Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Question about S38

FredEmmerich

Question about S38

Does the S38 need to be set in any particular orientation? Would laying horizontal vs. vertical make any difference in sound?

thanks
    Fred

AFAIK, they're designed for either orientation. They have such a small footprint, I run mine horizontal on bookshelves. They drivers are clustered tightly enough that it shouldn't matter.

They are also mirror imaged so they will most definitely work either way. The one thing that might change a little is the tweeter. The EOS waveguide gives more horizontal dispersion when the box is horizontal and more vertical dispersion when the box is vertical. I play mine vertical and keep them well aimed.

S38 vs S38 II

I've got a chance to grab a set of S38 speakers, actually to choose between 2 sets ...
    Both are in that darned black ash finish, and both feature a set of stands, which are also black.
    Both claim to be in excellent condition, tho I haven't seen them yet.

One set is a matched pair of S38 II, and one is a pair of S38 including a center (as yet unseen).

Thoughts, comments?

I thought they might be an upgrade for my existing L20Ts in the rear/surround position, perhaps be a better match for the LC2 Center I just got.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

I owned a pair of S38II's for about 2 years. I used them for 2 channel stereo and had them on sand filled stands (26" off the ground).

They reproduced well but no real bass IMO, to speak of.

Yank
    Basement: JBL SVA-1800 and 2226H DIY Enclosures Computer room: Control-5:Control SB-2 Living room: JBL 240ti

Quote Originally Posted by bigyank View Post
    I owned a pair of S38II's for about 2 years. I used them for 2 channel stereo and had them on sand filled stands (26" off the ground).

They reproduced well but no real bass IMO, to speak of.

Yank
    Cool - so I'll assume for $100 they are probably fine for rears/surrounds, assuming Bass goes to subs and fronts.

Thanks for the info!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

They make nice surround speakers with the S412s up front. It's hard to say how they will mate up with your front speakers, but they are sure worth a try. They have decent bass for their size, maybe not quite as much as an L46 due to the smaller box, but close to that. The center that was made to go with them is the S-Center, which I can't recommend, but you can get a few bucks for them on E-Pay.

I know it seems counter-intuitive, but I'd buy the S38 over the S38II. The S38II (and other S Series II units) is the result of litigation brought by Bose against the design of the S38.
    Out.

Bose sucks! I know that the series 2 drivers cost a lot less, what else was changed?

There was quite a bit of discussion of this model here a year or so ago, as I recall. I remember reading this impressive review at that time.

http://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/365/

The biggest bone of contention was the port architecture. JBL and Infinity had to change the shape of the tube and pay royalties and damages to Bose of $8.3 million.

JBL also changed out the tweeter, redesigned the plastic baffle plate/waveguide assembly, and modified minor elements of the other drivers, such as cone color.
    Out.

I guess I should add that IMO the changes resulted in a somewhat less impressive speaker.
    Out.

I had 2 pair of S38II and an S centerII for a 5.1 rig setup mostly for gaming with HT as 2nd objective. They worked very well for HT though now that I have heard better the S center had an uncomfortable sound with deep voices even with 80 crossover. Always thought it was the DJs mic to close to his mouth but that changed when I bought an LC2. Much better. I used the S38IIs for surrounds and back surrounds later after getting L890s for mains and the S38II worked excellent as surrounds for HT! Eventually replaced them with L820s (only because I gotta good deal on them!) and now the S38IIs and ScenterII are back to a gaming rig. I think they sound pretty good though I've never heard the original S38s and would rather keep the IIs than sell them.

Local Craigslist ads - turned out the first seller had S38IIs also, with the S center and (2) stands. But they sounded good for the money and play well as surrounds. The S-center? Maybe I can sell/trade that, tho I haven't had any interest in the EC25 was trying tell sell ...

I had been watching L830 prices on the bay but just couldn't justify $200+ for a pair plus shipping when these were half that.

Anyway, thanks for the info everybody!

I have the L830s also, I wouldn't use them (as mains) with anything but the L810 and LC1. They sound slightly horny or something compared to the 4way L (from lacking a mid range speaker?). They may work great as surrounds, I preferred the S38IIs though as surrounds. Spent the spring experimenting with many combos of S seriesII, 3 and 4way L.

Thread Information