Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: frankensteins monitors

JBL 4645
    demon

Oh, very nice. I like the JBL 2380A cinema HF horns that are used in smaller cinemas very nice. I was looking at the image and thinking they look like 12” bass mid drivers and I was right as I was reading down on the first page.

I like that you’ve chosen the DCX2496 its smart little loudspeaker management crossover system, that is versatile and flexible to use once you’ve had many hands on hours with it.

Quote Originally Posted by demon View Post

good news:
    and to top it all off i finally found a pair of freakin' 236o ---YES!!!
    i will catch them in a few weeks. the 236oies are a very rare item in europe, as i see it. even if i dont use them, i will place them in my apartment because of their very neat industrial looks. oh, looks like i finally became fond of these special horncraziness...

thanks a bunch,
    mikey
    Hi Mikey
    Wauw, where did you get 2360 horns? They are nearly impossible to find (cheap) in Europe. I ended up buying 2350 horns instead because I couldn´t find 2360. A friend of mine has 1 single 2360 and 1 single 2366 horn. We have tried long to fin a match for both of them, without luck.
    It is simply too expensive to buy them in the US and pay for shipping and 100% import tax.
    Good luck, can't wait to see pictures
    Vern

hey!

well, im really glad i found the mighty, and let me say this: very sexy, 236o, and for a reasonable price. not really cheap, but its okay. it will be a nice journey to berlin soon, and im very much looking forward to it.
    and yes, i cant wait to see pictures too!
    in the mean time, lets take a look at this little gem:

though the 238oA are very good and do exactly what i want em to do, i couldnt resist the craving. every man dreams about REALLY big butts sometimes, not?

-----------------------------------
    the DCX is a really nice tool. trying out different settings is so easy with it.
    when my system is done i will work to get the signals all digital, from the cd/computer right into the DCX. so that there is only one digital/analog step in the chain, and not like it is now, 3.
    problem is to get the volume control after the DCX = expensive.

bullets

-----------------------------------

interesting horn for the 1o", thanks pos.
    but what i really dont know is if the 2123 is made for such action. can it handle it?
    in the end, i could imagine building something beautiful like that:

(courtesy of user OLDGEN)
    for the 1o" and the 12", it dont look like needing more space than a closed/ported box at all. IF the 2123 will work well in such a horn.
    can somebody telll me?

then again, i should really start worrying about the subbass.

yours worried,
    mikey

JBL 4645

demon

The JBL 4647-A is also on my wish list of must buys three of course, someday maybe someday??

How have you solved the hiss issue on channel 6 on the DCX2496 when used as LCR?

Inputs
    1 left
    2 centre
    3 right

Left channel 1 LF
    Left channel 2 HF
    Centre channel 3 LF
    Centre channel 4 HF
    Right channel 5 LF
    Right channel 6 HF this one tends to hiss the most when the level output-level is increased!

The hiss issue seems to be around (4 to 9KHz)?

Those Horn loaded enclosures look mean and those HF horns wow I bet they dispraise sound out on wide angle with narrow vertical no?

impossible..!

but wait, it looks like to be just a single horn. who would need that?
    verner?

anyway, thanks for thinking about me pos.
    i have found my horns already and will be tripping soon (looking soooo much forward) to take them to my warm and comfy home.
    what du you personally think of the 2360ies?
    did you ever hear them?

cheers,
    mikey

edit:
    Left channel 1 LF
    Left channel 2 HF
    Centre channel 3 LF
    Centre channel 4 HF
    Right channel 5 LF
    Right channel 6 HF this one tends to hiss the most when the level output-level is increased!

The hiss issue seems to be around (4 to 9KHz)?

i never noticed that, and i never read the manual. do you mean that this is just normal with a DCX, or do you have a defect in yours?
    anyway i will try to check that when i rebuild my rig.

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    I can’t read German is that 1 JBL 2360A or 2 or several of those huge horn HF? Wow seems like a good deal.

Those HF horns sound awesome in the cinema! I‘ve heard them in at least 6 different types of cinema auditoriums three of which were THX.

I’d snap them up hope the compression driver is in good nick.

Come on Demon, you know you want a center channel!!
    did you ever hear them?
    nope, never heard them

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    Come on Demon, you know you want a center channel!!

nope, never heard them
    Matching set of loudspeakers communally called LCR for most cinemas and homes and some cinemas even use L Lex C Rex R five matching JBL 26360A horns or 4675-A never mismatch the fronts it is the art form of sound for cinema and the home as well.

Five screen JBL sound power looks like this at the famous Empire Leicester Square London. JBL at its best 56KW peak!

JBL 4645
    impossible..!

but wait, it looks like to be just a single horn. who would need that?
    verner?

anyway, thanks for thinking about me pos.
    i have found my horns already and will be tripping soon (looking soooo much forward) to take them to my warm and comfy home.
    did you ever hear them?

cheers,
    mikey

edit:

i never noticed that, and i never read the manual. do you mean that this is just normal with a DCX, or do you have a defect in yours?
    anyway i will try to check that when i rebuild my rig.
    I had whale of time, bang my head against the wall with it the first time! I forget to un-mate the output channels that were all marked in RED!

I had to enter a setting on the unit to enable to run in the LCR LF HF configuration I even lost the settings a few times and had to start all over again. Now that I’ve had more than years hands on and some even longer its not a bad (loudspeaker crossover management system) for the price!

If you look around on Google product search in your region of the world you’ll find a supplier that will be doing the DCX2496 far less from the first place you brought it from.

I could have saved nearly £30.00 pounds if I knew about Google product search early of last year.

Once set-up for LCR LF HF or if you like to tri-amp the loudspeakers LF MF HF then you’ll need another DCX2496 because with tri-amp you can only run two inputs and three-outputs from the DCX2496.

Or run it in four-way or I think its possible to run in 6-way but that’s really starting to get silly and the cost would soon sky rocket though the roof! Even with simple stereo because you’ll need separate stereo amplifiers and the bulk of it all would have to be kept in another room because of clutter and all those amps will have a low mild transform humming sound coming from the rank, in quiet room.

But if sonic fidelity 6-way is your thing just remember to notify the national power grid when you turn it all on!

i got no space left for a center

im looking forward to try the big cheeks out. i hope they will go very low, i always wanted to have a full-bandwidth horn, or coax-system.
    putting the tweeter inside the hornmouth somewhere, im coming close at least.
    (ok, there are great koax-drivers ive already auditioned)
    the 12" midbass will work alright, but im still worrying about my subwoofers. the dipole prototype will show wich direction to go.
    oh and did i mention i got a nice pair of 2123? yes? dont think i will use them if the big cheeks will keep their erotic in the lower regions.

cheers, and stay tuned (i know i will!),
    mikey

i have two DCX and im not scared of going the PENTA-AMPED way.
    at least, to try things out --and if i have to correct the subwoofer (may will be four in the room on different locations) department alot in case of groupdelays and frequency, i think i will at least tetra-amp the rig.

in the end, if everything works fine, i can imagine building a quality crossover for some parts of the system to get down to a fine tri- or bi-amped setup.

for trying out things, im all set with my gear and am not afraid to use it.
    oh yeah, i will use one DCX for the left (2)(thats number "2") channel, and the other one for the other one, the other one beeing (1), right (1), right?

cheers,
    mikey

JBL 4645
    i got no space left for a center

im looking forward to try the big cheeks out. i hope they will go very low, i always wanted to have a full-bandwidth horn, or coax-system.
    putting the tweeter inside the hornmouth somewhere, im coming close at least.
    (ok, there are great koax-drivers ive already auditioned)
    the 12" midbass will work alright, but im still worrying about my subwoofers. the dipole prototype will show wich direction to go.
    oh and did i mention i got a nice pair of 2123? yes? dont think i will use them if the big cheeks will keep their erotic in the lower regions.

cheers, and stay tuned (i know i will!),
    mikey
    Rubbish you’re just stubborn my room is far smaller than yours and I’ve got enough room if I had the money and yes I’d stuff three cinema PA cabs and horns up front but I don’t have the money for such an exotic JBL true cinema LCR.

That’s why I’m using what I have and I have five JBL control 5 up front that is 7 feet 11” across and that is tiny.

Worried, worried I’m astonished that you’ve mentioned that.

Get a few more DCX2496 that is what they were designed for to eliminate worries and stress that is why its called a (loudspeaker crossover management system) to mange the sound output it has audio limiters to protect sudden outputs of dynamic range from busting in the loudspeakers and prolong its usage over the years.

JBL 4645
    i have two DCX and im not scared of going the PENTA-AMPED way.
    at least, to try things out --and if i have to correct the subwoofer (may will be four in the room on different locations) department alot in case of groupdelays and frequency, i think i will at least tetra-amp the rig.

in the end, if everything works fine, i can imagine building a quality crossover for some parts of the system to get down to a fine tri- or bi-amped setup.

for trying out things, im all set with my gear and am not afraid to use it.
    oh yeah, i will use one DCX for the left (2)(thats number "2") channel, and the other one for the other one, the other one beeing (1), right (1), right?

cheers,
    mikey

Try the phase and make sure polarity is wired correctly at the speaker outputs to inputs once that is cheeked out okay, you can change the settings at the push of few buttons without touching the wiring.

The subs should be placed as close as possible next to each other unless its (stereo sub bass) that your experimenting with?

Caution

Remember to use ear-plugs don’t be hero the output is fucking LOUD! Use the dial on the DCX2496 to attenuate, reduce or increase the level and watch that the outputs on the amplifiers isn’t too high because you can damage the loudspeakers if mishandled.

stereophonic, of course!

Thread Information