Thread: bi amp 4343's ???

bi amp 4343's ???

i would like to use a 12 wpc tube amp on some 4343. problem is that i get no bass. i have a b-380 w/ its cross over. can i use this cross over for the 15's with a ss amp and use the tube amp on top? or must i have a specific x-over? what are my options?

thank you in advance

by the way; i am new to all this, so if you wish to chime in, do so like you are talking to a 5 yr. old.........lol

Hello rj

You need an active crossover between the woofer and the rest of the drivers. The BX-63 is not a suitable alternate. Take a look at the owners manual for the 5234 or 5235 Active Crossovers. It will explain what you need to know. These are what JBL used on these monitors. You can also use a more modern active like an Ashley of one of the JBL's like the M552 as an example.

Rob

biamping....

hi, I had the same problems with bass response beeing weak running my 4333 with a mcintosh 2275 (KT88 all tube integrated). I finally had a local expert split the crossover. the bass drivers are now driven by a klein+hummel transistor amp (2 x 100 watt) and mid/hf drivers by the mcintosh. the jbls really woke up!! performance is superb now. darius

I don't believe you !

Quote Originally Posted by berlinhifi View Post
    hi, I had the same problems with bass response beeing weak running my 4333 with a mcintosh 2275 (KT88 all tube integrated). I finally had a local expert split the crossover. the bass drivers are now driven by a klein+hummel transistor amp (2 x 100 watt) and mid/hf drivers by the mcintosh. the jbls really woke up!! performance is superb now. darius
    I will just have to come and hear it for myself

Rich

i tried a SAE 2800 EQ, i did not like the sound of it. maybe, i have to play with it more to fine tune it... i tried 2- b 380's with the 4343's using a TRIAD sub amp. the mids and hf sounded choked, not as clear. but, the lf was great.

hear for yourself....

rich, you're allways welcome to hear for yourself! and what about your removal plans?
    darius

First: like said in other posts, you need an active x-over. Second: How the h*ll can you expect the woofer to perform with 12W? They need several 100's to do their best. I use 750W on them, and it is easy to drain that power if I want.

Get a grip to reality and don't believe that sensitivity / watt is what you think is enough.

P.S. I use 400W on the upper level, and that is not enough .. sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by rj2077 View Post
    i would like to use a 12 wpc tube amp on some 4343. problem is that i get no bass. i have a b-380 w/ its cross over. can i use this cross over for the 15's with a ss amp and use the tube amp on top? or must i have a specific x-over? what are my options?

thank you in advance

by the way; i am new to all this, so if you wish to chime in, do so like you are talking to a 5 yr. old.........lol

Thread Information