Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bi-Amp with T-Amp Top?

Follow up

To follow up, I ordered the Trends Audio unit.
    Thanks for all your input!
    I'll let u know how it goes.

scorpio
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywave-Rider View Post

Let us know what your immediate impression is when you finally go back to the SET amp.
    Well, this wasn't on my immediate plan, but it tickled my curiosity, so I did a quick & dirty swap tonight (meaning not the best connectors and setting the filter by ear). Result is that the SET has a more spacious presentation, and is clearly more refined in the highs than the Trends, it is also quieter when the ground loop is tamed.

It is however not shocking difference, I would live happily with both, but going back to the SET, I have to conclude that sonically, it is the superior of the two. Drawback is that it takes a lot more real estate and $.

I'll do a little fine tuning and listening for a couple of days, and at the week-end try to do some A/B swaps since I'll have the X-over dialed in for both by then, I'll let you know if I changed my mind,

Well Scorpio, it's good to know that beautiful technology can still prevail. Although the chip amp must be pretty decent to compete at that level. Let us know what happens when you tweak your setup.

I have not received delivery of the little Trends amp yet.

Got my Behringer CX3400 running today. Still don't have the Trends amp, so using my Magnavox 6v6 tube amp on top. Sounds good, fun to play with. Easy to set up, especially with RTA.

By the time I get the chip amp, I'll hopefully have my BMS drivers. (Using a dome tweeter for the moment on this setup.)

Shhhhh....

Folks'll think this is easy with the right tools....

Trends here

I have my Trends Audio chip amp. BMS drivers are still in transit, so I can't check it with the eventual biamp system.

Using the Trends amp on my Heresys is fun. Pleasant top end, not much low end power as expected.

And I note that I have heard this sound before. Must be the same amp chip used in Tivoli radios. A little grainy. At the same time, clean when not overdriven. Not tube like, as the manufacturers hype.

Should be good amping the top end though.

Barely gets warm on my efficient Klipsch.

I don't play anything too loudly in my apt. though.

Quote Originally Posted by Skywave-Rider View Post
    And I note that I have heard this sound before. Must be the same amp chip used in Tivoli radios. A little grainy.
    FWIW I've never believed much in amp break-in, but I've read more than a few times that the chip sound grainy out of the box. I bought mine used and I don't notice any grain at all unless it's on the recording.

Did you try your other power supply? I noticed a big difference in sound stage size and open-ness when I went to a better power supply.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve71 View Post
    Did you try your other power supply? I noticed a big difference in sound stage size and open-ness when I went to a better power supply.
    Not yet Steve. I will but I have to dig around for the right connector and then make up a cable.

It's a good product and reasonably priced.
    I get the turn on transients but they are of no consequence.

OH! Forgot to mention. Standard dual banana plugs are slightly too wide for the binding posts on the amp.
    You'd have to use single banana plugs to make that work, or bare wire, as I am doing.

The T-Amp biamp setup is working great, though I am waiting for parts to finalize my passive compensation circuit for the BMS 4550s. Right now I'm EQing to flatten the top end. Here are some pics, the Trends amp is on the T-Table.

The Crown PS200 for low end, Behringer DCX3300 active analog crossover, DEQ2496 for EQ/RTA, the Technics amp is for my Heresys. The speakers are EV Sentrys with a JBL horn on top and BMS drivers. Dome tweeter is disabled. X-over is 1.2kHz.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Hey Skywave! Like the set-up you got there, that JVC CD player looks very familiar, is that the XL-V-141? That was my first player, I still have mine from 91-93, works great and I love a lot of the simple features that it came with. Sounds like you'r having some fun
    Just Play Music.

Thanks, Krunchy. Seems like I'm always waiting for Parts Express shipments....

Well you have a good eye. But the JVC is a XLV241. I've had it forever too. Good converter on that. Keeps on playin'. Thought I'd have some new format player by now, but it never happened.

Want to hear those JBLs, when's the listening party....?

Hi Skywave, Packages from parts express are always good, Seawolf turned me onto them, wish more companies were like them, quick and efficient.
    The listening Party (emphasis on the latter here) will probably take place when it gets a little warmer out, probably may or june, should be fun getting to meet other LH members in person. I'll keep postd. dig the new ayvatar .
    Just Play Music.

Thread Information