Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 4way, 3way, 2way or co-axial?

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Hello Edgewound

I wonder if you could get a 2" throat driver to work in a 4" coil?? It looks like it's a tight fit with a 1" throat.

Hello Ian

Yes but they are no worse than the 2307/2405 combo used in the monitors. They can sound quite good on axis.

Rob

I have not heard a 604 for a while. Perhaps it was the honking. The Urei's were a better implementation. I guess if they could fit a 2307 in the centre with the depth we would not be having this discussion.

Hello Edgewound

I wonder if you could get a 2" throat driver to work in a 4" coil?? It looks like it's a tight fit with a 1" throat.

Rob
    Yes, Rob.

PAS makes a 4"coil 15" & 12" for a 2" exit driver, that is meant to accept 3rd party drivers. The horn is a 60x30 dispersion. PAS was at some point the supplier for Urei monitors.

Radian also makes 4" coil 15" & 12" with integral 3" diaphragm 1.4" exit drivers.

Like you said...if your listening in a tight window, power response matters less. But if you're many feet away the dispersion spreads out, and large format drivers are better for far field listening anyway.

It helps to have an open mind....

If it sounds good to the listener....it is good.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

As much as I like the 801C coax I really like the JBL 10"s both the 2122 and 2123 and the 8" 2108 in a set-up. There is just something they bring to the mix, clarity, naturalness hard to say exactly what it is. I am really partial to either a 4 way or a 3 way with subs.

Rob
    Rob, I just have to chime in here wrt your 10" comment. To me, both are really special. I find it interesting that I can't label which one is "best" between the two. Yet, they both are, without doubt, very special -yet different, drivers, when used appropriately.

I guess if they could fit a 2307 in the centre with the depth we would not be having this discussion.
    Hello Ian

They could. A 2307 is about a 1/2" shorter than the Urei horn when you measure from the bug screen.

Thanks Edge

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    When I met Steve Schell in LA he neatly explained the short comings of the larger Coaxial designs like the Altec 604 series. As is hinted above the problem is blending the dispersion of the "larger woofer" with the dispersion of the "smaller" at the crossover point.
    That's exactly right. I have a dual concentric 12" Tannoy with 1" compression driver and it sounds great in one narrow spot where the blend is perfect. They were great in a studio where your locked to one position but, useless in a general listening environment.
    I liked the 4430 2way because the bi-radial had an excellent dispersion match up with the 15. The image was physically the same size from top to bottom....would have enjoyed a super tweeter on top though.
    I'm surprised there are not more endorsements for the classic 43xx 4ways which many of us have.

Quote Originally Posted by Akira View Post
    I'm surprised there are not more endorsements for the classic 43xx 4ways which many of us have.
    What are you talking about... there are quite a lot of threads just gushing about them.

But then again, there are quite a few threads by people gushing about their dome tweetered systems as well.

Widget

That's exactly right. I have a dual concentric 12" Tannoy with 1" compression driver and it sounds great in one narrow spot where the blend is perfect. They were great in a studio where your locked to one position but, useless in a general listening environment.
    I liked the 4430 2way because the bi-radial had an excellent dispersion match up with the 15. The image was physically the same size from top to bottom....would have enjoyed a super tweeter on top though.
    The 4430-35 series was more of a long running commercial success. the 4435 being the preferred candidate (over the 4430).

I would add the 43xx have limted vertical coverage with that horn and slot.

There has been a lot of rambling over preferences for both the 43XX series and the 44XX series. With a lot of messing around with setup the more recent 4344-4345 have their following

I would add the 43xx have limted vertical coverage with that horn and slot.
    My point in my previous post. Pea shooters.

Rob

After many personal trials and tribulations, that's why I am still here at the LHS! I remain totally gob-smacked about how well these apparent "flawed" (by some) designs reproduce sound.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I suppose.

My point in my previous post. Pea shooters.

Rob
    I thought your freakin chair was adjustable.....unless it was kicked out from under you...LOl .

All jokes aside when I clear the bench of some long outstanding jobs (sorry to those waiting) I plan to look at those DMS 1 horns Subwoofer sent over.

Without a doubt those horns are awkward at distances under 3 metres.

But I think the bi radials on the 44XX series are too much the other way in all directions for home use.

How are your PT wave guides going?

Quote Originally Posted by Chas View Post
    After many personal trials and tribulations, that's why I am still here at the LHS! I remain totally gob-smacked about how well these apparent "flawed" (by some) designs reproduce sound.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I suppose.
    There certainly have been some trials and tribulations.

RIP 2009
    DMS 1 horns...
    I know Zilch has done some testing with those, (2332, correct?). I'm not sure if he posted curves here, but you might be able to de-duplicate efforts by checking his observations.

John

Obsolete
    But I think the bi radials on the 44XX series are too much the other way in all directions for home use.
    Having used them in quite a few homes since they were first introduced I don't think so at all, but use the TAD or 476Be on the 90 x 50 waveguide instead if you want.

I guess you can alway pick on home listening room where they will work but we have seen a number of posts here where they don't.

If you guys go into the Library JBL talk about contolled coverage in their consumer series......yawn. I dont see 100 x 100 degree bi radial horns in any of the consumer series. I guess they didn't think it was a good idea. Nor do I. Inevitably, low ceilings and large flat surfaces like glass side walls in domestic environments are an issue. Either way the 44XX series was deliberately designed for a flat power response on recording control room.

Their seems to be some contradicting philosophical viewpoints being espoused from common cogniscenti on the merits of coax vs controlled directivity formats that have wide format dispersion.

One given, is that some formats are more appropriate than others for a given listening space.

I guess debate and opinion is the only thing that's constant.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Thread Information