you informed on my progress.

cheers,
    mikey

ps.
    yes, the boxes look ugly in contrast to the beatiful horn, but please dont forget they are just the protos.

Not just me - I have a pair of Poang and so does TiDome ...!
    GOT to have the comfy chair!
    but I've got little tiny speakers in my living room right now -
    expecting a potential speaker buyer and I don't want to weird him
    out with the 15s ...

But hey, Mikey, keep us informed!

Quote Originally Posted by demon View Post
    news:
    i got a swedish chair (hey heather!)(thats living room furniture, right? it fits!!) and got the subwooferprototyps ala DIPOL connected.
    it works (with lots of EQ)--
    im sitting close to them and can hear alot of bass. BUT i think thats because i hit some hard room-modes right now.
    after driving the subs around in the room i settled them right in front of the sweetspot in about 15o cm distance, befor that i had them behind the sweet spot in 1oo cm distance and the bass was much weaker (7dB) and clearer.
    --so i really think i deal with room modes right now.

as soon as i find the time i will build better, stronger baffles, because the ones i have are built from cheapest scrap-parts from some ikea kitchen, and try some different mounting and positioning. cool would be a sub-cluster hanging from the ceiling, but im afraid the anchors would work their way out of the ceiling when given 18" vibrations 24/7 (im living in a very old house).

i will keep you informed on my progress.

cheers,
    mikey

ps.
    yes, the boxes look ugly in contrast to the beatiful horn, but please dont forget they are just the protos.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Hey, Mikey,

WOW!! Your new system looks like it kicks some Bootie!! I'd love to hear it, someday, but don't know when, or if, Sweet Bride and I would ever get over your way! Congrats on your success, and hey, I liked the poem, too!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Hi, Mikey!!

Here is a salute from Scandinavia!!
    Very nice system!! Your 2360's look gorgeous upon the 2206 cabinets. What subwoofers and xo do you use? Keep us posted.

Regards,
    Espen

Thread Information